* Narrative Reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mike Davies
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Narrative Reports

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi all. Is it my imagination but have I in the past created a narrative report and then been able to click on the small digit after a statement and link straightaway to the source record for that statement included at the end of the report. I can’t seem to replicate this now. Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike Davies
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Narrative Reports

Post by tatewise »

It depends on what format of Narrative Report (or any other type of Report) you are thinking about.
You cannot do that in the FH Report Window but can in any saved report format except a Text File.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Good Morning Mike thanks for your swift reply. I'm using narrative reports Ancestors by generation and Descendants by generation with the source document images attached at the end of the report. I have saved these as PDF files but still can't click on them to go to the relevant source media. When I hover over the digit I get an I bar (with cross pieces top and bottom) Left click does nothing, on double left click I get symbols to Highlight, Add a note, Copy, Share and Ask Cortana and on right clicking get the choices Print, Save As, Share or Read Aloud.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, my memory failed me. (I was thinking of how_to:report_content_multimedia_format_layout#content_index_hyperlinks|> Content & Index Hyperlinks.)

It is only saved Web Page (HTML) reports, as also produced by the Create a Website wizard, that have active hyperlinks from superscripts to Sources.
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Ok thanks Mike I’ve not tried this before. Can I incorporate it into the cd/dvd creation and send it to my friend for him to open as part of the tree cd I’m creating for him. I’m on my iPhone sending this as someone is working on my laptop remotely at the moment so I can’t try it out
Thanks Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the Make a Family Tree CD/DVD wizard works just the same (and you can put it on a USB pen drive).

See how_to:make_family_tree|> Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website for loads of advice, and a Plugin.
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Many thanks Mike for all your help much appreciated
Mike Davies
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi Mike sorry to be a pain but I still can’t get this report to work the way I want it to. I’ve saved it as a web page (HTML) and the finger pointer takes me to a list of sources that is at the end of the source images. The source images are not numbered so you can’t scroll through to find say number 43. I want to be able to click on the small number at the end of a statement and go to the image that supports that statement. I’m sure I’ve been able to do this in the past when I’ve been experimenting with reports but have not saved any so cant refer back to them.
Thanks Mike Davies
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It sounds like your Source Media images may not be in your Source Citations at all.
When you display your Report in FH are those Source Media images listed within the numbered list of Source Citations below the Sources heading?
From your description, it sounds like they appear without numbers above that Sources heading.

If that is the case, we need to take a step back and review where you've linked those Source Media into your Project.
Perhaps you have linked them directly to each Fact on the Facts tab, and not the linked Source records?
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi Mike the report contains the narrative for each generation and then has a Sources heading with a note below i.e. Census 1842 etc but no number. After the last source image there is a numerical list of all the source images. Each numbered item starts withe the same description shown below the image but adds extra info such as vol, page, cit date and assessment. The numerical order is the same as the order of images.
I use Ancestral sources to record all the information where there are templates for them. Things like probate I create the source manually adding an image to the source in the media tab of the source and then use Automatic source citations to add the info to the appropriate part of the property box closing Auto source citation afterwards.
I don’t think I’ve attached any images to a fact. I’ve looked at a few and each shows the source in the source pane and the image linked to the source.
Thanks again
Mike Davies
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

In the Report Options, Sources tab, what have you set for the Location of the Source pictures? It sounds as if you have it set to 'Above All Citations'. Change it to 'Below Each Citation'.
Report Options.JPG
Report Options.JPG (75.66 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
Lorna
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi Lorna that’s worked. The report operates as I want it now.
Many thanks to you, Mike, Jane and all the others who help us old duffers use this fantastic programme to the best effect.
On with the cd creation now hopefully in time for my friends 80th birthday at the end of the month.
Regards and many thanks to you all
Mike