* Double entries

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mallingman
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Double entries

Post by mallingman »

On a couple of occasions I have found that two sides of my family (distant) have married and this has left me with double entries for the individuals after merging. The Husband and Wife will each be shown on the same page one above the other and the full ancestors above them in each case. They have the same record numbers in each case so I can't further merge.
Would really appreciate some help. I have been using this programme for over a year and purchased it after changing to a laptop with Windows 10, another problem I have is it frequently crashes.
Help please.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Double entries

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

When merging couples, you need to merge the family record as well as the individual records
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Do you mean double entries in the Focus Window or double entries in Diagrams linked by coloured ribbons?

As John says, the former can be corrected by merging two Family records, which can be found in the Records Window under the Families tab and then using the Edit > Merge/Compare Records command. If you are unsure how to do that then we can give more detailed instructions.

The latter is an unavoidable side effect of a couple having shared common ancestors via two different branches.
i.e. A direct descendant tree from those common ancestors will show the couple in two separate branches along with all their descendants being duplicated.
The best you can do is adjust the Diagram options to mitigate the effect, e.g.
  • Hide one of the duplicated branches
  • Limit the ancestral generations so the shared common ancestors are excluded
  • Hide the coloured ribbons
We can give more detailed instructions if you are unsure about those options.

Regarding FH crashes, you contributed to the thread FH 6.2.7 Randomly closing (17647), but have you followed any of the advice provided? If so, what have you tried?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mallingman
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by mallingman »

Thanks for above,