* Mimic FH V6 Source Citation Pane in FH V7

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Mimic FH V6 Source Citation Pane in FH V7

Post by LornaCraig »

That's OK.
I am well aware that the layout configurations don't require the Citation Window to be kept open, but the main benefit of those layouts is that it can be kept open without obscuring anything else on the screen. The layouts are not of help to people who don't want to keep the window open. In fact they are more of a hindrance, because they mean the main FH window cannot fill the whole screen. That's why I had said " If you wish to keep the window open" before "you may find the following two possible layout configurations helpful.".
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm wondering if a variant of Layout Configuration B either as a replacement or in addition would be worthwhile.
It illustrates Maximised full screen mode for the main fh window with a floating Property Box and Citation Window that only need be open when necessary. The same layout would apply to full screen Records or Query windows where clicking an Individual or Family record would open the Property Box and then the Citation Wndow.

I'm guessing a little because my crystal ball cannot visualise your layout configuration other than knowing you like using the Diagram Window and have the Citation List Pane docked at the Bottom of Property Box :D

CitationLayoutC.png
CitationLayoutC.png (290.4 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

For the benefit of your crystal ball, I keep the Property Box open and docked (with the 'Sources for' Citation list below it) at all times. The Citation Window, when I need it, opens somewhere over whatever window is displayed on the left. The window on the left is usually the Diagram window, but sometimes it's the main Media window, in which I view the source media image which I have already added to FH when I created the Source. (The Media window initially displays the Media record info in the Propety Box but using the back arrow on the Property box takes me back to where I was.) Sometimes I shift the CW to the right to cover the PB while I look at the Media window.

To be honest I think there are so many different ways of working that it's not worth trying to provide illustrations for every scenario. It is definitely worth showing Layout A as an illustration of what can be done, and that might be sufficient to prompt people to experiment for themselves.
Lorna
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Layout C is exactly how I use FH, except that I have the property box docked with the focus window open, but floating with the diagram window. I have the citation window of similar size and position as in your image, but only open it when I need it. I also have FH set to resize to the width of the property box and citation window combined, using the button on the program titlebar, so that I can display a source image or other information on the left half of my screen whilst creating a new source etc. in FH on the right.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think it would be helpful to provide two illustrated configurations and propose the following adjustment to the article from near the end of the Citation Window section:

The floating Citation Window size and position should be remembered by ƒh from one session to the next.

Depending on workflow and screen size, the Citation Window can be closed when not in use so it does not take up space. It can also be left open at all times.

Layout Configuration Examples
There are many configurations of the main ƒh window with docked or floating Property Box and Citation List Pane windows that can be organised to suit your workflow.

By illustration, the following two examples show:
  1. Restored Down main ƒh window with a docked Property Box and a floating Citation List Pane
  2. Maximised main ƒh window with a floating Property Box and a docked Citation List Pane
Layout Configuration A

<as earlier>

Layout Configuration B
This may work better on smaller screens.

Ensure that the main ƒh window is displayed full screen. If necessary click the Maximise square button in the top right corner.
Display a Diagram Window with the Property Box floating near its right edge occupying about a quarter of the screen width.

Use the Property Box cog Menu > Options... to set the Preferred Position for Citation List Pane for the floating mode to be Bottom of Property Box.

Open the Citation List Pane (Sources For) and readjust the Property Box size and position as necessary.

Open the Citation Window and adjust its size and position to the lower left of the Property Box.

This layout also works well with the Media Window showing a source document image.

The resulting configuration should appear as illustrated below.

<CitationLayoutC.png goes here>
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes I'm happy with that. Those two examples should be sufficient to make people realise there is scope for experiment.
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 22 Jan 2022 17:01 Also relevant: Customize Citation Window Problem (20234) which discusses a bug which may render this unworkable in some circumstances.
I was just notified of a fix for this problem in version 7.0.10. I did some testing and it does seem to be fixed.

I got the new release attached to the email, but it looks like it is also available on the FH website using the Download Family Historian button.

Bill
Last edited by tatewise on 23 Feb 2022 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Focussed the Quote on the bug that has been fixed