* Adding ToDo tab as per instructions

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
donone
Famous
Family Historian: V5

Adding ToDo tab as per instructions

Post by donone »

I am attempting to have a todo list attached to each individual but 'gathered' into a master list. I have found...
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... o_do_lists but get stuck. I have created the custom tab but in trying to add the custom attribute, the instructions do not seem to fit what I see in the 'customise property box' regarding changing the custom item name after selecting custom attribute.
Are these instructions for V3 and if so is there another guide for V4 please? Or am I simply dense?

ID:5927
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The instructions are for FH V4 because FH V3 has no Customise Tab option.

Create Custom Attribute
So you have used Tools > Work with Fact Sets and created a custom To Do Attribute Fact.

Create Custom Tab
It is not clear from your description exactly where in the Customise Tab steps you have got stuck.
Please use the precise names of the windows and names of the fields, etc that do not fit the instructions.

One crucial step that often trips up new users is UNTICK the Show most commonly-used items only option near the bottom of the Customize Property Box window.

Is the problem after clicking the <<Select button?
Where you have to expand the list by clicking [+] next to Attributes.
Then scroll down and click [+] next to To Do.
Then scroll down even further and click Note and finally OK.
This should place INDI._ATTR-TO_DO[1].NOTE2[1] in the Data Reference field.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
donone
Famous

Post by donone »

Thank you. I did untick the box for the list but I read the instruction select literally (because I did not scroll down the list) and selected because it is shown with the when it arrives in the right hand column, and then was looking for a way to edit it.
For some reason the was not visible at the top and so I did not get the new dialog open.
You did have the opportunity to answer the last comment in my post!
Dense. I am beginning to become nervous at posting.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

You're not dense - you just keep insisting on doing the complicated stuff that everyone finds difficult :)
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
donone
Famous

Post by donone »

There is one instruction that I could not follow, despite the rest of it working OK.
To exclude this Attribute from Reports, open the Report Options > Contents tab, under Individual Events/Attributes select Exclude List, click the Edit List button, and add the Attribute named To Do to the list.
The only Report Options I could find was on the main FH Menu and that was greyed as unavailable. I could see no Tab despite several ettempts.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Run your chosen report first and then with the report on the screen you have access to the report options.
Nick Walker

donone
Famous

Post by donone »

Thank you for that.
One final question...
Is it possible instead of the final option to add column to the Record Window
Create Custom Column
This technique adds one or more Columns to the Individual Records Window to identify To Do entries.
Open the Individual Records Window and use Lists > Configure Record Window Columns.
Scroll to the bottom of the Item list on the left and select then click > button and enter a Heading such as To Do.

Enter an Expression of =TextIf(GetLabelledText(%INDI._ATTR-TO_DO.NOTE2%,”Births:”)=””,””,”Births:”) and

to add a single column and simply have a tick entered if ANY of the conditions (Birth, Baptism etc.) exist? i.e. as a flag would do> Perhaps a flag could be set under the above conditions and then a flag column added as usual.[EDIT] automatically.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Column Expression could be something like:
=TextIf(Exists(%INDI._ATTR-TO_DO[1].NOTE2[1]%),'Y','')

This would only place Y in the Column if the To Do Note existed.
If the To Do Note is cleared on completing the research, then the Y signal will automatically vanish the next time FH is loaded.
This is because FH does not remove empty Notes immediately.

Alternatively, use =TextIf(Exists(%INDI._ATTR-TO_DO[1]%),'Y','').
Then when the research is complete, simply delete the To Do Fact from the Facts tab.
The Y signal is then updated immediately.

I would not recommend the use of Flags to signal the presence of a To Do entry.
To remember to add and remove a Flag every time a To Do entry changes is too unreliable.
donone
Famous

Post by donone »

Thank you very much for that advice, with which I shall experiment.
[EDIT] Works perfectly thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Now that you have your carefully crafted Custom Attribute, Custom Tab, Custom Queries, and Custom Column you will want to preserve them, so they can be quickly reinstated should you ever need to reinstall everything from scratch, after a PC failure, or on a new PC.

The first thing to do is create a Custom Query that allows your Customised Column to be reloaded.
Open the Individual Records Window and use Lists > Configure Record Window Columns as before.
Click the Save to Query button at the bottom, and enter a Query Name such as My Columns For Individuals then click Create.

Notice the Load from Query button bottom left, that reverses this process, and close the Customise Columns window.

FYI: This new Custom Query appears under View > Custom Queries > My Columns For Individuals, and when run will replicate your Columns in a Query.
This Custom Query can be used to reload your Custom Individual Columns.

Now all the Custom items above (and others) are captured in the C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily Historian folder.
So you need to ensure this folder is included in your backup regime, so it can be recovered in case of PC failure, or when switching to a new PC.
donone
Famous

Post by donone »

Thank you very much for that pre-emptive strike. I was about to ask about that, but was unsure whether it had already been answered in a roundabout way and so was cautious.

Everything works as advertised, and I thank 'the usual suspects' for their patience and guidance.

I hope that along with reloading in case of failure etc. that V5 will 'honour' all such changes. Better still build them in and have them turn-on-able in the options.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As and when you install FH V5 (replacing FH V4) it will use your current C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily Historian folder for these customisations, and should replicate them exactly as FH V4.

Also note that all the customisations discussed above apply to all Projects anywhere on the PC.

I am working on a Knowledge Base entry to clarify which features are stored where, and whether their scope is global or project specific.
donone
Famous

Post by donone »

Well it seems like good news all the way!
I am one of the people that upgrades anyway, not that there may be any need, but so as not to get left behind.
I upgraded from V3 to V4 & V4.1.3 and have to key in two sets of serials, I guess now it will be three.

I promise to read your article.
Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have added some Knowledge Base advice on Understanding the Scope of Features.

Comments are welcomed.
donone
Famous

Post by donone »

Incredibly useful, concise and clearly written.
This should save a lot of questions (providing of course it can be easily found). Perhaps it should be in a more important and prominent place, perhaps a 'sticky' on the forum.

One thought for consideration... I ALWAYS move My Documents to another drive so that if Windows crashes I still have all settings for every program that uses that place (most). Such a suggestion might feature in your write-up. It is a feature that is supported when viewing 'properties' for 'My Documents' (UserDocuments).
[cool]
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I also keep My Documents on a different partition/drive from Windows but there are some gotcha's.
It is really a topic of its own.

There is a body of advice that suggests that moving My Documents itself, or even worse trying to move the C:Users{username} profile folder, can have dire consequences. More so with Windows 7 than earlier.

What I do is create a new My Documents folder on another drive, and add it to the My Documents Windows 7 Library, making it the default.
This leaves all the Windows user account folders 'in situ' but gains the benefit of separating data files from Windows files.

Regarding application settings, I find that these are mostly saved in either the Registry or in folders such as C:Users{username}AppData or ...Favorites, rather than ...My Documents itself.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

No problems with moving My Documents to another drive and it is much easier to do this in Windows 7 (and Vista) than earlier versions. I've done this with tens of thousands of user accounts over the years. I move most of the other folders too (Favorites, Downloads, Desktop, Contacts, etc.)

But Mike's Libraries method works too.

Nick
Nick Walker

johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Like Nick, I have always moved 'My Documents' to another drive and found it quite easy. I have problems with getting W7 to accept the other folder as the default. How did you manage to do it.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I just go to the profile folder, e.g. C:UsersNick and then right-click on the folder to move (e.g. My Documents) and then choose the 'Location' tab and 'move'.

This isn't the way I do it with network users where I'd use Group Policy Folder Redirection (or in XP/Win2000 I'd use the registry).

Nick
Nick Walker

johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Thanks Nick
I'll try that when I get home to my W7 machine.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I should warn that moving these folders in this way is the kind of thing I do when the PC is newly set-up before I start running programs.

Most software record paths to files or folders (including FH and AS) in the registry or in settings files and these will referr to their old locations, e.g. C:usersfred.. so moving the my documents entirely to another location could cause issues, sometimes easily solved but might be more difficult. You will find that software will continue to try to write data to the previous location and how it handles that is down to the way the program has been written.
Nick Walker

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think that last point was the crux of the warning about moving these folders.

There are good reasons for moving My Documents to keep user data separate from Windows data, etc.
But donone originally said:
I ALWAYS move My Documents to another drive so that if Windows crashes I still have all settings for every program that uses that place (most).
I am not convinced that this strategy will protect program settings, because in my experience most program settings are stored elsewhere (Registry, C:ProgramData folder, C:Users profile folder).
The only ways I know of protecting such settings are (1) an Image Backup or (2) a separate record of the settings (MS Office Macro Recording, Screen-shots, Manual Log, etc).
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

As Mike says moving the location of these folders is unlikely to save all your program settings.

The reasons I move the various user folders to another drive are to make it easier to upgrade or reinstall windows and to give performance benefits. Also it means that if you need to increase your disk space you can simply add another drive and move your user folders to that drive (reallocating the same drive letter) without having to reinstall Windows or any of your software.

Anyway I think we've probably strayed far enough away from the original topic now :)
Nick Walker

donone
Famous

Post by donone »

I go to My Documents>properties>location tab and it has a button 'Move'. Having selected it it asks where to and then offers to move any existing files etc to the new location.
I have done this on all versions of Windows from XP thro 7.
The settings I refer to are usually those that a program permits to be personalised or set autotext or macros etc. which they usually store in My Documents. Those are the settings, colours etc. that are a pig to try to redo after a crash.
The registry settings are usually left as installed and so will be setup by an install and so no problem.
I have never had a problem but I certainly used to before moving the folder.
Moving other User folders like Appdata>roaming, local etc should not be moved.

If anybody is concerned, try ViceVersa Pro which will backup any (specified) folder/file that changes, on the fly. It is the only program of its sort that I have found will detect changes to photo exif data which does not resave the file and so doesn't normally trigger detection.
Everything that changes including FH data etc is automatically backed up with no intervention. I tried a Microsoft program of a similar nature (free and listed somewhere in Knowledge Base) but it would not detect photo exif etc. changes.
Sorry I have gone off track a bit.