* reordering the Pool

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
KiwiPeterHill
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

reordering the Pool

Post by KiwiPeterHill »

or more like Renumber the pool groups. Is it possible to renumber the different pool groups I have, except Pool 1 of course, That way I would have say pool 2 to 10 and make life easy
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: reordering the Pool

Post by Gowermick »

I very much doubt it, as the numbers are Dynamic. If you have a pool with just one individual in it, then delete that individual, the other pools renumber automatically.
If I delete the guy in pool 17, pool 18 will change to 17, 19 will change to 18 etc.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
KiwiPeterHill
Diamond

Post by KiwiPeterHill »

ok, I was hoping to get them in series/sequence numbered, at the moment they seem quite random.
I have pool 1, and then some with 23 or higher numbers.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

There won't be any gaps in the numbers. If you click on the column heading for the Pool number in the Records Window, or in the results set from the Search for Orphans query, this will sort the pools in order. If pool number 23 exists then all pool numbers up to 23 also exist!
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It might help if you explain what you are trying to do with the pools, as there may be a different way to do it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
stuartd
Platinum

Post by stuartd »

LornaCraig wrote: 06 Jul 2020 09:35 There won't be any gaps in the numbers. If you click on the column heading for the Pool number in the Records Window, or in the results set from the Search for Orphans query, this will sort the pools in order. If pool number 23 exists then all pool numbers up to 23 also exist!
Apologies if I may be hijacking someone else's posting, but I am baffled by the references to 'Pool numbers'. There is no column heading labelled "Pool" on my Records window, and all attempts to find it as an option or in configuring columns fail to produce the word anywhere. I've obviously never needed/used it so the question is a bit academic perhaps - but I would be intrigued to know why it doesn't appear in the Records Window, and whether or not that is actually a problem.
Kind regards, Stuart
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Sorry, I must have added it as a custom column to my records window and forgotten that it is not a standard column. If you want to add it, the expression you need is =RelationPool(). However, as I said in my previous reply you can see the Pool numbers if you run the standard Search for Orphans query.

The Pool numbers are useful for finding individuals or groups who are not connected in any way with other groups. But if everyone in your file is connected they will all be in Pool 1.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See FH Help page https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... npool.html for an explanation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
stuartd
Platinum

Post by stuartd »

Yes, Mike, I had looked at the help page, but that only explains what the Pool Number is, which wasn't the issue.
Thank you Lorna; that explains why it doesn't appear on my Records Window; so "problem" resolved.
Kind regards, Stuart
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Stuart, I misunderstood exactly what was baffling you, so included the Help explaining how they are determined.
I had originally also said much the same as Lorna, but she beat me to it, so I deleted that bit.
Coolgarra
Platinum

Post by Coolgarra »

Thanks Peter for asking this question. I also had no idea about 'Pools' and have now learnt about an extra tool to assist me in maintaining my data.
Cheers
Chris
KiwiPeterHill
Diamond

Post by KiwiPeterHill »

yes I see it now. I have about 33 pools, Not sure if this seems extra high or about what one would expect.
Its like a massive competition, To see how many pool you can reduce your tree to, I guess the ultimate is 1, but to have everyone in the same pool would be near impossible.

Just as an aside, in NZ we have social distancing, and the swimming pools are now only putting water in every second lane/row. Also they are not heating them to shorten swim time.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I currently have 153 Pools in my main project file, so you still have have plenty of headroom. Not that I want to start a competition :lol:

Glad to hear the news about your swimming pools as there is great controversy about swimming pool closure in the UK. Just wondering if those water-free lanes are available for non-swimmers 8-)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The number of Pools (Relationship not Swimming) will be governed by the type of Project and your strategies.

One-Name Study and One-Place Study projects will typically have many unrelated Pools.

In a single-family Project, with a strategy of only adding proven relatives, then there should be only one Pool.
But if you add family groups who are potentially related to your family but not proven then there will be more Pools.
KiwiPeterHill
Diamond

Post by KiwiPeterHill »

Thank you for that, Is it possible to swap the pools around??
Such as if I really would like my Pool 35 in as Pool 2, is that possible

So swap pools rather then renumber or delete them.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

As stated earlier Pool numbers are completely arbitrary and can not be controlled.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

I hope this has not been mentioned already:

<> Test 1
- I did a modified "Search For Orphans" query, add column for record Id "=RecordId()"
sort result by pool
- I noticed that the 1st person in next pool had the next lowest recId. so on a copied project I deleted the first person in pool 2.
- redo the query and a new person takes on pool 2 (was pool 3), as expected as there was only 1 ind in the original pool2.
- I then modified the first person from a later pool to have the same recid as the deleted person (i.e lower than the new pool 2).
see [topic]13594|Change Record ID[/topic], I copied a new CustomId
- BUT THAT DID NOT CHANGE THE POOL #, so forget that, at least we know that does not work.

<> Test 2.
- do above amended query, find any person in a pool you want to make pool2 (not already in pool2)
- Edit the GEDCOM file (carefully) - move all the details for the first pool individual before the existing first pool2 individual. Or simply after the first individual.
e.g. move:
0 @I325@ INDI
1 NAME Ann /Hale/
1 BIRT
2 DATE EST 1851
.....................etc etc....
1 CHAN
2 DATE 9 JUL 2020
3 TIME 14:13:26
- SEEMS TO WORK, so looks like pool number is determined by the position in the GEDCOM file, which makes sense.
- You can repeat this for as many pools as you wish. Bit messy, but simplest would be to select 1 individual from each pool and put them in order at the beginning.

Apart from the danger of directly editing the GEDCOM file, can anyone see any problems with that?

Way beyond me, but I suspect that could be done with a Plugin,
LHS = old pool, RHS = new pool.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Renumbering a Gedcom is better done using the Record Identifier tool, but it still does not guarantee the pool numbers will stay in that order and when you save your Gedcom if you are not changing the record IDs they will go back into number order.
Jane
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Jane, from my experiment with Record Identifier tool, I don't think it alters the position of the INDI in the GEDCOM file, just the RecordId.

However, my test2 suggestion does not alter the RecordId, but the position of the INDI within the GEDCOM file.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As advised in glossary:work_with_record_identifiers|> Work With Record Identifiers if you renumber Individual Record Id then it is highly likely that any saved Family Historian Charts will be rendered useless because they are linked to records by Record Id.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mike, thanks for that reminder, perhaps I should not have included my FAILED test1 as it seems to have confused the issue. I was hoping it would emphasise another limitation, in this scenario, of the Record Identifier tool.

For me it was the test2 that worked for Pool Numbers, i.e. Altering the INDI position withing the GEDCOM file.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Altering the INDI position withing the GEDCOM file is potentially dangerous unless it was automated with say a Plugin.
Contrary to what Jane said, the INDI records do NOT go back into number order when saved, even if the data is edited.