* FH 5.0 not updating via ';Check for updatesqu

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
neil40
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

FH 5.0 not updating via ';Check for updatesqu

Post by neil40 »

Anyone else getting this problem?

I've been regulary checking for updates via the Help>Check for updates... option in 5.0 and it always tells me that it's the latest version

It wasn't until I came here randomly, that I find there are now 6 updates available!

ID:6385
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

neil40,

The 6 releases you are talking about, 5.0.1 through 5.0.6, are not GA releases.  They are release candidates.  That is why the check for updates option doesn't find them.

You can find release candidates on the Family Historian website at this link:  http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade

Bill
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

...and a GA is?

Doesn't really make sense to me that Release Candidate fixes are not flagging from the program Check update routine.
It's not what I am used to with other programs, and especially Genealogy programs like TMG and Legacy that tell you about all updates.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Sorry about that. GA is the abbreviation for Generally Available.

I guess that is up to Family Historian. Not sure why they do it that way, but they do.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As far as I can recall, this is the first major FH Version for which Calico Pie have adopted this Release Candidate approach.

In previous versions Calico Pie have kept bug fixes and new features to themselves until they were happy for a GA release.
nsw

Post by nsw »

I think Calico are letting those of us who visit this site try out these updates for a short period and then if no major problems are reported they can begin to advertise it the larger number of people who don't even know this site exists! This already seems to have been a sensible approach as, for example, 5.0.4 introduced a nasty glitch that was quickly replaced by 5.0.5 and then by 5.0.6
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

... And now version 5.0.7!
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

How did you get 5.0.7 Peter.
I just clicked on the link and I am not getting a download option? I just get sent round in circles.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Sorry, but that page has evidently changed since this morning, and now has no download at all!
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

So neither 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 are available now!
RogerF
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by RogerF »

Availability now fixed.
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Post by SimonOrde »

Sorry about that everyone!  Normal service has now resumed and 5.0.7 is once again available for download.

While I'm posting, some people have asked why we call them 'Release Candidates' and don't immediately update Check For Updates every time we make a new release available on the latest free upgrade page.  It's partly just sensible caution, as Nick says.  It's partly also that we don't want ordinary users to feel obliged to update their version of FH, every time we bring out what might be quite a minor patch, that may not in practice affect them at all.  We want to keep unnecessary disruption for ordinary users to a minimum.  Every now and again we will update the 'Check for Updates' flag to bring it up-to-date with the version available in the Free Upgrades page (we're probably due to do this quite soon).  But we don't want to do it too frequently or it may become annoying for ordinary users.  Of course we strongly encourage anyone who needs a particular feature or bug fix included in a patch, to not wait for 'Check for Updates' to be updated, but to go ahead and download the latest patch immediately.
annejay55
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Post by annejay55 »

Sorry for a silly question but I have just found this in the forum after trying for updates in the manner quoted. Can some kind soul tell me - are the release candidates cumulative? Up till now I have not downloaded any and am at version 5.0.0 so need to know if I need 5.0.7 only or all 7 if I go ahead.

I take on board that not everyone will need everything as we are not all at the same stage or using the same things within the program.

Many thanks, Anne
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

FH 5.0.7 is all you need.
annejay55
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Post by annejay55 »

Dear Peter

Thank you very much - that is very helpful and a relief.

All good wishes, Anne