* Uploading GEDCOM files

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Uploading GEDCOM files

Post by tatewise »

I do wish you guys could be more precise, especially when tracking down errors.

What do you mean by "just throw up the import ged box" ? Please post a screenshot.

I don't recall any FH dialogue called import ged :?

Anyway, the GEDCOM file in UTF-8 format that you just posted opens with FH perfectly OK for me.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Sorry, instead of opening the Gedcom, it opens a box that is the project Window, the one I said I never really use.
It doesnt just try to load the ged as I usually do.

I tried also to import via this box as a project, that also fails.
Screenshot 2020-05-17 22.59.20.png
Screenshot 2020-05-17 22.59.20.png (107.84 KiB) Viewed 7606 times
TimTreeby
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by TimTreeby »

GEDCOM File also opens fine for me as well, OK gave some errors due to ALIAS's but apart from that opens fine and as a GEDCOM not a Project.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.49 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, thank you for the screenshot which makes things much clearer.
That is NOT an import ged box as you first said, but (as you now describe) is the standard Project Window.
Does FH perhaps say anything before opening that Project Window that you forgot to mention?
Does it popup an error message such as:
Unable to open file
C:\.....\Descendants of James Day - c1829.fh_data\Descendants of James Day - c1829.ged
File path is not valid.

Do you have two files named Descendants of James Day - c1829?
One is a Gedcom File with the usual three linked green boxes icon.
One is a Family Historian Project File with linked red, blue, yellow boxes against a folder icon.
Which one are you clicking to open FH?
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Hi Mike
I just tried again, both Gedcoms that are an issue, (last weeks Older versions are fine,) but the one I sent, and a larger one that cannot send via attachment here still open straight to project page, the icons are standard gedcom ( 3 green squares)exactly as received , and all am doing is trying to click to open them. I am also now on my home computer, not the one at the yard, and have tried on my laptop. It's a mystery.
But what I have noticed is that if I open either one straight from the email attachment it works, but as soon as I copy to my computer and try it just brings up the project window.
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So you have pairs of versions of the same GEDCOM files?
The old ones from last week open fine and the new ones this week do not.
And yet those new ones open fine for Mervyn and me.

Do they have the same filenames, in which case they must be in different folders, or have gained a (2) suffix?
OR do they have different filenames?
What folder are you saving them in? Try a different folder such as the Desktop.
The fact they open from the Email, suggests it can only be something to do with the folder they are save in.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Descendants of James Day - c1829.ged
(134.78 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Hi Mike
last weeks are filed in their own folder, I always either add something to a name and file it myself, or I keep in named folders so I know where I am at. In the week he did some major changes, and sent an update, these are just used by me as reference files , for his differing lines.

The two newer ones, one is brand new, the other an update of last weeks. None have any suffix which I added, Nor an ending ( 002) etc where there are multiple copies. Just in folders, or dated differently to distinguish.

I usually just copy from the email attachment, and save to desktop, or straight to where filing the Ged. AND it opens with no issues. This is exactly what I did this time. I have been playing around, and noticed I had one 2 weeks ago that behaves the same way and pops up the project Box instead of opening.

So I have just tried several things, including my usual of just save a copy

I open the Ged attachment directly form the email, and it opens the GED validation box in FH. Fine

I then tried save the Ged to desktop...when attempt to open that brings up Project Box again, fails to open ged even if I try make a project of it.

I then created a folder on the desktop and saved a ged into it, that also when attempt open brings up project box, not ged validation box.

IF I open straight from the email after normal Validating box, there isnt a Save As option, but if I close a box comes up says cannot save etcetc do I wish to save under another name...That works, and the newly saved ged is ok, BUT assume then its changed to UTF16.
IF I say No, it then confirms and throws up the Import Project Box again.

With simpleged etc i need keep a copy as UTF 8.
Plus
What I need to do with these emails is clean out ready for an upload to Ancestry again, which is back to the old issue of getting the cleaned GED out of FH if I open and work on it there as UTF8 via Export I presume?

I also noticed that before I open one of the geds its about 8657Kb After open and just save or close in Fh it's 13,638Kb, is that how it should happen?

I am at a loss how you can open it, because I just forwarded you the GED from the email, after dropped on desktop, where it will only bring up project box for me, which I have done again to see what happens. ( attached)

is it possible it changes once I copy it from the email to the desktop, or is FH picking up something strange??
thanks Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, as I've said several times now, use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and tick Save in UTF-8 file format.

Then FH V6 will NOT save in UTF-16 but use UTF-8 instead, which for many characters will be the same as ANSI.

For most English characters 0-9, a-z, A-Z and simple punctuation symbols, UTF-8 needs one 8-bit-byte each.
BUT for the UTF-16 encoding, as I have explained before, each such character needs one 16-bit-word.
So when converted from UTF-8 to UTF-16 the GEDCOM file will typically double in size.

The GEDCOM that you attached opens perfectly in FH, so cannot explain why it fails for you.
What is even more mysterious is it fails for you in several different folders even when new & empty.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Mike I think you misunderstood me, I was just making clear I knew how to save UTF8 etc, sorry, its the way I wrote it.

re the geds It's a mystery, as all the previous are ok, I got round it, but its a pain. Lets see what happens on future ones sent me
thanks
Bill
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Just a thought about the opening from the desktop. I haven't got FH on the computer I am on at the moment, so can't test it.
If you double click on the icon, it should open the project window as is happening. If you open FH first and use Gedcom tasks... open gedcom, it should work.
It is not something I have done very often, so not sure if I have the process the right way around.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@John ~ I have downloaded the recently attached GEDCOM files to my Desktop folder and other folders.
When their triple green box icon is clicked, FH opens the standalone GEDCOM in the Focus Window.
I have also opened the attached GEDCOM files directly from the Forum thread with the same result.
TimTreeby has done the same. The Project Window is never involved. Your recollection is mistaken.

@Bill ~ Please confirm you have used Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and ticked Save in UTF-8 file format.
The reason I keep mentioning that setting is you keep talking about using Export to produce UTF-8 format.
If you tick that Save in UTF-8 file format setting you will NEVER have to EXPORT to get UTF-8 format.

To fix the problem with opening those recent GEDCOM files, my one final suggestion is to reinstall FH V6.2.7.
Download the Latest Free Upgrade to Version 6.2.7 from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/down ... ee-upgrade.
Then double-click the downloaded upgrade_fh6_to_6.2.7_dl.exe file to install it over your existing FH.
There is no need to uninstall anything beforehand, and the install will not change any of your settings or Projects.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Ok and thanks, will see how it goes
Bill
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

sorry
last question for now.
is it usual that the FTM file when opened and saved from FH will double in size?
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill ~ You asked that before and I answered it here.

For the umpteenth time PLEASE, PLEASE use Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and tick Save in UTF-8 file format.

OPEN FH AND DO THAT NOW ! ! ! ! !

THEN FH WILL NOT CONVERT GEDCOM TO UTF-16.

IT WILL NOT DOUBLE THE SIZE OF THE GEDCOM FILE.

YOU WILL NOT NEED TO USE EXPORT TO GET UTF-8.
Billread
Famous

Post by Billread »

Mike
there was nothing I saw that made it clear that the file size would double from UTF8 to UTF16...now that seems obvious
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One question:
Have you used Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and ticked Save in UTF-8 file format ? ? ?