* Quarter dates in Facts tab

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Quarter dates in Facts tab

Post by Mark1834 »

Quick question - is it possible to display quarter dates in the Facts tab please? In the attached screen grab from the Sample Project, the marriage date is entered as a quarter date, but only the year is displayed. If I enter a broader range involving months, it is truncated to years only (eg bet Apr 1956 and Apr 1957 is displayed as 1956-1957).
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (41.05 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Ideally, I would like it to display a simple quarter as in the detailed data entry where that is appropriate (e.g. Q4 1950 in this example), and automatically switch between 1956-1957 and Apr 1956 - Apr 1957 depending on the column width. Diagrams and Reports seem to use the quarter date correctly and display more detailed ranges, so it is mainly the Facts tab that is different.

Incidentally, is there a subtle difference between "frm...to..." and "bet...and..."? To me, the former implies a continuous event, while the latter may be more a single event sometime between the two limits stated, but I don't know if that is the formal definition.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Quarter dates in Facts tab

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Quick answer re Q date: I don't believe so.

"from"..."to": A date period, which is inclusive, e.g., the fact to which it is attached took place
over the whole period. For example, you might record that Colin Entwhistle’s cccupation was a Carpenter frm July 1917 to May 1923.

"btw" ... "and": A date range. Signifies an event that took place some time in the given range. For example, you might record that Colin Entwhistle was born btw 1897 and 1901.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think it is possible to display quarter dates like that.

From ... to ... dates are meant to apply to an Attribute that was applicable over that period.
i.e. Occupation of gardner from X to Y or Resident at an address from X to Y

Between ... and ... date are meant to apply to an Event that happened in that range and not sure exactly when.
i.e. Born between X and Y or Retired between X and Y

The GEDCOM specification says the former should only be used with Attributes and the latter only with Events.

[snap :D ]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Thanks both - I thought that was the case, but the Sample Project is not fully consistent in its use of the two span alternatives, as many residences are recorded as "between and" rather than "from to".
Mark Draper
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

I would suggest those two uses are valid - it is quite possible that we know a person lived at a given address from a specific start to specific end date, while for somebody else we only know that they lived at a given address at some stage between two dates. The Sample project is therefore giving examples of both.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree