* Backup and Recovery

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Backup and Recovery

Post by tatewise »

The updated Backup and Recovery article is certainly clearer, mainly due to focussing on just ƒh V6 & V7.
I have a few suggestions...

User data mentions "snapshots" and says 'Optimisation of snapshot frequency is described in the program help.' but does not refer the user to the program help for the Snapshot Manager dialogue and commands.

Program settings says 'ƒh does not provide any options for saving user-defined customisations.' which is not strictly correct.
As explained in Understanding the Scope of Features under Export and Import Options there are File > Import/Export commands for saving/loading most custom settings one by one.
Some customisations are saved within Projects as explained in Understanding the Scope of Features under Project Data, i.e. Books Settings, Fact Types, Plugin Data, Settings for CD or websites. They are included in Project Medium/Full Backups.
Perhaps the KB should say: 'ƒh does not provide any bulk backup/restore options for program-wide customisations.'
It could also cross-refer to the Understanding the Scope of Features sections.

Where to save could cross-refer to the KB articles for OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive that lead on to PC sync, etc.

Backup file ~ would this be better inside or immediately after the User data section to which it relates?

Restoring data should say it is inadvisable to restore into any ƒh version earlier than the version that created the backup, especially if the leading version digit is different, i.e. Do not restore from ƒh V7 into ƒh V6.
Would the section title Restoring user data and program settings be clearer?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Backup and Recovery

Post by Mark1834 »

Done - tweaked as necessary.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't see User data reference to Snapshot Manager help page.

Is Restoring user data and program settings too long heading?

I guess they were not considered necessary.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I don't see User data reference to Snapshot Manager help page. - it’s there, for both V6 and V7.

Is Restoring user data and program settings too long heading? - there’s no such heading in the page.

The final edit was nearly half an hour before your posting, so you probably didn’t refresh your browser and in your keenness commented on a partly edited version... :)
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I waited until you posted that the tweaks were done!

The snapshot reference to help currently says:
"Optimisation of snapshot frequency is described in the program help for both Version 6 and Version 7."
i.e. It implies that those links refer to optimisation of snapshot frequency rather than the Snapshot Manager.
The Snapshot Manager is the dialogue for reverting to and deleting Snapshots, not adjusting frequency.
Snapshot frequency is customised using Tools > Preferences > General tab, Advanced... button.
So the links to V6 and V7 Help are OK but not in the context of that sentence about optimising snapshot frequency.

I am suggesting that the heading Restoring data be renamed to Restoring user data and program settings which is consistent with the earlier headings User data and Program settings.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I'm happy with it as it is, but the KB is a wiki - if you want to micromanage every update, feel free to change it...
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In the thread Backup - Unable to open zip file (20507) davidf asks:
"Out of interest when you restore a Backup does it over-write or create a xxxx(2) project structure?"

The way that Small Backups and Medium/Full Backups were restored used to be explained in the KB advice, but not now.

So I looked at the FH Help page for Backups under How to Restore From a Backup and it does not explain either.
It does not even mention the new .fhbak file type!

Should we press CP to update the Help page or add an explanation to the KB?