* Source Template Definitions

A place for completed suggestions/corrections.

Moderator: kb admin

Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Source Template Definitions

Post by Mark1834 »

I think the Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users) section could do with a new Accordion on Source Template Definitions to explain the hierarchy between definitions, templates and individual sources. The FH help is written assuming everybody will do it the CP way of starting with the definition and working down, but new users aren't doing that. They are doing what they are familiar with from other apps, and creating the template first, then getting stuck on how to share it.

I'm happy to do it - I've explained it enough times in individual threads :).
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Source Template Definitions

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Go for it, Mark -- and add it to the article for upgraders as well?
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Looking at exactly how this should be done, I think there is a better way that is more logical and avoids excessive duplication.

I propose renaming the Adding and Customising Source Templates in Version 7 page to Adding, Customising and Sharing Source Templates in Version 7.

I would then add a new accordion entitled Sharing User Defined and Imported Templates which will explain how FH works "top down" and the plugin is required to create a definition from a template.

With those additions, I think only minor edits would be required to the two introduction pages described above to ensure that users (particularly RM migrants who have always worked with source templates so naturally create the template first) go on to read the enhanced Adding, Customising and Sharing page.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Works for me.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »