* Restore a Temporary File

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
Tommyone
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Restore a Temporary File

Post by Tommyone »

Due to an unknown error, when I finished with my database, I went to save and backup the file. However a message stated that I couldn't save into the default location and I could only save by using a temporary file. The file as ends ~fh EACA.tmp. Now on attempting to open the file it states ' this file does not have a programme associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Assocatons control panel'

My OS is vista....can some soul give me a clue what I should do?

This is the first problem that I have had in over 2 years with the program.

ID:4924
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Restore a Temporary File

Post by tatewise »

I too have started having this problem with FH V4.1.3 occasionally complaining about saving the .ged file, and saving it as a ~fhXXXX.tmp file, where XXXX can comprise any characters 0-9 & A-F.
In my case I have taken a copy of the .tmp file, renamed the copy to the original .ged filename, and copied this file back to the project folder.
Then FH opens the recovered file correctly, and on using File > Validate FH says all is OK.

Furthermore, I have used File > Backup/Restore > Restore to restore an earlier .ged version to a different folder, and performed a file comparison between the restored .ged and recovered .tmp. The only differences have been the expected minor changes associated with the latest save, and no changes appear to be lost.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Tommyone
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Restore a Temporary File

Post by Tommyone »

Thanks for you reply, I will try out your suggestions in the course of the next couple of days and let you the results. [smile]
tatewise
Megastar

Restore a Temporary File

Post by tatewise »

This is the error message associated with this problem.

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Restore a Temporary File

Post by AdrianBruce »

I had the same problem but ages ago, under XP. Probably with FH v4. In my case I decided that one of the online backup programs was using the data file at exactly the same time FH wanted it.

I stopped using the online back-up, the problem went away and my bill from my ISP went down as well.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Restore a Temporary File

Post by tatewise »

It might be that on-line backup is also causing my problem.
I am using Windows Live Mesh that is part of Windows Live Essentials and successor to Windows Live Sync.
Windows Live Mesh synchronises my folders/files with Windows Live SkyDrive on-line cloud storage.
So if the .ged file is 'locked' by Windows Live Mesh when FH wants to Save the database, then maybe that causes the error.
tatewise
Megastar

Restore a Temporary File

Post by tatewise »

This problem appears to be fixed in FH V5.
Sometimes a popup message says a Save operation cannot be completed, but on repeating the Save all is well.

Do not now get the error message shown above, and do not get files such as ~fhXXXX.tmp being created instead of GEDCOM file.