* Dealing with Media and Possible errors in an Ancestry Gedcom Import

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Billread
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Dealing with Media and Possible errors in an Ancestry Gedcom Import

Post by Billread »

Hi again
I have asked a bit about this before, but having looked around the site last night, read a great deal , inclusing the linked article on Importing from Ancestry, I still have some questions. I am on Vers 6.2.7

I have many occasions ( I would think lots of us do), when I have contact with people who's main trees are on Ancestry, and they do not use FTm or have linked software. I noted Ancestry does not give an option to export without media ( as some other places do, like My Heritage). When our connection is where I or they have found new branches to our family, the easiest way to get the information is exchange gedcom. But Many times that gedcom contains a lot of Media links, but not the actual Media.

IF the line that links is only a small number of people and not much data its easier to manually re enter the data, rather than have loads of White boxes showing on your gedcom people where the Media is actually missing.

BUT I recently did a lot of DNA work, and established with an Ancestry person that our link is My great Gran, who was illegitimate, and we have established the father on the Ancestry tree, , which is important, as the tree holds a whole missing line of my family. There is 631 Media mentioned as i Import the Ged into FH. When I look in the individual lists, & Media Tab, I can see who they are linked to.

Having flicked through the gedcom, there are around 140 people that relate to my branch or clade. And many have multiple missing Images, so possibly some 200+ Media relate to the line I which I wish to extract from that Gedcom, and when sorted and happy add to mine in FH. That leaves scope for a great many errors!!! AND the Blank boxes look awful, so as I dont add media to my FH files I would like Rid easily and safely

In the article on Importing just mentioned above is various advice, and i would like to just recap and see if understood it all correctly? and ask a few more questions.

1 I spent a couple of hours playing last night and this morning, and had read in a few places on the FH forum that it was not a good idea to mass dlete Media items as mentioned, IS this still the case? I tried deleting one by one, after having split the ged part I wanted, laborious, and not clear if left any 'residue' after my trilas.
So I imported the ged anew into FH, and notes again mentioned 631 media missing, there was no option to import as a Known Ancestry problem file?.

2 IN the end I I opened the media tab against individuals, and selected all media, added to a named list, and mass deleted. Then used the check for broken links plugin. Is this a reasonable way to deal with this problem, BUT more importantly are there any known issues that might arise from doing this, as per the advice mentioned in A. I at the moment cannot see anything obvious?

The gentleman concernedis sending the media as copies on a USb stick, including all the BMD's etc, so i can satisfy myself that the line is correct and all ok. Which is preferable to me.

3 The article states.. Always Import via creating a new FH project, as Vers 6.2 has built in error correction for 'many' things......

In the word many is a possible problem. Are there any known issues that will not automatically be taken care of by FH?
As I said earlier there was no option to say, on creating a project , that you were importing an Ancestry Ged.

4 If there is, are there specific plugins to deal with them that need running in addition to being on the latest FH version ?
5 As this is obviously a long standing problem, has any person who uses FH , who does similar, and has knowledge I dont,( perhaps in writing their own scripts etc), found simple ways to deal with any known outstanding issues.

Any other advice greatly appreciated, as I really would like a simple way out!

Bill Read
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Dealing with Media and Possible errors in an Ancestry Gedcom Import

Post by tatewise »

Hi Bill.

It is difficult to give comprehensive advice when migrating GEDCOM from such as Ancestry because (just like FH) users can customise their data and most products extend or don't follow the GEDCOM specification, but the issues that might arise depend on what features were used.

In the Import from Ancestry website advice, the how_to:import_from_ancestry#media_images|> Media Images section states what you describe:
the GEDCOM file does NOT download any linked Media images, but does include Media records.
It then gives advice about how to obtain linked Media image files.

One way to remove all Media records is the File > Split Tree Helper command and its Delete all Multimedia Records option.
However, I suspect you plan to use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM file command to extract just the branch of people you want to merge into your main Project. That command has a similar Media Records: Exclude option.

The warnings about deleting Media Records assume they are linked to Media files and also may contain useful data.
In this case of Ancestry imported Media Records neither applies, so mass deletion is OK.

Having deleted all Media Records there cannot be any broken links to Media files as neither exist.

Regarding other issues, as with any imported GEDCOM check the Window > Log Files for reports.
At the bottom of the how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian there is a collection of plugins designed to fix any residual problems indicated by the reports and also to fix UDF.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

HI Mike
thanks for response. Yes you are right I thought easiest way was Import as a project into FH, clear it out, then extract my people on the line I wanted.
I did just first open the gedcom and try dealing with issues , without it being an FH project. I then EXPORTED without the media option, but all that part wasnt removed. So I added as An FH project, and did the mass deleteion I described before.

I get what you say that people could have customised things. But the gent in question has only used the basics, and doesnt even use a standalone FH program and is limited in what he does. But fortunatel for me, he did get all the original papers for the line, and is sending.

The IMPORTING from Ancestry doc I read ( that you also referred to) stated that most issues are taken care of in Vers 6.2, is that the case, becaus e I read the part at the bottom on Additional Plugins as only relating to IF you use an earlier version of FH than 6.2?

So are you suggesting I clear the Media as I described earlier, save the gedcom or Export it. Delete the project, and re import again, as a new project, then see what 'errors ' Fh lists, and whether there are additional plugins to cure them? Because I am thinking it may be that some issues are beyond my Ken as it is?
thanks
Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Just looked at log, I have mass delete dthe MEdia stuff. And log shows 3 types of Record converted, as follows,
do youthink theze need any more processing for FH? There are quite a few, but just these three

Individual Record 5: Converted tag 'ADDR' to tag 'RESI'
Individual Record 5: Converted tag 'ADDR' to tag 'RESI'
Individual Record 5: Converted tag '_ALIA' to (alternative) Name field
Individual Record 6: Converted tag 'ADDR' to tag 'RESI'
Individual Record 11: Converted tag 'ADDR' to tag 'RESI'
Individual Record 11: Converted tag '_ALIA' to (alternative) Name field
Individual Record 11: Converted tag '_MILT' to attribute 'Military Service'
Individual Record 11: Converted tag '_MILT' to attribute 'Military Service'

Thanks
Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Sorry
just did the Full gedcom, rather than part. got qite a list of exceptions. I realise not all will relate to the part of the ged I wish to extract, but some will. Its quite a file, and I am not clear which plugins I may need use to clean it all up.

I will try attach a copy of the FH file produced. MIGHT there be a better sequence to doing this. Maybe just open , rather than import. Clean Media, SAVE or export a copy, then Import as a project, and run whatever Plugins required to help matters? All looks a bit confusing
2020-08-13 21.03 Exception report for GEDCOM import on project creation.zip
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

So Looking closely, many seem to be loaded As 'Non Gedcom' but are there, quite a lot are related to Addresses being moved to Notes filed. following is Person 1. Just so I know How do I interpret 1.30, as being in a particular place, or 1.49, as I tried the obvious ie 1 = individual, 30 = line Number, but that doesnt seem right.

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=P1. Record Number=1.
l.30 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR 17 Ash Grove"
l.31 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE Bet. 1968–1978"
l.32 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC Wells, Somerset"
l.33 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed invalid use of EVEN (event) tag: "1 EVEN Napier Road Infants and Junior School"
l.37 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR 55 Flanders Road"
l.38 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE 1954"
l.39 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC East Ham, London, England"
l.40 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR 16 Overbrook Close"
l.41 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE Bet. 1978–1980"
l.42 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC Gloucester"
l.43 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR 6 Sisson Road"
l.44 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE Bet. 1980–1985"
l.45 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC Gloucester"
l.46 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR 6 Cousley Close"
l.47 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE 1985"
l.48 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC Gloucester"
l.49 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed invalid use of EVEN (event) tag: "1 EVEN East Ham Grammar School for Boys"
l.53 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed invalid use of EVEN (event) tag: "1 EVEN Wells Blue School"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=P4. Record Number=4.
l.141 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 RESI 20 Overbrook Close"
l.144 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 RESI Old Pike House"
l.147 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 RESI 27 Billbrook Road, Hucclecote"
l.150 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 RESI 6 Cousley Close, Hucclecote"
l.156 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 RESI 6 Cousley Close, Hucclecote"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=P5. Record Number=5.
l.172 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 BIRT 133 Wellington Rd"
l.206 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data moved to Note Field): "1 RESI Marital Status: Singleat school; 133 Wellington Street"
l.213 - INFO ONLY: Converted invalid GEDCOM tag to valid GEDCOM extension by adding underscore: "1 _ALIA Doreen Gwladys"

I also need some idea how possibly correct these en mass, OR do I do as I notice one at a time after import...BUT that leaves an awful lot to do.

Thanks for advice Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, there is a lot there to digest, and it is getting late, so let me respond tomorrow.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Thanks Mike
have a good night
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are several sub-sections below to try and deal with your issues.

Window > Log Files

Let me explain the Window > Log Files > Exception report... error message format using some lines as an example:
Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=P1. Record Number=1.
l.30 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR 17 Ash Grove"
l.31 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE Bet. 1968–1978"
l.32 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC Wells, Somerset"
l.33 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed invalid use of EVEN (event) tag: "1 EVEN Napier Road Infants and Junior School"

This applies to the Individual record with Record Id = 1
So the references on each line start with the letter I for Individual followed by the GEDCOM file line number.
Other errors may apply to Family records letter F, Source records letter S, Media records letter O (for Object), etc.

Any messages that mention uncategorised data will produce an Uncategorise Data Field (UDF) discussed later.
The 4th message for invalid use of EVEN tag also needs special attention discussed later.

Some Exception report issues are fixed as listed in Window > Log Files > Process imported Gedcom extensions... and should need no further processing. Examples are:
Individual Record 11: Converted tag 'ADDR' to tag 'RESI' ~ invalid ADDR tag fixed as Residence fact
Individual Record 11: Converted tag '_ALIA' to (alternative) Name field ~ _ALIAS UDF fixed as Alternate Name
Individual Record 11: Converted tag '_MILT' to attribute 'Military Service' ~ _MILT UDF fixed as Military Service fact

GEDCOM Migration

In your case, this process is more difficult than usual because you only need a sub-branch of the Ancestry tree.
Unfortunately, Ancestry does not allow sub-branches to be selected for GEDCOM export (some products allow that).
So FH problems with the full GEDCOM must be made to persist through to the sub-branch GEDCOM as UDF.

The invalid use of EVEN tag problem noted above is fixed by default in a way that is almost impossible to detect later.
To overcome that use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and untick Move invalid data into note fields where possible to allow Death Cause and other event descriptions to use the _UNCAT tag UDF. See how_to:import_from_ancestry#quick_fix_plugins|> Quick Fix Plugins.

Full Ancestry GEDCOM

Use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and untick Move invalid data into note fields where possible.
Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file to import the full Ancestry GEDCOM.
Untick Copy any linked multimedia files into the new project folder (recommended) as there are no media files.
The Window > Log Files may be useful later, but most issues will NOT need fixing.
Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command and Select... the branch of Individuals to export.
Leave other settings at defaults except for setting Media Records: Exclude and click OK.
Save the exported GEDCOM file with a memorable sub-branch name.
(Note that the Media Records are only removed from the exported GEDCOM not the full GEDCOM Project.)

Sub-branch GEDCOM

Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file to import the GEDCOM file exported above.
There should be no Window > Log Files.
Run the UDF List plugin to get a Result Set that lists all the UDF details to be fixed.
Please post some representative samples that I expect will mostly be _UNCAT data in events.
(From the ZIP file Exceptions you posted earlier the originator used some custom events in novel ways.)

Use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and tick Move invalid data into note fields where possible to return to default.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike and Thanks
Read through quickly, but have to do a few jobs, and will read again later. All sounds a bit complex.

Re the Log files, I guessed that the No after the 1 referred to the file line number, but I couldn't get them to look right if I opened all the data field under Individual, and counted down say 30 lines for 1.30, are they not in sequence as the data under INDV'l ?

Re the last two paragraphs, Full Ancestry Gedcom, and Sub branch. I remember once having a discussion with you on splitting geds, and I always found it easier to open a diagram, for example select the root person---view diagram--All relatives, and then select the persons from there, as I could see who it was I wanted. When using the Gedcom export and without the diagram in front of me I always found it hard, especially as if there are hundreds of people in a new Ged then I couldn't know the exact persons to add to the Export...SO AM I missing a facility here that makes that part easier?

From the last paragraph you wrote
'Run the UDF List plugin to get a Result Set that lists all the UDF details to be fixed.
Please post some representative samples that I expect will mostly be _UNCAT data in events.'

I will try and do that if get that far without hiccups, As you say under Full Ancestry...I did try an export once and chose Exclude MEdia records, but they were not removed in what I did.

Will read up and try some more later
Thanks a lot
Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

PS
the following is from the original How To doc on Ancestry, it says do some things before import, is this not so important?

Quick Fix Plugins
The problems identified above, and several others, can be fixed as explained below:
• Before importing the GEDCOM file, use File > Project Window to open say the Family Historian Sample Project and use the ƒh command Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and untick Move invalid data into note fields where possible to allow Death Cause and other event descriptions to be easily detected and adjusted.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Here are quick answers to your comments, but I'll wait until you respond with your experiments before giving details.

Re: Quick Fix Plugins.
That is exactly what I've advised you to do in my GEDCOM Migration section and it is very important.
Since you probably have several Projects it does not matter which one is open when Tools > Preferences are changed.

Re: Log files.
It is a letter I for Individual NOT a digit 1.
I guess you have been looking at the Records Window on the Individuals tab to try and count GEDCOM lines.
They must be in Record Id order, it is difficult to fully expand all the [+] items, and even then there is not a 1:1 correspondence with GEDCOM lines, and after the first few dozen the line counting gets extremely unreliable.
You need to use a plain text editor such as Notepad on the GEDCOM file and use its line number features.
Alternatively, open the Property Box of the Individual with the Record Id and on the All tab fully expand by double-clicking twice on the Name next to [+]. The problem entries should be self-evident.

Re: Selecting sub-branch Individuals.
I assumed you already knew how to Select... your sub-branch Individuals as you said you had exported the sub-branch GEDCOM, but clearly I was wrong. See how_to:create_an_export_gedcom_based_on_a_diagram|> Create an export Gedcom based on a diagram.

Regarding Media Records not excluded from an exported GEDCOM ~ where did you look?
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike
I will experiment tonight.

I will say, that I thought I had said previously that I know how to export a gedcom by highlighting individuals in a diagram, and adding to a list. Then export gedcom using that list. I thought you were suggesting another method, which I havent used, ( split tree?) because it didnt allow me to see the actual individuals I was exporting, In an all relatives diagram they are of course there, and easy to select.
Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi sorry missed end bit of your last message.

When I first played with this GEd, I opened it without Importing as a project, and played with ways to remove the media...
Then I did the same and imported as an FH project. I then attempted to export the complete gedcom, and chose the option in both to exclude media ( thats how I read the option), but the media links or whatever it is from Ancestry still showed in the MEdia Tab of each, and when clicked media on toolbar, see all media.

Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike
followed your instructions...my notes in red, and attached ( hopefully ) the UDF file

Full Ancestry GEDCOM

Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file to import the full Ancestry GEDCOM.
The Window > Log Files may be useful later, but most issues will NOT need fixing.
Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command and Select... the branch of Individuals to export.
Leave other settings at defaults except for setting Media Records: Exclude and click OK.
Save the exported GEDCOM file with a memorable sub-branch name.
(Note that the Media Records are only removed from the exported GEDCOM not the full GEDCOM Project.)

OK I actually wish to export several versions of the ‘line’ for my own purposes. But try an easy one first

On start NEW project box TICKED COPY ANY LINKED MULTIMEDIA FILES ETC INTO NEW FOLDER..LEFT TICKED called new project Play Gives a BOX 662 links to external media etc etc, said NO, ignored log files. THEN went to person whose line I wished to export, selected them , and said View all relatives Diagram. Chose all the persons I wanted…then, added to a list…( DG FAM and main Levey Line).then used list to export that line…Which is actually the family of the person who supplied Gedcom, and all his main line ancestors. From his Mother, back through Lionel Levey and Wifes lines.

THEN when select File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command and Select... the branch of Individuals to export, of course there is no File, IT is this I said is a difficulty in my earlier message, so at this point I go to the ROOT person, select them…Standard diagram types ..ALL relatives diagram….Select in diagram ALL persons in the line/branch I wish to export, AND add to a LIST

DONE, Exported as ‘DG Fam and MAIN Levey line.’ As the sub branch

Exported as above SELECT , named List…selected…ALL…OK….AND for media records chose exclude as told. EXPORTED same name, and saved. IN 2nd ged.

Sub-branch GEDCOM

Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file to import the GEDCOM file exported above.
Use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and tick Move invalid data into note fields where possible to return to default.
(If you need to repeat the whole process then remember to untick that setting.) WHAT does this mean…IF repeat process When I went there it was already ticked.
I suspect the Window > Log Files will only report exceptions for uncategorised data ~ please confirm.
Run the UDF List plugin to get a Result Set that lists all the UDF details to be fixed.
Please post some representative samples that I expect will mostly be _UNCAT data in events.
(From the ZIP file Exceptions you posted earlier the originator used some custom events in novel ways.)

From above
Import Gedcom as instructed in Sub branch DONE
Tools …Prefs….File load..save etc… Windows LOG file…Not found?? Says None?
So ran UDF plugin….quite a lot…but unsure what means? How export this UDF file??? Figured SAVe as …Text File DONE, sent to Mike.
Unidentified Data References.txt
(204.4 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike
Flicking through, I can see that lots of Addresses, are in the notes field. {Places are ok..
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I will try and explain the options again regarding your 18:44 and 19:03 postings.

File > Split Tree Helper operates on the current Project or Gedcom.
I really only suggested this command as a quick and immediate way of bulk deleting all Media records.
Set the Delete all Multimedia Records option and click Delete then they will all be deleted from this Project/Gedcom. Try it.
Similarly, you can Delete all Individual records ... chosen by a Query such as Named List Members.
It is true you cannot see the list here, but would you really expect to check the Individual records one by one?
A drawback of this method is the Window > Log Files would still refer to the original full Gedcom and not this 'deleted' Project/Gedcom.

File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File does nothing to the current Project or Gedcom.
You must import/open the exported GEDCOM file to see its effect, such as deleted Media records.
Select Media Records: Exclude and click OK thenthey will be deleted from the saved GEDCOM.
You understand how to select the Individuals to include in the exported GEDCOM file.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Mike

My writing in Red says what happened, AND the Media disappeared with ticking the box you said, as I exported.

I did not use split tree helper, as I have said a few times. I have never, despite trying several times in the past, managed to successfully split a tree WHEN I cannot see the lines/ people I am trying to split out... I cannot remember who connects to whom. SO I used the diagram method, selected people, etc etc as written in last post in Red as I actually did the process. and split the ged successfully! So either I am misunderstanding your instructions, or you are misunderstanding what I say I did?? OR what we are doing isn't clear enough? Whatever...the media have disappeared in the file saved after export.

Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi again
I just checked through, and as far as I can see, I followed your instructions to the letter, and wrote in red as I did so...so where did i deviate??? Then will do again
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, you did not follow my advice and that is why you have those Address in Note problems.

Use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and untick Move invalid data into note fields where possible before importing the full GEDCOM. Without that you will get those Addresses in Note field problems.

I admit I was wrong about the Window > Log Files for the imported sub-branch.
If there are only UDF then there will be no reports. Sorry.

Sorry, I thought you knew how to export sub-branches selected from a Diagram.
You say: "THEN when select File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command and Select... the branch of Individuals to export, of course there is no File."
What file are you looking for? You should be choosing the Named List called DG FAM and main Levey Line that you created above. To find that list select the Named Lists tab. Is that enough of a tip or do you need step by step instructions?

At least the Media are all being deleted. Why did that not work for you before?

BTW: You are not posting anything in red.
You need to use the colour picker 'droplet' icon between the 'chain link' icon and the 'Normal' size drop-list.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Sorry Mike, noticed that my comments in red were not in red when posted! I am reaching end of best BY, as up since 5am this morning. I thought I made clear I do Know ( at leat I think I do) how to export branches from a diagram... I outlined it twice in my earleir ,meassages?. IE selxcet individual....diagram...all relatrives...select who I want....add to list etc as writeen earlier??? IS that wrong?? or IS ther another way.... Step by step??

Sorry, I thought you knew how to export sub-branches selected from a Diagram.
You say: "THEN when select File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command and Select... the branch of Individuals to export, of course there is no File. Doesnt make sense??

the only file not found was the LOG file
'Windows LOG file…Not found?? Says None?'

Really tired. will review in morning and try again.

Thanks MIke
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, I was only quoting what you said regarding "of course there is no File".
See your posting on Fri 14th Aug 2020 20:43 in the paragraph starting: THEN ...

What suggested to me you had problems was that posting describes choosing people from All Relatives Diagram twice.

Step by Step Instructions
As I said earlier how_to:create_an_export_gedcom_based_on_a_diagram|> Create an export Gedcom based on a diagram gives step by step instructions.
Earlier you described that process but with a Named List called DG FAM and main Levey Line instead of Tree Export.
Once Named List of chosen Individuals has been created use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File.
Click Select... button, then choose the Named Lists tab top left and select DG FAM and main Levey Line or whatever Named List holds the Individuals to be exported.
Click >> to move all the Individuals listed on left to the right hand list and click OK.

Finally set Multimedia Records: to Exclude and click OK.

I have deliberately not explained how to fix the UDF listed by the UDF List plugin.
I thought it complicated enough to get to that stage.
Fixing the UDF will be the next step, and depends on exactly what UDF exist, which I cannot predict.

Will discuss again in the morning.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike
Where I am staying the Internet has been down since last night. Just dropped this by to let you know. I hope its back on when I get back to the computer there.
I think we are getting a little confusion, so I will look over my notes and check again what happened, Maybe Step by step is easier as avoids confusion Thanks Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike
finally got some internet back. I have read through your replies. There is one understanding I think is definate.

Using a Diagram, I DO know how to export a ged using the process of add people to a named list etc etc. What I did was called the named list ' DG FAM and main Levey Line ' THEN when I chose export gedcom I did exactly as you said in your last mail, using that list, AND naming the gedcom exported exactly the same name.

I intend to do the process again now, But unclear of this, its part of instructions you sent

Sub-branch GEDCOM

(If you need to repeat the whole process then remember to untick that setting.)

WHAT does this mean…you say TICK the box for Move invalid data into note fields , fine, Then IF repeat whole process untick (When I went there it was already ticked.), If I need to repeat process as you say, then surely on the repeat I also Tick the box again, not untick??
Will start process now
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, I have said this several times before, but step 1. clearly has not sunk in.

Step by Step Overview
  1. BEFORE you do any importing of the full Ancestry GEDCOM do this in FH with any Project open:
    Use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and untick Move invalid data into note fields where possible.
    If you don't do that you will get those Addresses in Note field problems and others later on.

( You even quoted Quick Fix Plugins to me that says the same and I confirmed that is what to do. )
  2. Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file to import the full Ancestry GEDCOM.
    Untick Copy any linked multimedia files into the new project folder (recommended) as there is no Media.
  3. Select your sub-branch from a Diagram and create Named List.
    Use File File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File to export sub-branch without Media.
  4. Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file to import the just exported sub-branch GEDCOM.
  5. When finished importing from Ancestry restore the default setting that you unticked in step 1.
    Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and tick Move invalid data into note fields where possible.
    If that is already ticked then you forgot to peform step 1. and must start all over again.
  6. Once the above process is well understood, run the UDF List plugin to identify UDF.
    When we know what those UDF are and where they exist, then I can propose how to fix them.