* W10 upgrade broke my FH7?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Bywong
Family Historian: V7

W10 upgrade broke my FH7?

Post by Bywong »

Just tried to open my FH7, but Windows is telling me that it 'can't run this app'. It also won't uninstall so that I can re-install my download. Last W10 upgrade was April 13, 2021—KB5001330 (OS Builds 19041.928 and 19042.928), I think that is the only one since I last opened FH. As I can't open it, I can't say what my FH build was, but my email is dated 21 February.

Has anyone else had a problem following a W10 update? Any suggestions as to the next step

Thanks in advance

Ed
tatewise
Megastar

Re: W10 upgrade broke my FH7?

Post by tatewise »

It is not usually necessary to uninstall FH in order to re-install FH.
Try the download from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7 which is FH V7.0.3 and the latest approved version.
When performing the re-install right-click the installation executable and choose Run as administrator even if running in an Administrator account.

BTW: Could you update your Profile to the right of your postings to say FH V7.
Click on your username and Edit Profile and after setting V7 scroll down to Submit.

Furthermore, I usually tell Windows Update to pause for at least 7 days just before the 2nd Tuesday of every month (Windows Update Tuesday) to allow glitches in updates to be resolved by other more adventurous users.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Just for the record, I also ran the latest Windows Update on my laptop (that I run FH on) when it was released and have had no problems using FH 7.0.3 or AS.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The OP says Email was dated 21 February which would have been FH V7.0.2.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Ah, didn't tie those together!
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
Bywong

Post by Bywong »

Thanks for those suggestions. Profile updated. I am running v7.03.

After a couple of tries to load FH, and then to remove it before reinstalling, I gave up, and posted the above.

So just before bed I gave it another try, and bingo it opened as normal. No idea what happened there, and what changed/made a difference, but it would seem that all is well (until next time anyway lol). I had been planning on shutting down overnight, and then restarting the PC this morning in case that made a difference, but I forgot and left it running overnight, so whatever happened was within the same session.

Is there a repair function associated with the download? I will either do that - if available - or remove/reinstall in the hope of cleaning up anything within the program itself that might have caused/contributed to the problem.

I like the idea about delaying the W10 monthly updates, never liked pioneering stuff, thanks for that suggestion tatewise - is that automated, or do you manually do it every month?

Thanks again!

Ed
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Ed,

It looks like your profile still shows V6. You have to scroll down and click on Submit after changing the version number.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Bywong

Post by Bywong »

Thanks Bill, I thought I had but now fixed I hope.

Ed
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Looks good now.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A Shut down and boot up in Windows 10 does not usually 'repair' much because its fast start feature caches your profile including any bugs. So those bugs remain after a reboot. A better option is Restart that does not use the fast start profile and so takes a little longer but does often fix glitches. Maybe your PC did an automatic Windows Update and Restart overnight.

The method of deferring Windows Updates depends partly on which Windows version you have (Home, Pro, etc) and what type of update you want to defer (Feature, Quality, Security). A Google search for "how to defer windows update windows 10" should give you some ideas. For Windows 10 Home, I think you have to remember to pause each month, but with all the modern calendar gizmos it should be easy to set a reminder.