* Help me to trace a DoB

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
david63
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by david63 »

Not sure if I should post this here - but I will give it a go.

I have the following information for my Great Grandmother:
Census    3 Apr 1881 age 23 born in Barnsley
Marriage 17 Sep 1882 age 27
Census    5 Apr 1891 age 32 born in Stockport
Census   31 Mar 1901 age 45 born in Barnsley
Died     26 Aug 1924 age 71

As you can see she was born somewhere between 27 Aug 1852 and 5 Apr 1859 probably in either Barnsley or Stockport.

I am 99% certain that all of this data relates to the correct person.

I am of the opinion that her age at death may be suspect as the death was registered by her Son-in-Law. Her age at marriage may also be suspect as it is the same as her husband's and the place of birth on the 1891 census could well be incorrect.

I have searched the index of births between 1852-1859 but cannot find her there as being born in either Barnsley or Stockport.

Has anyone any suggestions as to where to look next?

ID:192
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by Jane »

Have you tried searching for a baptisum instead. My husbands GGGrandfather born 1861, did not seem to be registered, but I found his baptisum via the IGI, and a lady in Canada sent me the image of the page including the date of birth entered by the Vicar.

I think some early registrations especially pre 1875 births were just simply not done.
david63
Diamond

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by david63 »

Yes - been there, tried that one.

Any more suggestions anyone?

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by Guest »

Have you tried the FreeBMD site? There just might be a chance that her records are on there.

Nigel
david63
Diamond

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by david63 »

Yup!!!!
SallyL
Gold
Family Historian: None

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by SallyL »

Hi David

I have the censuses for 1861 and 1871 for the Yorkshire area.  If you would like to post the details of the person you are searching for I will have a look for them next time I look at those censuses.  I have come accross the same problem recently and have often found a different birth place recorded in these censuses that have helped me to find the entry for the birth in the registers.  I have just ordered one birth certificate for 1840 that has eluded me for the last 18 months but the details in these censuses have (hopefully) enabled me to find the birth in the registers.

All the best
SallyL[smile]
david63
Diamond

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by david63 »

Thanks for the offer but from the information I have it would seem that she was living in Stockport, Cheshire around the 1861/71.

Ii I find differntly I may well come back and take up your offer - thanks anyway
philjo
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by philjo »

Have you tried the births indexes in the local Register offices?

My gg grandmother does not appear in the GRO births index, but Leeds register office were able to supply me with a birth certificate from their local register. during the process of copying entries from the local offices for submissiontto the GRO, some entries were omitted from the GRO and also some have had transcription errors, so the GRO register may show the wrong name/spelling.

I don't know about Barnsley or Stockport, but Leeds register office are very efficient and friendly, and quickly reply to queries sent by email.

Jeremy
nsw

Help me to trace a DoB

Post by nsw »

If she was born in Cheshire than you may be in luck. The website http://cheshirebmd.org.uk has most of Cheshire BMD records from the local register offices indexed for the 1800s (and some for the 1900s). I notice that the births for Stockport are indexed for 1837 to 1879 so you may find what you are looking for there.

Nick Walker