* Flags amp; Icons

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
makfai
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Flags amp; Icons

Post by makfai »

Have bought new computer and reinstalled Ver5 on the new one (V5was on the old computer).

I have imported the files (gedcom etc) and all my flags are listed in the Edit>Record Flag menu. However none of them are displayed in the diagram nor in the diagram>boxes menu.

Where have they gone? Why did they not install? How do I get them back?

ID:6307
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Flags amp; Icons

Post by Jane »

tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

Please study the Knowledge Base entry for how to Move Family Historian Settings from PC to PC.

You have probably customised some of the Standard Diagram settings, so check the section on Diagram Settings.

There may be many other settings and preferences that you have customised, and it is worth considering all these now rather than later.
Some users have found that using Windows Easy Transfer to migrate all settings (not just FH) from old PC to new PC works well.
Otherwise, use the individual techniques described in the article.

If you can give details of the old and new PC Windows Operating System (XP, Vista, Win 7), and any FH settings or preferences you have problems with, then more specific help can be provided.
makfai
Famous

Flags amp; Icons

Post by makfai »

Thanks for the replies

I had used the Windows Easy Transfer utility for the transfer and had assumed that as the settings were coming from Ver 5 to Ver 5 that they would all transfer creating essentially a complete copy.

I had already started reselecting the Icons for the flags on a one-by-one basis (which I see the article says must be done) but had hoped that there may have been a shortcut.
tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

The Diagram Icons section only refers to Custom Icons, so I presume that is the problem you have.

Windows Easy Transfer presumably copied all your Icon Files OK, but it is the file paths to them that have changes in the Diagram Box Features.
This is because the file paths have changed from old PC to new PC.

As the article recommends, I advise that you place your Icon Files in the ...Calico PieFamily HistorianIcons folder, or a sub-folder.
Then transferring from PC to PC will be less problematic.
tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

To everyone who has moved from an Windows XP PC to a Windows 7/Vista PC.

If your Diagrams used Icons from the C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico PieFamily HistorianIcons XP folder, did they automatically adjust to the C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianIcons Win 7/Vista folder?

Or did you have to manually correct each Box Feature entry individually?
tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

I have just checked this, and it works OK, because all Diagram Box selections of standard FH Icons are saved without a path, just a filename.
Thus they transfer from Windows XP to Windows 7/Vista OK.

But check that C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico PieFamily Historian... files in Windows XP, do transfer to the C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily Historian... files in Windows 7/Vista.

However, the above only works if both PC have FH V5 .fhdx Diagram Type files (or both have FH V3/V4 .fhd Diagram Type files).

To transfer earlier FH V3/V4 .fhd Diagram Type files into FH V5 you must use File > Import/Export > Import > Diagram Type to convert them to .fhdx files.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by davidm_uk »

My old XP PC was running FH 5.0.5 and I've just bought a new Win 7 PC.

I've installed FH 5.0.5 on the new PC and manually copied the whole project folder across, (I didn't use Windows Easy Transfer). Ran FH, the project opened OK but no icons and flags on the standard diagrams (the ones accessed from the toolbar buttons). I'd forgotten about the the Calico Pie folder!

Now copied the Calico Pie folder from the old PC (C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication Data) into C:ProgramData on the new machine.

Still no icons on flags on the standard diagrams, although they are there on the custom diagrams.

The diagram types are fhdx on both PCs.

I've still got the old XP PC intact, so could uninstall everything from the new PC and start again, but is there a simpler way to fix the problem? Is there something I've forgotten to do?
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I am still using one XP computer and one W7 computer with the projects folder on dropbox.
I use synctoy to synchronise the apps data folder via a USB drive, and have had no problems at all with my flags, icons or diagrams.
tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

David ~ You have forgotten about the Windows Registry based special Standard Diagrams.

See how to Move Family Historian Settings - (Wish I had a £1 for every time I had referred to that advice!)

Some users report that using Windows Easy Transfer transfers these (and other) Windows Registry settings.
BUT, in your case you only need to follow the advice for transferring these Standard Diagram settings.

Also there is now a V5 Plugin Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings to do the whole job of transferring ALL settings.
smol
Platinum

Flags amp; Icons

Post by smol »

I am having the same problem as the people above.
New computer - Vista to Windows 7
Version 5 FH on both computers.
Used 'Easy Transfer' to move documents etc.
On FH icons showing on diagrams are standard ones not the customised ones census etc. No custom queries or diagrams
I have read and reread and tried using the info given on transfering settings etc.
I had the application settings (flags ,icons,queries etc standard + custom ) saved onto a flash drive and moved them to programme data .Was that the correct thing to do ?
I have tried the windows registry diagrams settings as suggested above to no avail.
I am now completely confused. Is it worth me trying the plug in mentioned( I have not yet tried any plug ins)?
Or should I uninstall and start again ?
smol
PeterR
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by PeterR »

I recently moved all my FH5 stuff from XP on old laptop to Windows 7 on new laptop.  I was very happy with the result of using the V5 Plugin Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings to do the whole job of transferring ALL settings.  It was only after using the Plugin that all my custom queries, etc., and diagram icons were as they should be.
tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

smol ~ It is not clear what problems you are having and what features are not working, especially as you have no Custom Queries nor Diagrams.
What customisations are not working as expected?

The V5 Plugin Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings is specifically designed to solve such problems.
smol
Platinum

Flags amp; Icons

Post by smol »

This is where I am with my transfer

Family Historian version 5.0.7  Vista to Windows 7

In view / Standard diagrams - list is there.
In view/ Custom diagrams - nothing there. Should be 4 diagrams.

In view / Standard queries / Queries were there but have now disappeared - no doubt to my moving files.
In View Custom queries - nothing there. Should be 5

Comp/C/ Program data/calico pie/ Fam Historian/ Queries/ standard - list is there for both standard & custom.

As above /Family Historian / Diagrams/ Standard list is there but not the custom ones.

The text schemes I have sorted out by updating manually.

I have sorted out the icons they were all there but some were nested in the folder. I have linked these to the flags and all are now showing on the diagrams.

I have had a look at the plugin to try to sort things out (I find it very scary ! - 'make a copy of windows registry' I have no idea what it is nor where it is !) I am scared of messing things up completely.
I have downloaded plugin to both computers (both with FH 5.0.7)
Used it to do back up on old computer(ignoring all the warnings, fingers crossed) - What now ? Do I use export/ Plugin/ Backup and restore family Historian Settings  to send it to a flash drive and then use import on the new computer in the hope everything will be sorted ?
Sorry to be so thick - I appreciate all the trouble you have gone to in order to help make the transfer easier, but I am struggling.
Many thanks
smol
tatewise
Megastar

Flags amp; Icons

Post by tatewise »

Check the Help & Advice.

You will probably have suitable Windows System Restore points to restore the Registry if anything should go wrong, but as the Plugin author I am confident it will all be OK.

On the old Vista PC the Plugin saved all the FH settings in the chosen Backup folder e.g. C:Users\My DocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsBackupFamily Historian.

Use Windows Explorer to copy this folder to the new Win 7 PC via a USB pen-drive, or any other convenient method.

Then on the new Win 7 PC run the Plugin to Restore from that folder.
smol
Platinum

Flags amp; Icons

Post by smol »

Tatewise - You are brilliant and deserve a gold medal !
Many many thanks all sorted now.

For anyone else like me who is hesitant and not sure what they are doing see below
It took me a little time to decide where to save the file to on the new computer but the pathway was listed clearly when I eventually realised. Then run the plugin again with Restore some scary bits about which file to keep and then hey presto it all worked. Marvellous !