* 'New!' Persists after Reading Postings

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

'New!' Persists after Reading Postings

Post by tatewise »

This is a New! phenomenon.
When a new posting is listed the New Posts icon appears and New! is in blue after the Subject line.

In the past simply reading a posting would clear both the icon and the New! suffix.
Now the New! suffix persists, unless I use the Mark Posts as Read link at the bottom, or Post Reply to the posting.

ID:6282
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Mike, I have not changed anything on the server or web-app software, are you using a different browser or has anything else changed you can think of?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

This has just happened to me a couple of times, but not consistently.

Conversely, in an additional twist I've had some cases where the New Posts icon correctly appeared but the new posts in question were NOT marked with the New! suffix!

Using my usual Firefox browser.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I have not experienced the problem Mike pointed out, but today for the first time I am having the problem that Lorna describes.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have not changed anything that I am aware of.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I have just had it happen to me.
The first post I read, stayed showing 'New!' even after I went to the list (I did not use the 'Back' button).
The second post I read (Which I replied to) did not show 'New!' after reading and replying (Top two posts in 'General' at the time of writing.
{edit}
The top post in 'Usage' [adoptive parents], the icon was showing as new (but no 'New!) although there were no changes since I last read it. (this happens quite a lot)
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

Same for me too! Just read two 'new' post in General. The first one I read (2nd on down) stayed with its 'new' but the second one I read (at the top of the list) had 'new' removed when I had read it.

I recall this happening before about 2 or 3 months ago!

Anne
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I believe it is related to the time/date of the last post to the thread. It may also not be a coincidence that we've just changed to 1st June today.

At 23:10 tonight (01-06-12 23:10) I read the General Forum post 'Forum Posting Lost' (Last Post 31-05-12 23:27:31) and it stayed 'New'. All the other 'New' posts that I read with times before 23:10 (whatever the date) had the 'New' disappear when I read them.

When I just read that forum post again (01-06-12 23:28 having waited for that time to tick round) the New disappeared. It is as if it was looking at the time and ignoring the date. So when I read it before 23:27 it considered the post to have been made in the future (even though the day before) but after 23:27 it considered it the past and therefore 'read'.

Hope that makes sense and helps Jane to track the problem down.

Nick
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Now we are well and truly into a new month, all the persistent New! suffixes do clear after simply reading the postings.
jeemo
Famous
Family Historian: V5

Post by jeemo »

I believe it is related to the time/date of the last post to the thread.
Probably this might also explain why we see a date of 29 February (non-leap year), 31 April, 31 June, 31 September and 31 November here in Australia which as I understand it doesn't happen in England.