* Google Drive for FH Backups and Projects

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Google Drive for FH Backups and Projects

Post by tatewise »

Is there now corresponding folders & files on both your portable drive Google Drive folder and online in My Drive folder?
There must be more than just those two Register of Baptisms... files to use up 7.9 GB of storage.
Is there anything in the Trash folder?
Does the white cloud icon say it has finished syncing or is it still perhaps syncing your LARGE backup ZIP file?

It may be syncing all your portable drive files because you chose the whole drive as the Google Drive?
See Google Drive Preferences below...

To review what is being synchronised and which folders open the Google Drive ~ Settings ~ Preferences.
Click the Google white cloud icon, click the right-hand three vertical dots Settings icon and choose Preferences.
BTW: You can choose Pause and Resume to stop and start syncing.
GoogleDriveLinks.png
GoogleDriveLinks.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 9783 times

That will show the My Computer preferences. Have you ticked any of the Desktop, Documents, Pictures options?
GoogleDriveMyComputer.png
GoogleDriveMyComputer.png (26.87 KiB) Viewed 9783 times

Click Google Drive on the left to show its preferences. What Folder location: is listed there?
GoogleDriveSettings.png
GoogleDriveSettings.png (21.54 KiB) Viewed 9783 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

It was syncing my portable drive project folder which had 2 projects in it-I've stopped it and cleared all the boxes.
All I need now is a way to move my main project back up to the GD so that it will continue to update each time I do more research which is usually daily?
Thank you for your patient help, Mike. :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When trying to sort out these tricky scenarios please get used to being very precise and answering every question.
You know what you have cleared, etc, but I don't unless you describe it very precisely or give me a screenshot.

What about the 7.9 GB of storage? What is using that? Are the folders & files the same on your PC and online?

I guess you've cleared the ticks from the Desktop, Documents, Pictures options in My Computer?
Presumably, they were all ticked before? Please confirm.

What Folder location: is listed in the Google Drive preferences (see screenshot earlier)?
I cannot give you detailed instructions of what to move where without knowing that folder location.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes, I've cleared the ticked boxes in Preferences and made a GD folder in my E drive programs (86) but haven't synced it yet, so nothing in it.
I believe but can't see that the 7.9GB is 1 and a part of the 2 projects it's trying to sync-it still shows nothing except Shared and there is nothing in the other folders including Trash.
I have an FH backup folder on my portable drive that has 2 projects in it, today's and yesterdays and now there is a cloud next to the folder.
When I use the GD cloud icon in the taskbar and open the GD folder it goes to the new one on E which is empty.
Maybe I should set up another new folder for the projects and delete the other one on the portable.
See attached
Doc3.odt
(140.41 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are several parts of your description that are not clear to me.
What have you been doing? Have you forgotten to tell me everything you have done?
Is the Google white cloud icon syncing Paused ?

Earlier you said the Google white cloud icon opened your portable drive.
Is that drive E: ? What folder did it open ?

Was the Google Drive preferences Folder location: always E:\Program Files (x86)\Google Drive ?
Program Files (x86) is a special folder in which programs are installed and is not appropriate for Google Drive.
Did you select the Sync these folders only option as shown in your screenshot? I did not advise that.

You talk about making new Google Drive folders. Why did you do that? I did not advise that.

I now have no idea what the Google Drive application is using as its sync folder or what you have added or removed.

I really wish you had not created any new folders without getting my approval beforehand. I am quite upset :(
I don't know what to suggest as your next move because I now don't understand your setup.
We can now only make progress if you give me a thorough detailed explanation of everything to do with Google Drive.
I need screenshots of all the Preferences settings, and all the Google related folders on your PC.
Without that, I am going to struggle to give you any further instructions that I would be comfortable with.
We were making progress but now I am not so sure!
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I think the best bet is for me to completely delete GD and give up the idea of putting my project into the clouds, it's too complex for me!
My pc was purpose-built and has an SSD drive C which is 110GB and a normal hard drive E which is 931GB. My portable is K and attached to the pc by usb and has 465GB. Unfortunately for me, the builders didn't tell me that they'd put main programs on the C drive and of course unbeknown to me every program I downloaded ended up on the C drive but I soon changed the default to E as I don't want the C drive to be completely filled.
Maybe despite all your patience and hard work, I should keep my project on K and delete the one on E. :mrgreen:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, now you have explained your unconventional system configuration, some things fall into place.
Next time any system-related advice is being offered, please explain your configuration upfront.

I believe you have made it complex by changing Google Drive settings, adding & removing backups and folders, etc, without telling me.
e.g.
Originally Google was syncing with your K: drive, as you said clicking on the white cloud icon opened your portable drive.
Your last screenshot shows Google syncing with your E: drive, so you have changed a setting without my knowledge.
It is difficult enough trying to describe what you should do without chasing moving goalposts.

In the end, it is your call, but I would NOT recommend putting your master FH Project folder on your portable K: drive.
Keep your master FH Project folder on E: and just use K: for backups.
BTW:
Never create any folders of your own in E:\Program Files (x86)\ that is dedicated to installed programs.
There must be another root folder you use for Documents and probably where the OneDrive folder exists.

I am happy to continue advising you how to get Google Drive working, but you must promise to only change what I ask you to change, and nothing else, and also answer my questions as fully as possible.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

The folder I created on my E drive for GD is completely empty, the folder that was originally on K drive is also now empty as I've made a new named one to hold my recent FH backups.
The online GD still shows 7.9GB in storage but still refuses to say what it is?
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

For anyone interested I have My Office 345. Now renamed Microsoft 345. This includes Word, Excel, Power Point etc and 1.5TB One Drive storage. For all this I pay £59.99 a year.

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Now let us return to Google Drive and get it synchronised with your PC. Just follow the 5 steps below.
If you have any problem with any step then stop and ask for advice. Do not struggle on regardless.

1) Halt Google Drive App
If the Google Drive white cloud icon is showing in your Notification area then halt it as follows:-
Left-click the white cloud, click the three vertical dots Settings icon, and choose Quit Backup and Sync.

2) Delete Empty Google Drive Folders
I strongly recommend you delete the empty Google Drive folders on your E: and K: drives:-
  • E:\Program Files (x86)\Google Drive delete this empty Google Drive folder.
  • K:\...\Google Drive wherever it is on the portable drive, delete that empty Google Drive folder.
Those locations are very poor places for the Google Drive folder.

3) Create Default Google Drive Folder
Now create a Google Drive folder in My Documents alongside your OneDrive folder:-
e.g.
If your OneDrive folder is at E:\My Documents\OneDrive
Create your Google folder at E:\My Documents\Google Drive
This is where the Google Drive app should have created it by default. ( I did not expect it to choose drive K: )

4) Restart Google Drive App and Choose New Folder
Now restart Google Drive app by clicking Start and then Backup and Sync from Google.
That will popup a small message saying A synced folder is missing because you deleted them at step 2) above.
Click the blue LOCATE button and choose the E:\My Documents\Google Drive folder you just created in step 3).
Click OK and check the white cloud icon is showing in your Notification area.

5) Set Preferences and Leave to Synchronise
Left-click the white cloud, click the three vertical dots Settings icon, and choose Preferences.
In My Computer ensure the Desktop, Documents & Pictures options are NOT ticked.
Select Google Drive on the left and ensure Sync everything in My Drive is chosen.
Select Settings on the left and ensure the three options are ticked.
Finally click OK and leave Google Drive to synchronise all day.

That should allow us to discover what is using the 7.9 GB Storage tomorrow.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I've completed items 1 and 2, and on the latter K I'd already made a new folder for my backups and deleted the other so no cloud is showing on the K drive.
Now 3 is another problem as Onedrive isn't in My Documents but in C:\Users so I'll wait before I put GD in My Documents until you say it is Ok?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I thought you wanted to keep data off the C: SSD and just use it for the Windows OS ?
So should the OneDrive folder of data files really be at E:\My Documents\OneDrive ?

If so, then create your Google folder at E:\My Documents\Google Drive.
We can move the OneDrive folder alongside later.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

As you say I didn't want any new programs to go on to my C drive but most programs that one downloads give a choice or allow one to browse to find the correct drive but some do not and apparently One Drive has defaulted to C?
Will it be OK to change it to E next to the GD folder in programs(86) and how to go about it?
I have continued from step 3 and have set GD cloud icon as you said and now it has an upward arrow in the cloud icon and says 'Back up and sync from Google updated 7 minutes ago'
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, it seems Google Drive is now synchronising with your PC.
Leave it for a few hours to ensure that all synchronisation of the 7.9 GB of Storage is completed.

Please click the Google white cloud, click the three vertical dots Settings icon, and choose Preferences.
In My Computer confirm that the Desktop, Documents & Pictures options are NOT ticked.
Select Google Drive on the left and confirm Sync everything in My Drive is chosen.
Tell me what is the Folder location: shown there?
Finally click OK.

Once we've finished configuring Google Drive we can review your use of C: and E: drives.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

The preferences are set as you said, the drive is shown as E:\Program Files (x86)\Google Drive
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, why is the location E:\Program Files (x86)\Google Drive :o

That is a bad location, so I told you to delete that Google Drive folder and you said you had. :?

I asked you to create it in E:\My Documents\Google Drive

We will have to start all over again now or give up completely :roll:
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

So sorry, Mike I made a mistake and misread where to put GD-I've deleted the folder from E programs and set up a new one on E Documents and now the GD cloud has an arrow pointing up.

I was never clear about the Documents folder and it's importance on the pc, I'd always thought that programs were the default.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So if you click through the Google white icon Settings ~ Preferences ~ Google Drive please confirm the Folder location: now says E:\My Documents\Google Drive ?

When you click the Google white icon does it still say 7.9 GB of 15 GB used ?

John, the Program Files folders are where Program application executable files are installed.
Those will be largely the same for everybody who installs the same products from the same vendors.
Once installed those files will largely remain unchanged unless you install a later version of the product.
e.g. That is where you install the Family Historian program V6.2.7 supplied by Calico Pie.

The My Documents folders are where you save your document data files, which will be personal to you.
Nobody else will have those data files, and they will change whenever you edit them using a word-processor, spreadsheet, photo-editor, Family Historian, etc...
e.g. That is where the Family Historian Projects folder and all your Project data files exist.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

It now says E:\Documents\Google Drive, I haven't got a My Documents.
The drive at Google online now says 7.8GB in storage so .1GB has gone but still can't see what is stored?
Now the GD folder is just below the family history projects folder in Documents.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, E:\Documents\Family Historian Projects adjacent to E:\Documents\Google Drive is just perfect :D

Leave the Google Drive app to synchronise E:\Documents\Google Drive with My Drive online for a few hours.
Hopefully, then it will become clear what is consuming the 7.8 GB of storage.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Just a thought. Is it possible that the Trash folder on Google Drive contains the extra 7+Gb? If you go to the Google Drive online and select Trash, then use the dropdown beside the Trash title to empty the trash. It will not show immediately what space has been released and for that you need to refresh the web page (press f5).

David

[ EDIT by Mike Tate:
I could not find any dropdown beside Trash and only if files are listed can they be permanently binned. ]
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Nothing in Trash and still says 7.8 GB in storage but still don't know what it is? :?:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I have been investigating Google Storage usage via Google search and got some answers.

So visit https://one.google.com/storage and it will list a breakdown of usage for Google Drive, Gmail & Google Photos.

If it is Google Photos that is using Storage, you can reduce it to zero by visiting https://photos.google.com/settings and choosing High quality (free unlimited storage).
Also in https://photos.google.com/ you can delete any you don't want any more.
Alternatively, you can create a separate Google Photos account using a different Email address with another 15 GB and move your photos there.

If it is Gmail using Storage then check the Spam and your Gmail Trash are empty, and it is also possible to delete mail with large attachments.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Well done Mike for finding that nugget. :P
It appears that it's not photos but Gmail that is taking up the storage-what a sauce they've got. So now I'm deleting all my 'sent' of which there are nearly 5000 from the year dot and a few draft emails.
Maybe it takes time to digest the deletions?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just deleting them simply moves them to the Gmail Trash bin.
Excatly the same as deleting Windows files just moves them to the Recycle Bin.
You must empty the Gmail Trash bin to get the Storage back.