* FH7 general observation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Pentris
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH7 general observation

Post by Pentris »

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed this anomaly as I haven’t seen a posting.
When looking at hints from FMP within FH window I always used to drag and drop into the Citation Notes box and it all stayed in the same format. Now in FHv7 it concatenates it all into one long unreadable line.
However if you use a external webpage for FMP and copy and paste the data into the same Citation Notes box it puts it into nice easily readable boxes.
Attachments
drag and drop example.JPG
drag and drop example.JPG (276.03 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
copy and pasts example.JPG
copy and pasts example.JPG (276.29 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: FH7 general observation

Post by Jane »

If you drag and drop, I suspect the text is moved as is.

When you copy to the clipboard, all the different formats are loaded so FH can use the HTML format to provide you a table.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It depends on how much you include in the selected data you copy.
If you start on First name(s) ... or later then the dropped/pasted text is unformatted.
But start in the grey box just above and the dropped/pasted text is formatted into a table.

I suspect that some crucial table formatting code is missing if you start the selection below the grey box.

It does not matter whether you Copy & Paste or Drag & Drop, it is the original selection that is crucial.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

FHv6 drag and drop kept the text in the same tabular appearance as the original. As you can see from my screen dump FH7 strips out all the carriage returns and blank lines.
Both screen dumps show that the selection area is the same, from 'First' etc.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am a bit confused about your screenshots, which both show FH V7 rich text Citation Note boxes.
You lower screenshot shows a neat table that has presumably been copied into FH V7.
As I said, what is crucial is whether you start selecting in the grey box just above First name(s) or position the cursor in the white space just too the left of First name(s).

FH V6 cannot keep the tabular format because it has no structured table formatting features.
I have just tried FH V6 and it produces a list as shown below

First name(s)
Edward A

Last name
Munro

Birth year

Birth month
Jan

Birth day
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

Mike you are correct. I have used this method since drag and drop was introduced. It was only an observation, not a complaint, that FH7 works differently in producing a concatenated line and not the layout FH6 produced.
Discussion closed.