* Private Individuals in Census Records

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
ricm
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Private Individuals in Census Records

Post by ricm »

Hi,

I have two imaginary individuals I use for test purposes. The Privacy flag is set for them so they never appear on the published GED.

I also have a dummy census record, also for testing.

When I inspect the exported GED (private individuals not included) the census record is still there and shows the two test people even though they do not appear as individuals within the GED.

In this instance I could simply delete the dummy census record but in principle how can I hide the data concerning real private individuals from the census record?

It seems to me that I can't do this because the individuals are listed as pure text in the single 'Text From Source' field. But should I even worry about this because the information is largely in the public domain in any case? What do others do/think?

Thanks,
Ric

ID:3731
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

A couple of thoughts.

If it's simply in the text from source if you could wrap the relevent text in [[ ]] which would mean you could exclude it from reports and generated pages, using the exclude private notes option.

Personally as this only effects public records I can't see it matters too much.
ricm
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Post by ricm »

Hi Jane,
'Personally as this only effects public records I can't see it matters too much.'

Agreed,
Thanks,
Ric
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by PeterR »

Any 'Actual Text' in a Source record, and any 'Text from Source' in a Source Citation is most likely to appear in the 'Sources' footnote section(s) of a report, where 'private' text in double square brackets is generally displayed even if the 'Inc. [ [private] ] Notes' checkbox is unticked.  As I mentioned elsewhere (http://www.fhug.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cg ... y&num=4080), some 'private' notes (in double square brackets) are not suppressed in reports, but only in exports where similar 'private' parts of Source text are also suppressed, although I have not found this latter feature in FH documentation. As a precaution, I suggest careful checking of reports to ensure any 'private' text is not accidentally appearing.