* Create Family Tree CD/DVD or Website Content

A place for completed suggestions/corrections.

Moderator: kb admin

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Create Family Tree CD/DVD or Website Content

Post by tatewise »

These are the updates to Create Family Tree CD/DVD or Website Content to make it compatible with FH version V7.
Editorial instructions are given in italics below to differentiate from KB text.
Code text is enclosed in <code> </code> brackets. Changed KB text is shown in red

Add the following line above the existing Help file (v6): line.
Help file (v7): How to Create a Website or Family Tree CD/DVD

Add this new accordion above all the others.

Version 7

The ƒh Publish > Websites & Family Tree CD/DVDs... command wizard builds both Website and CD/DVD browser packages and supports multiple alternative packages. The initial dialogue allows the packages to be managed.

The output is saved in the Project data <code>….fh_data\Packages\</code> subfolder. A further subfolder holds each named package, which holds the settings for the package and a <code>\data files\</code> subfolder for the browser files.

Important note: You can only create a website using ƒh within the context of a project; it will not work for a standalone Gedcom file.

I believe the Wizard ~ Steps 1 to 8 have not significantly changed in FH v7 so do NOT need updating.

The Tips and Tricks accordion needs these minor corrections to the start of a couple of sentences.

Tips and Tricks

In ƒh V6 and later the Improve Website or CD DVD HTML plugin ......

HTML Tips and Tricks

A particular snag ......

ƒh V6 and later produce much tidier HTML files ......

Family Tree Tips ~ Set Page Background needs the following changes:

Introduction

2nd sentence needs Family Tree Tips ~ Alter CSS Default Style to be an active link to the KB page.

Insert HTML Head Code

The 2nd line needs href="custom/mystyle.css" to become <code>href="_custom/mystyle.css"</code>
i.e. add an underscore to _custom as advised by CP

Add CSS Script

Something similar to the following CSS statement must be placed in a plain text file named <code>mystyle.css</code> which must be included in a <code>\_custom\</code> subfolder of the <code>\data\</code> or <code>\data files\</code> subfolder holding the ƒh saved files. Your background image file <code>myimage.jpg</code> (or .png or .gif file) must be included in the same <code>\_custom\</code> subfolder. It will be rendered on the the web page by tiling it repeatedly to fill the background.

<code>body { background: #C0D0F0 url("myimage.jpg") }</code>

where the code <code>#C0D0F0</code> (which represents pale blue) is a background colour to use if the image file is missing.

myimage.jpg is your background image file... sentence is deleted from here and paraphrased above.

Either the colour code <code>#C0D0F0</code> or the image file <code>url("myimage.jpg")</code> may be omitted.

These background properties are explained at w3schools CSS Background.

Colour codes have several formats explained at w3schools HTML Colors and shown in an example below:
<code>
NAME: green
HEX: #008000
RGB: rgb(0,128,0)
RGB%: rgb(0%,50%,0%)
</code>
Placing your files in the <code>\_custom\</code> subfolder prevents them from being deleted when the wizard rebuilds the package.

Family Tree Tips ~ Alter CSS Default Styles needs the following changes:

Insert HTML Head Code

The 2nd line needs href="custom/mystyle.css" to become <code>href="_custom/mystyle.css"</code>

where <code>_custom/mystyle.css</code> is your CSS file created in the next step. Subsequently, by changing this one CSS file, the style of all the web pages can be altered without rebuilding any of them.

Add CSS Script

To change the font face, size, weight & colour, something similar to the following CSS script must be placed in a plain text file named <code>mystyle.css</code> which must be included in a <code>\_custom\</code> subfolder of the <code>\data\</code> or <code>\data files\</code> subfolder holding the ƒh saved files. That prevents the <code>\_custom\mystyle.css</code> file from being deleted when the package is rebuilt.

The remainder of this article is OK.

Family Tree Tips ~ Diagram Hyperlinks PDF and Family Tree Tips ~ Text Field URL Hyperlinks are both OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Create Family Tree CD/DVD or Website Content

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks, Mike. I'll work my way through this, but it will be slow... Christmas is coming.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Add the following line above the existing Help file (v6): line.
Help file (v7): How to Create a Website or Family Tree CD/DVD
Mike, this link doesn't work.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I always struggle getting the URL for a Help page.
For me none of the get link sync toc buttons seem to work ~ must just be me.
Anyway the link should be:
https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... ialog.html
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

All done now Mike -- unless you see something I've misinterpreted.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That all looks good Helen.
However, I've just spotted that Family Tree Tips ~ Set Page Background and Family Tree Tips ~ Text Field URL Hyperlinks omit V4 from the FH Versions whereas all the other pages on this topic include V4. Since V4 is mentioned throughout they should all be consistent, unless I go through and remove all the V3 & V4 advice. What do you think?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'll make them consistent, Mike. At some point, we'll remove V3 and V4 advice, when it becomes too unwieldy to keep it, but that day is not today.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

All done.