* Best way to build an interesting web site ??

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
maud
Family Historian: None

Best way to build an interesting web site ??

Post by maud »

Am about to fulfil one of my New Year resolutions and finally put up a web site for all the family history stuff and wondered if anyone could give me any pointers or links to sites to look at for inspiration.

Although I have been messing around with computers and databases for years, so am not quite a complete novice, I have yet to build a web site.

I know I could easily just generate one with Legacy or one of the other programs such as gedHTree etc, but I'd like to do more than this.

Ideally I would like to have, in addition to the basic site as generated by one of the above -

1 - a public area for all to see, with something like this forum for feedback

2 - a further 'members' area where living/publicity shy  family members could view/chat/post items that they would prefer not to be easily available to the whole world

3 - loads (>500) of photo's and scanned images as thumbnails or to download

4 - One of my lines has turned into a 'one name study', as there seem to be so few of us worldwide. It would be great to have some form of incorporating the database/spreadsheet data that I have such as BMD etc for view and to encourage feedback.

Looking at Jane's and other peoples sites shows how much is possible - if only I knew how...

I would also like to see other peoples favourite family sites to gather more ideas.

Have taken on board Jane's idea and registered the domain names with getdotted/ freeola and am now raring to go. I am willing to learn about php or css or whatever the latest good methods are.

Thanks and happy new year to everyone

Julia

ID:20
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Best way to build an interesting web site ??

Post by Jane »

Hi,

The WebApp that I use for this site would be a good start for the private pages.  Although I have public access turned on here you can turn it off so that each new member must be approved by the administrator.

All the tools I use for my site have links on the Bibliography page
http://www.taubman.org.uk/family/bibi.html

When starting out, pick one area you want to concentrate on and do that first.  

For instance build the photo album (the one I use is easy and free).  

Make the thumbnails
Upload thumbnails and pictures.
There thats one thing done.

Take is steady, remember most sites have been growing over time. Mine has been around in one form or another for 6 years.

If you are with freeola you have many tools available in the way of CGI PHP etc. If you get stuck leave a message here and someone will try and help I am sure.