* Entering occupations

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
Forpm
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Entering occupations

Post by Forpm »

Is it possible to enter occupations by running down a list of people on a table, rather than entering each individual record and going via the facts tab?

ID:4156
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Entering occupations

Post by PeterR »

The vast majority of the occupations that I have entered have come from various census returns, so naturally I have entered them by using Nick Walker's excellent Gedcom Census, downloadable from this site: http://www.fhug.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cg ... dCom&id=14

I don't think it is possible with FH to enter any data directly into a table, as if using a spreadsheet but, since you are presumably using version 4, I can suggest a method which avoids the Facts tab:

If you only want to enter a single occupation for each individual, you can do so using the Main tab of the Property Box, with the Property Box docked beside the Individual Records window.  Alternatively, if you can specify a subset of individuals for whom you want to enter the occupation, you could use a Query window showing e.g. individuals with no occupation, again with the Property Box docked.

If you need to enter more than one occupation per individual (as Gedcom Census would do, i.e. one per census year) you could customize a new custom tab on the Property Box to show several occupation fields, each with the relevant date field, etc.  But I would prefer to use Gedcom Census if possible.
Forpm
Gold

Entering occupations

Post by Forpm »

Thanks, Peter.....but how do I enter occupations on the main tab?
Forpm
Gold

Entering occupations

Post by Forpm »

Ignore last post - sorry!