* Which Forum?

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
rob p
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Which Forum?

Post by rob p »

I am new to FamilyHistorian. This forum and the one on groups.io are wonderful. Having not just one, but two excellent community support venues is amazing to this refugee from FTM and RM.
I almost daily peruse both forums. I often just pick a thread and read it; I learn something new about FH every time.

But it’s confusing. Is there a fundamental difference between the two? Is one more for a certain type of question/issue than the other? Or one more favored by the CP helpers?
BillH
Megastar

Re: Which Forum?

Post by BillH »

Rob,

This forum is hosted by the Family Historian User's Group. It is not affiliated officially with Calico Pie the creators of Family Historian. The groups.io forum is hosted by Calico Pie.

Another main difference is that you can upload files and screenshots to this forum and they appear right away. On the goups.io forum your posting is delayed while the message is reviewed and approved if it has attachments.

Personally I much prefer this FHUG forum. I find it much easier to hold a discussion with others on topics. Also the FHUG has a knowledge base which has a lot of valuable information and downloads. Any type of question relating to Family Historian can be asked on either forum. Calico Pie does not actively monitor this forum anymore and I've not seen many, if any, Calico Pie folks replying on the groups.io forum either.

Bill
Last edited by BillH on 14 Feb 2021 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The groups.io Email forum only deals with Family Historian issues.

This FHUG forum covers FH, Ancestral Sources, Research guidance, and many other genealogy-related topics.

I find it much easier to follow long thread discussions here than in the Email forum.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 13 Feb 2021 23:57 I find it much easier to follow long thread discussions here than in the Email forum.
Mike, if you go to https://groups.io/g/family-historian/topics you can use the mailing list like a forum, viewing it by topics, seeing responses before they're sent out and reply on site.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Agreed, but I still prefer the FHUG Forums that have far better features, immediate attachments, formatted text, bookmarks, subscriptions, etc, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I noticed this comment in the latest issue of 'Cheshire Ancestor' newletter:
(in document above) I refer to the FH User Group at https://www.fhug.org.uk, but there’s a group on groups.io that’s even more active - I strongly recommend FH users to join, at https://groups.io/g/familyhistorian. As I write, the group has 1,140 members, covering 354 topics.
Which seemed odd to me because it always feels like there are lots more discussion topics and regular posts on the FHUG site!
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

We have 6129 members... and many more topics. I'll bet there's no way to correct them.