* Diagram Box contents for Titles

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David Hawkins
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Diagram Box contents for Titles

Post by David Hawkins »

I have been helping my granddaughter with a project to produce a family tree of the royal family. What I want to do is have the title (say Queen Victoria) as well as the actual name (in this case Alexandrina Victoria) in the box. This is more important with recent kings who have had names totally different from their regnal titles. I have recently discovered some titled ancestors on my wife's side of the family, so this is not just an academic exercise.

I have spent many hours trying to change the box format to accommodate this, without any acceptable results. If you put the title in as occupation, then the word occupation also appears. I have used Icons to give an indication of royalty, but they look untidy. Can they be put inside the box as they were in Vn 4?

The only solution I have found is to type the regnal title separately and save it as a jpeg. It can then be inserted as a picture at the side of the box, not ideal but usable.

An suggestions would be very welcome. Many thanks.

David Hawkins
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Diagram Box contents for Titles

Post by tatewise »

Why not use the standard Title fact?
That is exactly what it is intended for.

It can be entered via the Name more (+)... Names & Titles dialogue.
You can also add the Date and Place the Title was acquired via the Facts tab.

Then the Text Scheme can add whatever text you prefer wherever you prefer it just for the Title fact.

BTW: Do not edit a standard Text Scheme but use Clone... to create a custom copy and then Edit Text Scheme....
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by AdrianBruce »

I suggest that you need to alter the Text Scheme for the diagram type in question to use the standard attribute Title.

Right click on the diagram; then diagram options; then the text tab.

Select the text scheme that you are using (if it's a standard scheme, it's probably a good idea to clone it to a unique name first before editting the clone); edit; select Title in the left box and click ">" to move it into the right box.

The first image shows what the right-hand of my scheme looks like now:
Screenshot 2021-02-23 154219.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-23 154219.jpg (28.86 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
You can see in the 2nd image what my Title line in the text scheme looks like:
Screenshot 2021-02-23 154240.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-23 154240.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
I note that mine has a date just in case I feel the need to date titles. And this is an example:
Screenshot 2021-02-23 154250.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-23 154250.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
NB - I have no idea whether those values for my illustrious probable non-ancestor are correct or not. It's my much-modified Sample project.
Adrian
David Hawkins
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by David Hawkins »

Mike and Adrian, many thanks for your helpful replies.

Mike, I am fully aware of the Title attribute in the Facts list, as that is where all my titles are stored. What I did NOT know was how to transfer them to the Box, and since Occupation was included in one of the standard schemes in Diagram Options, I chose to use that.

Because FH is such a powerful program, there are many facilities which are not used (by me at least) every day (very much like most of the options in Microsoft Office). I have found many answers in the excellent FHUG documentation, but again as there is so much it is often difficult to know where to look. I suspect I am not the only person with this issue. The programming syntax itself is not too difficult - my problem is when and where to use it. Assistance from experts like you is then invaluable to the ordinary user like myself and is much appreciated. Thankyou.

Adrian, your worked example was extremely clear, and answered some questions I had not even thought about. My granddaughter is extremely impressed by the new-look document, but wants to know how you get a title! Again, many thanks.

David