* Importing from a GEDCOM file and Notes

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Acoustic Mick
Family Historian: V6

Importing from a GEDCOM file and Notes

Post by Acoustic Mick »

After importing from FTM I have just realised that my notes although correctly attached to the records have a different Id can I easily change this?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing from a GEDCOM file and Notes

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Mick.

Usually, FH is quite good at preserving the Id supplied in the GEDCOM file.

I imagine you are talking about the Records Window on the Notes tab where the Record Id are listed.

NotesRecordId.png
NotesRecordId.png (31.37 KiB) Viewed 3603 times

In what way are they different?
Note that Record Id in FH must be numerical.

It is possible to change the Record Id numbers, but you must supply them as Custom Id first.
See glossary:work_with_record_identifiers|> Work With Record Identifiers for the process.

BTW: See how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) that has useful advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Acoustic Mick

Post by Acoustic Mick »

Thanks Mike

In answer to your question when I look at the notes Tab I can recognise a particular note that applies to a specific individual, the Record Id however applies to a different individual in the database If I open the record for the individual the correct note is attached - do I have a problem?

Thanks again

Mike
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Ah! You misunderstand how Record Id apply within FH. You do NOT have a problem.
There are many different types of record ~ Individual, Family, Note, Source, Media & Place are the popular ones.
Each type of record has its own series of Record Id that uniquely identifies each record.
They cannot all have the Record Id of the Individual they are linked to, because usually they link to more than one Individual.

For example, a Family record will usually link to a Husband, Wife, and some Children where each Individual has a different Record Id. So the Family record Record Id must be different.

Likewise, a Note record can be linked to and shared by several Individual or other records.
Also, a Note record can be linked to different Facts or Citations within one Individual or Family record.
So there is no way that the Note record Record Id can match all the other Record Id.

Some products such FTM have each Note record linked to just one Individual.
In such cases, there is a Plugin that can move the Note text into the Individual record and avoid any confusion.

See glossary:record_types_and_record_id|> Record Types and Record Id for more details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Acoustic Mick

Post by Acoustic Mick »

Wonderful thanks for pointing it out

Mike