* FMP ... Again

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

FMP ... Again

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
I have just received an email from FMP to say that the British subscription is no longer available. The new subscription includes extra records, it did not mention newspapers. I will be informed when my subscription is due what the cost is. Am I being cynical in thinking that this is a way of them not being accused of a large hike in fees just for the 1921 census when it is rolled out in January? :roll:
Ann
PS Just read Lost Cousins newsletter and Peter thinks the 1921 will be separate cost anyway.
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FMP ... Again

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I was about to make the point that the 1921 census is likely to be pay-per-view initially, based on how they've handled similar new large datasets before.
MickRalph
Gold

Post by MickRalph »

My initial thought is that it is just a way of getting everyone on the PRO subscription rate and thus getting more income. I will wait to see what discount (if any) they offer to existing subscribers. I may cancel at that time and see whether they then offer a reduced rate to stay as a subscriber. I have very little interest in overseas records, except perhaps some Irish ones.

Mick Ralph
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

MickRalph wrote: 16 Apr 2021 20:07 ... I have very little interest in overseas records, except perhaps some Irish ones ...
Yes that was (sort-of) my position. The world stuff that I did need seemed to be fully available on Ancestry and I could keep FMP to UK. And then I started looking at Irish stuff some of which is indeed on Ancestry.... And some isn't... Curses...
Adrian
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Yes, I don't even have Irish. My area of interest is England. I am not interested in foreign records. It is annoying when you do not even have the choice.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 16 Apr 2021 07:53 I was about to make the point that the 1921 census is likely to be pay-per-view initially, based on how they've handled similar new large datasets before.
That's disappointing...I had hoped maintaining my subscription (which I use regularly anyway) would mean I wouldn't have to pay extra for 1921. Argh!

Oh well.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm just extrapolating from previous experience, Theresa -- we might get a nice surprise.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Yeah! And pigs might fly :D :D :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
rodit
Famous

Post by rodit »

I received the same email offering a lot of records I will not use - Irish and American (a lot of basic Australian and NZ records are available for free already, or on Ancestry).
When I queried FMP about the probable increase in price, plus 1921 Census records, I was told that "as a a loyal subscriber, we’re giving you 25% off the first renewal of your new 12-month PRO subscription. That means when your subscription next renews it will cost £119.99. After that, your subsequent renewals will be billed including the standard 15% loyalty discount at a price of £135.99".
I am presently paying £101.96 for the British records.
There was also the option of changing to Plus for £101.99 giving British and Irish, but no newspapers.
As has been suggested here, the same email advised that 1921 Census records will be pay-per-view.
Regards
Roger
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 20 Apr 2021 16:43 I'm just extrapolating from previous experience, Theresa -- we might get a nice surprise.
Will just have to keep fingers crossed! There's so much I'll need to see in the 1921 census, but only so much I can afford to spend to do so.

T
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz