* Merging Project Files - FH v4

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
brian1950
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Merging Project Files - FH v4

Post by brian1950 »

I gave my researches a rest for a year and am now back into using FH, and for the first time need to merge two Projects.

I've read the Merge Compare Files from the FHKB, and have copied and renamed the two Projects, let's call them 'Smith Copy' and 'Jones Copy' leaving the originals unchanged.

Tentatively, I've had a 'play' with the Merge feature and have found it pretty easy going except for Media, i.e. my pictures.

After merging a trial run and viewing the result in the Focus window some face link images are left blank as their links haven't been copied across (some photos are common to both Projects).

Is there something I'm missing doing with the Media links in the Compare stage? There are only about eight files out 200 but it's bugging me!

Also, once I have the merged Project completed I would like to rename it to say, 'Smith-Jones Families'. I have to do this via the Project Window, right? (Project Window>More Task>Rename Project.

It's been a while since I last used FH, so my skills are a little rusty. Any useful hints or tips regarding Merge would be most welcome. Are there any really obvious pitfalls to watch out for?

Thank you in advance.

Brian

ID:6357
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

This may be obvious, but are all the Multimedia images OK on the 'Smith Copy' and 'Jones Copy'.
Use Tools > Work with External File Links and check there are no files with an X against them.

In the Merge File dialogue I assume you are checking all the seven tabs.
I think after approving the Merge there is a dialogue regarding copying image files.
Did you answer appropriately to copy all the images.

Yes Project Window > More Tasks > Rename Project will do it.
brian1950
Diamond

Post by brian1950 »

Thank you, Tatewise, for the prompt response.

Yes, I did check all of the tabs, but obviuosly I'm missing something.

None of the face links on the two original projects are missing: all of the media links show properly, and the files were verified before I started the merge process.

All of the media are showing in both of the original FH Project Media files.

Tomorrow I'll have another go and systematically double check all of the dialogue boxes as best as I can as I go through the process.

The trial run was pretty succesful in merging altogether 900 individuals and about 170 media files: only 20 or photos are shown as missing.

One last question; which is best to merge my files before I upgrase to FH v5 or afterwards? Or doesn't this matter one way or the other?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To answer your last question first, I don't think it matters whether you do the Merge in FH V4 or FH V5.

Try using Tools > Work with External File Links and check the files with an X against them.
Why are the file paths/names incorrect?
There is obviously some disagreement between where FH thinks these files should be and where they actually are located.
Are the photo files present in the merged Project Media folder where you expect them to be?
brian1950
Diamond

Post by brian1950 »

I feel as though I am going to have to admit defeat with this!

Four times I have copied the projects, validated them, used the merge feature to carefully check every tab and duplicate record etc, discarding those struck through, and then merging the two projects.

Every time the then merged project shows some face link images as blanks. I have used the Work With External Files feature and can see there are about fifteen images with crosses against them.

I can live with this. The merge file validates okay. So...
I would like to reestablish the blank face link images.

When I attempt to use Add>Pictures I am not asked if I want a copy made to my Media file, which has always happened in the past. It appears to only make a link too the images, which is not what I want.

Also, I notice in the Project Window, my newly merged project isn't showing, I can only open it via Project window>More Tasks...>Gedcom File Tasks, and I can't rename the newly merged project as the Default Projects to Rename Project section is greyed out.

I'm using MS Vista and FH v4, and have always allowed FH to use the recommended defaults for file and project construction.

The copies I made (using File>Gedocm File Tasks>Save A Gedcom File Copy...) of the projects before merging show below the original projects in Family Historian Projects>Smith>Smith'fh_data>Smith

Any ideas, folks?!

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah!!! That is the problem - the Copies are NOT Projects!

What you have created are standalone GEDCOM files with absolute links to Media.

You should use More Tasks > Copy Project to create the 'Smith Copy' and 'Jones Copy'.
brian1950
Diamond

Post by brian1950 »

I went for a cycle ride this afternoon (and got soaked!) to clear my head and try and think through the problem.

I came to the somwhat befuddled conclusion that maybe all I am copying are the record files and somehow not the whole project including its media.

Thank you, Tatewise, for your email pointing me to the error - this evening I'm going to clear the decks and start afresh.

Incidentally, the Merge Compare File - Merge/Compare Procedure from the FHKB states: 'Make a copy of the new file outside of Family Historian (e.g. using Windows Explorer).' but by stating 'file' and not stating 'Project' this is open to error as I have proved.

Perhaps if the instructions read as you have explained - use More Tasks>Copy Project to create the Projects to be merged - it would be clear for users with my rudimentary skills set!

Perhaps naturally - and wrongly - I assumed 'file' meant file rather than 'Project' and therefore used File>Gedcom File Tasks>Save A Gedcom File Copy...).

Once again many thanks for your time and effort, it is much appreciated.

Brian

[smile][oops][confused]
brian1950
Diamond

Post by brian1950 »

Just a quick post: two projects merged and name-changed successfully... though I have missed a couple of duplicate images - so quick tidy up tomorrow and the job is done.

Very many thanks for your help and assistance putting me on the correct path, Tatewise.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think the misleading wording in the FHKB is due to its age.
It was last updated in 2008, which pre-dates FH V4, and the introduction of Projects.

You can check the latest version date by clicking the Old revisions link near the bottom left of the page.