* Ancestral Sources Version 5.3.0

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources Version 5.3.0

Post by David Potter »

Hi Nick the page where you download the latest version still refers to 5.2.0, but when clicking the link 5.3.0 is available.

David
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources Version 5.3.0

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

This page fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources|> Utility ~ Ancestral Sources v5.3.0 or another one? Can you provide a link?
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

FHUG > Home Page > Ancestral Sources 5.2
Click the link > scroll to top
Click the download from this website link, there lies 5.3.0 for download
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (136.95 KiB) Viewed 9381 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (76.66 KiB) Viewed 9381 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I don't think Nick ever announced 5.3.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Probably not - he built that version with requests from me. I noticed someone using 5.3.0 today when discussing ORA in another group and I asked him where he downloaded from. Then I found the confusion shown here.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Also discussed here: AS download (17833)
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thanks Peter - I have updated that ticket to hopefully remind Nick how 5.3.0 came about.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

I see that the link for AS has changed to 5.3.0 on FHUG but it throws up this message on Microsoft Defender Smartscreen.
Attachments
2020-07-02.png
2020-07-02.png (18.15 KiB) Viewed 9283 times
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can ignore that message as AS is perfectly safe. It is a false positive.
It is true that it is not commonly downloaded, just like most genealogy software.
It is true that it is not signed because that costs significant money and Nick Walker is quite reasonably not prepared to spend that on a free software download.

Even FH can elicit similar warnings as per how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#windows_security_warnings|> Windows Security Warnings.
Last edited by ColeValleyGirl on 02 Jul 2020 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed word confusion -- illicit for elicit
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Looking back in my emails I had finished 5.3 back in November 2016 but had meant to add another feature or two to it before releasing it. But I did upload it for David to access. Then I had a very long period where I wasn't thinking about Ancestral Sources. In fact I've only very recently started to work on AS again. When the Knowledge Base was being updated recently the team spotted version 5.3 was there and assumed that was the version that should be linked. I'd forgotten all about 5.3 and the fact I never released it. Anyway I assume David's not had any problems with it over the years so its probably safe to use but I'd rather push on with the programming of the next version now rather than spend time publicising 5.3. To be honest it's always the updating the help file, publishing and publicising that I don't enjoy.

Sorry for any confusion caused!

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Nick
I have not encountered any problems with it over the years since late 2016, and have used it extensively for all Source Types available within it. So as you say should be okay for general use.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I believe the changes in 5.3 are:
  • The automatic check for new updates introduced in 5.1.3 wasn't working correctly but should from now on.
  • David Potter spotted a bug that no one else has reported despite it being in Ancestral Sources for over five years! If the option was selected to record age in residence facts in, for example, baptism records, then the age of the main individual was recorded in their parents residence fact too. This is now fixed!
  • Under certain circumstances when creating an additional birth or death fact (rather than updating an existing one), it was possible that the date, place, age and cause were not saved correctly. This was another bug present for several years that David Potter spotted for the first time.
  • In all source types other than census, it is possible to record relatives (e.g. parents), as deceased. If a residence or occupation is also recorded for these deceased relatives, by default the date is left blank. However, there has always been an option to record the event date instead. This date will now be recorded as a before date. This followed a question from David Potter again.
  • Gerry Newnham reported that an error message appeared on the Image Viewer form when running in Windows 10 tablet mode and this is now fixed.
  • Colin Spencer reported an issue where new individuals were always added immediately to an entry. This is only meant to happen with census entries where the 'add to entry' checkbox is ticked on the Add Individual dialog and is now fixed.
  • Bill Henshaw spotted that the Method 1 Title Template option was wrongly labelled on the Options screen.This has now been corrected.
  • One of the baptism tool-tips on the Options screen was wrongly labelled. David Potter reported this and it is now fixed.
  • A member of the FHUG forum (gwilym'smum, Ann) reported that the 'Retain Data' dialogue wrongly referred to the 'Registrar' field as 'Minister'. This should display correctly now.
  • Another member of the FHUG forum (Wahull1052) complained that the maximum font size of 10 was too restrictive. I've now removed the restriction.
Nick Walker

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The first four of those bullet points are listed in the AS Help page Introduction - read this first under Version History but the others are not.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

tatewise wrote: 02 Jul 2020 15:24 You can ignore that message as AS is perfectly safe. It is a false positive.
It is true that it is not commonly downloaded, just like most genealogy software.
It is true that it is not signed because that costs significant money and Nick Walker is quite reasonably not prepared to spend that on a free software download.
I know Mike, I was just putting the post up in case anyone else came across the message. As I have said before AS is not for me, I just happened to check the link when I was reading the this topic.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

tatewise wrote: 02 Jul 2020 21:05 The first four of those bullet points are listed in the AS Help page Introduction - read this first under Version History but the others are not.
Ah thanks Mike - in that case it may be that the other points I listed above were added afterwards and are not in this version. They're mainly very minor fixes anyway and will be in the next version I'm working on whenever that appears.
Nick Walker

Esthameian
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Esthameian »

David Potter wrote: 01 Jul 2020 17:19 Hi Nick the page where you download the latest version still refers to 5.2.0, but when clicking the link 5.3.0 is available.

David
Thank you for that guidance. Is that all I need to do to upgrade from my 5.2.0 version, or should I do any deleting and re-installing afresh? ( I installed the 5.2.0 a long time ago, but haven't used it at all, so haven't used it to add data, set any settings or otherwise changed the original download). I just checked the Help>Check for updates... and got "You already have the latest version..." before looking at FHUG and seeing this thread.

Many thanks,
David
(Alas an Old Esthameian)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems that V5.3 was never fully released, which explains why V5.2 says it is the latest.
Just install V5.3 over the existing installation.
Esthameian
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Esthameian »

tatewise wrote: 11 Jul 2020 13:25 It seems that V5.3 was never fully released, which explains why V5.2 says it is the latest.
Just install V5.3 over the existing installation.
Thank you Mike and David Potter both, for making it crystal clear and simple to carry out the update - all now carried out swiftly so I'm ready to go to add all that new evidence I've gained recently!

Thanks again,
Dave