* How to Query citation fields?

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
kpm
Family Historian: None

How to Query citation fields?

Post by kpm »

There must be a simple answer to this - I'm in the process of checking my sources/citations but can't see a way to query on the various citation fields.

E.g. typically I'd like to select records where the 'Text From Source' field contains a certain piece of text AND the 'Where Within Source' field is blank.

Regards to all.

ID:4739
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

Assuming you have V4. Use the Fact query and then drill into the fact tree on the left of the Columns tab to find the fields you want and once added as a column you can then easily select them as row selectors.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

The trouble is that if we have several Sources being cited against a fact, wouldn't we have to have a set of columns in the query for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, etc citation? Or am I missing something in dealing with these beasties?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You are correct, you would need several columns, which is one of the reasons I have detailed sources, with very little in the citations.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Jane. Like you, I split my sources down to a low level and put little in the citation - even so, I have numerous facts with several citations, the classic case being a birth where I try to cite each source carrying someone's age, so might have a registration index, baptism, several censuses, marriage, etc., all containing evidence about someone's age.

On reflection, if I wanted to use a fact query to check the citations, looking at the first 2 or 3 would probably serve, particularly since I try to re-order my citations in date order, so my primary source is likely to be first and if I'm missing a citation, that doesn't need to look beyond the first.

Either way round, it's probably not a dreadful impact needing to use several columns for several citations.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

It is possible in V4.1 to use a Fact Query with the following column and filter definitions (e.g. for kpm's original query):
You can run the Query first specifying 1 for the Index and whatever text is required.  Then you can run the Query again but with 2 for the Index, and keeping the same text. Repeat until 0 rows are returned.  For convenience, some of the code is as follows:

Code: Select all

=GetField(%FACT%,'%FACT.SOUR[' . ['Index'] . ']>')
=GetField(%FACT%,'%FACT.SOUR[' . ['Index'] . '].DATA.TEXT%')
=Text(GetField(%FACT%,'%FACT.SOUR[' . ['Index'] . '].DATA.TEXT%'))
=IsSet(GetField(%FACT%,'%FACT.SOUR[' . ['Index'] . '].PAGE%'))