* Loss of "Root" record

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paulrh
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Loss of "Root" record

Post by paulrh »

I have noticed that my record of the "Root" person has disappeared, so I am restoring projects from my "Backups" to try and trace the "Root". This opens up projects within the Project Window and adds progressive numbers to the projects. I wish to delete these renumbered projects when still unable to trace the "Root" but am warned that deleting will remove all files and caution is needed.
Can I assume that deleting a particular project will NOT affect the same files held in another numbered project? When I find the backup with the "Root" person in it, will I be able to find a record of all the work that I have done since that Backup?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Loss of "Root" record

Post by tatewise »

Using the File > Project Window > More Tasks > Delete Project will only delete the chosen project.
The dialogue lists all the files that will get deleted.
It is certainly safe to delete all restored projects with a number prefix. No other projects will be affected.

Now back in your original master project, it is easy to set the File Root Individual.

Locate the Individual record you wish to be the root (probably your own record) and display it in the Focus Window.
Right-click its box and choose Make File Root ~ that is it.
Just make sure you Save the project before exit.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paulrh
Silver

Post by paulrh »

Thank you for your reply. That settles my mind regards deleting. However my Root record is myself, but my record has just disappeared and that is why I am having to restore a backup that includes me. I am very concerned that the amount of work done recently is going to be hard to trace if I have to go back too far.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It's very strange that your own record has disappeared, as any attempt to delete a record, accidentally or otherwise, should produce a warning message asking if you are sure you want to delete this record.

Are you sure the record itself has vanished? It's not just missing from a diagram or saved chart?

Is it just your own record or are some of your immediate family also missing? If you are the only one missing it might be quicker to re-enter your own details, and re-set the links to other family members, than attempt to trace all the work you have done since your record disappeared.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Lorna says it is difficult to accidentally delete a record as there are clear warnings, just like when you delete a project.

When you say your own record is missing, where have you looked?
Have you searched the Records Window for your name?

Do you know what its Record Id was?
Usually one enters ones own record first so it usually has Record Id = 1.
If you sort the Records Window into Record Id order, what is the lowest number?
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

If you have just disappeared from charts and diagrams, have you changed privacy settings recently, for example to send a printout to a third party or upload to website? I had a similar problem recently when a couple of “sensitive” records disappeared from Family Group Sheets.
Mark Draper
paulrh
Silver

Post by paulrh »

Many thanks to you all (Lorna, Tatewise, and Mark 1834)
It would appear that it is only my record that is missing. I have reordered the Record ID and the records start at No. 2. I have no recollection of using diagrams or charts in the recent past or changed any privacy settings, so I will work on Lorna's suggestion and re-enter myself. Hopefully all will be OK. Many thanks for all your interest.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Paul, how long has this situation lasted?
How many other chnages have you made recently?

I ask because one alternative to try is to restore from Snapshots.
Use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot which allows GEDCOM files saved recently to be rstored.
Choose a Snapshot Taken date when you think your record might have existed and Revert to Snapshot.
If none of those resolve the problem then you can revert to your current GEDCOM.

I was somewhat surprised that none of your Backups held your own Record Id 1 which suggests you deleted it a long time ago.
paulrh
Silver

Post by paulrh »

I have only looked at the last 4 backups so far and thought that I had better get some help before I went any farther, so it may not be as bad as it looks at the moment.

As regards "Snapshots" I have not come across this yet but am willing to give it a try. Many thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When you open the Snapshot Manager dialogue click the Help button to obtain an explanation of the feature.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Is it a coincidence that my root record has ID of 1?
This seems to align with Paulrh, who says his records start at 2, so his record 1 is missing (root?)
Does FH assign record ID 1 as the initial root by default?
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is not coincidental and is highly likely that most people's master project will be like that.
After installation, the only project is the Family Historian Sample Project.
You must use File > Project Window > New Project > Start a new project to create your first project.
You will naturally enter the Starting Person as yourself which will be Record Id 1 and automatically made File Root.

What is difficult to understand is how that record has been mysteriously deleted apparently without warning.