* Chinese characters

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
SKATZEN
Family Historian: V6

Chinese characters

Post by SKATZEN »

Family Historian 6.
Some of my place names are in China. I can put the Chinese name in brackets in the Place box in the Properties window; for example Harbin (哈尔滨市 ) and they display OK. However, these non-Latin characters are stripped out of any report generated. Any suggestions on how I can include them in reports?

Thank you
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Chinese characters

Post by tatewise »

That is indeed unusual.
Other foreign language characters that I have used display correctly in Reports and elsewhere.
Even those Chinese characters appear correctly in the Focus Window and in Diagrams.

So I suggest you report the problem to Calico Pie as per how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

This reminded me of my struggles with a Hebrew name.

Could it be that the brackets are causing the problem?

I removed my only Hebrew name feeling defeated but I just put it back. It printed out as an additional name in the individual report.
So I pasted the Hebrew characters into the field for her place of birth, clicked for a report and they came out as a place too.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is similar to my experiment, which works OK.
Only Chinese characters are not rendered, regardless of brackets ~ try them yourself by copy & paste from this posting.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry