* Switching to Projects from standalone Gedcoms

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
Dagwood
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Switching to Projects from standalone Gedcoms

Post by Dagwood »

For some of the background to this thread you should read 'Using Flash Drive' by Barbaramac in this section.
In that I stated 'For some reason I always have problems when trying to use Projects rather than Gedcom files. I only have the one tree and if a Project with relative paths is the answer then I'll try again.'
You will see I had thought the problem with synchronising multimedia when using DropBox arose because I have a netbook with XP and a PC with Windows 7. However it was suggested that using a Project rather than Gedcom files may be the answer and this new thread was suggested by Tatewise who has kindly offered to help with the problem.
Dagwood

ID:5618
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The first step is to use File > Project Window and click Tips for New & Upgrading Users at the bottom and digest the help.
In particular follow the link to Notes for Upgrading Users and try to understand the advice given there.

Also have a look at the Knowledge Base on FH How To's Beginners Guide - Getting Started - Understanding Projects at
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... g_projects

What you do next depends on how your current Multimedia files and folders are organised.
As the Help suggests, it is best if you can arrange all your Multimedia files into the same folder as your Gedcom (.ged) file, or sub-folders of that folder.
If this requires files or folders to be moved, then use Tools > Work with External File Links to fix the broken links.

You then use File > Project Window > New Project and Browse to your Gedcom (.ged) file.
Ensure Copy any linked multimedia files... is ticked before clicking Next> and completing the wizard.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

tatewise said:
..............What you do next depends on how your current Multimedia files and folders are organised.
As the Help suggests, it is best if you can arrange all your Multimedia files into the same folder as your Gedcom (.ged) file, or sub-folders of that folder.............
Thanks for that info Mike. I'm beginning to recall an earlier venture into the unknown that started here and that failed because of the different paths on the netbook and the PC while trying to use DropBox. Is there anything not covered in the Help sections you mention that needs to be covered because I'm using DropBox and two machines before I go too far?
Dagwood
ps I will,of course ensure there is a full back-up before I change anything.I should mention here that I have at present one folder with the Gedcom File, an empty Public folder, and a Multimedia folder with census,Certificates etc within it
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I have the following folder structure where {name} is the name of my project, and have no problems with Dropbox:

Code: Select all

…DropboxFamily Historian Projects{name}{name}.fh_data{name}.ged
…DropboxFamily Historian Projects{name}{name}.fh_datapublic
…DropboxFamily Historian Projects{name}{name}.fh_datamedia
My multimedia files are either in the media folder or (mostly) in various folders within the media folder.  All of the multimedia links in the GEDCOM file are relative paths.  The project folder can be copied anywhere and the relative paths mean that the links are always correct.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Dagwood,

Does FH treat the arrangement you describe as a Project i.e. does it appear in the File > Project Window list?

If the answer is Yes then:
How does Tools > Work with External File Links list your media file links?
If it is headed with Project Data Folder - Media and no disk drive letters are listed, then only relative file links are used.
If it is headed with a drive letter and several nested folders down to the FH Projects folder then absolute file links are used.
If both of the above exist then you have a mixture of relative and absolute links.

If you have mostly relative file links and only a few absolute file links, then all you need to do is change the absolute links to relative links.
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

Hi Mike, I've been reading the Help and other notes you suggested and reached the point where I ensured my gedcom file and multimedia were in the one folder. In my case it is called Family Tree@2011. On creating the project and subsequently remapping the multimedia to the point where I had almost all the x's eliminated I found I had a duplicated folder within the Family Tree@2011 original folder. It had a multimedia file but had only copied the census and certificates and no pictures or other documents. It had also created a seperate Project file but whereas the original Gedcom was 561Kb and the multimedia file approx1Gb the new Project file is 1Kb and the multimedia 46MB.
In answer to your question of this morning Yes on the PC it lists it as a project but not on the netbook however on both it appears in the Project window as the Current Project!
I've just been back to the Work with External File links and found the crosses had returned so now having remapped them to the Project file I find I have the situation you describe at the end of your post ie most files are relative and I guess that leaves the remainder as absolute. Here I have to admit to not being able see how you change them and prior to your post, and Peter's, had never come across these two expressions relating to multimedia. I obviously need some help understanding the difference and how one changes them.
There is another question arising which is why the remaining multimedia,eg photos etc, did not get absorbed into the project when I created it? I imagine that when it is in the project some of the x's I have on them will be eliminated ie they'll become relative? In the meantime do I remap to where they are now or copy them into the project multimedia folder?
At the moment I feel as if I'm swimming in the dark a bit.
Dagwood[confused]
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK - What is the difference between relative and absolute file links?

Relative File Links
These rely on the Media folder that is within the FH Project folder hierarchy.
FH knows where this Media folder is on your PC.
e.g. C:UsersMikeDocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsExampleExample.fh_dataMedia
In Multimedia Records the Linked File path starts at Media... and adds the folders and filename of the image file within the Media folder.
e.g. MediaCensusIMG_0075.jpg
Thus, all Multimedia Record file links are relative to the Media folder.
However, the full path in the above example would be:
C:UsersMikeDocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsExampleExample.fh_dataMediaCensusIMG_0075.jpg
This allows the whole Project structure to be moved, even to another PC, and all the image file links in the GEDCOM (.ged) file Multimedia Records will still be correct.

Absolute File Links
In Multimedia Records the Linked File path starts at C:... and specifies the entire path to the image file.
e.g. C:UsersMikeDocumentsFamily HistoryExampleCensusIMG_0075.jpg
If the Project is moved to another PC, perhaps via Dropbox, then these image file links will probably be incorrect.
e.g. On XP with username Jim the link should become:
C:Documents and SettingsJimMy DocumentsFamily HistoryExampleCensusIMG_0075.jpg

To change from an absolute to a relative file link perform the following steps:
If necessary, move the image file into the Media folder within the Project.
Change each Multimedia Record that links to this file so its Linked File field starts with Media....
If you browse to the file via the [...] button, this will happen automatically.
Check the result using Tools > Work with External File Links.
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

Thanks for that info Mike, things are becoming much clearer now. I guess from what you say the newly created multimedia folder contains whatever I now decide to add to it eg the missing photos? In which case is it ok for me to delete ( or probably move) the original folders out of the family Tree 2011 folder? At the moment I'm bothered by the fact I have the new multimedia folder,new project file, old multimedia data folder and original gedcom file all in the one place. I am also concerned that the path to the new data file seems very long as follows:

C:UsersJimDocumentsMy DropboxFAMILY TREE @ 2011Family Tree @ 2011Family Tree @ 2011.fh_dataMediaFamily Tree @ 2011.fh_dataMultimediaCensus1841

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again for the trouble you are taking
Dagwood
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That path certainly looks over complex - so lets analyse it.

I will assume that your FH Projects folder is: C:UsersJimDocumentsMy DropboxFAMILY TREE @ 2011
It is shown in File > Project Window against Location: as: My DocumentsMy DropboxFAMILY TREE @ 2011
It may be a good plan to rename it later to something like: My DocumentsMy DropboxFH Projects

While in File > Project Window it may be useful to use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
This will create a minimal Project structure for the Family Historian Sample Project as a model of what your Project should be like.
It can easily be deleted later using More Tasks > Delete Project.

Your Project folder Family Tree @ 2011 should contain:
Family Tree @ 2011.fh_data folder for the GEDCOM data.
Public folder for exported items and Family Tree CD/Website files.
Family Tree @ 2011.fh_proj file needed by FH to confirm it is a Project structure.

Your FH data folder Family Tree @ 2011.fh_data should contain:
Charts (optional) folder for any saved FH Chart files.
Media folder for Multimedia image files (see below).
Settings (optional) folder for Family Tree CD/Website settings.
Family Tree @ 2011.ged GEDCOM file.

Your Family Tree @ 2011.fh_dataMultimedia folders are unusual.
If they are empty of Multimedia image files and other folders you have not mentioned, then I would recommend removing them at some point.
You would then have just ...MediaCensus1841
Note that you will need to use Tools > Work with External File Links to Re-Map this path.

It would be useful if you could attach an image of your Tools > Work with External File Links window showing the entire folder structure.
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

A big improvement now! I've taken your advice Mike and renamed the project to FH Project ( much less confusing) and where census and photos were missing have ensured copies are now in the project folder. I then opened up the multimedia window and could see all the folder locations and especially those that were incorrect. I then completed the copying of missing photos etc and finally remapped them to the project file. It all looks so much neater now.
Next step is to go through your comments re Sample Project and Chart folders etc and tidy up the whole thing.
I haven't looked at it from the netbook though and that has always been where I've had a mismatch.
Back tomorrow with an update
Thanks Mike
Dagwood
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

I said I'd get back and report on how things have gone. In his last post in this thread Tatewise asked if I could attach an image of my Tools > Work with External File Links window showing the entire folder structure. This I did by sending him an e-mail and that showed that a considerable number of images etc were absolute and not in the newly created projects folder. I've now ensured almost all images are in the project folder and then worked through them remapping the paths.
So where am I now? Previously, because I was opening a gedcom file using DropBox, although the records matched up the media attached to them did not. Now for the first time when I open the project on either the netbook or my PC the projects are not only identical but the multimedia appears correctly against each record.
I have a few persistent images that do not seem to want to remap but when they are sorted out I will have just the one file path based on the project folder.
I've learnt the value of using a project and the importance of having relative file links and can see there are additional benefits like a Chart file that can be used within the project.
I don't think I would have attempted this without the guidance and advice of Tatewise so my thanks go to him.
Dagwood
BigAl
Family Historian: None

Post by BigAl »

I regret that I don't understand much of the content of this blog.
I have been using FH since inception and am currently using v4.1.3.  However I have not created any Projects as I hold 8 family trees, one for each of my grandparents and one for each of my wife's grandparents.  When I want a single tree (for uploading to Genes Re-united) then I merge the trees into a single tree prior to the upload.  When I am doing research on one of the trees I amend the tree to incorporate the new information.  When I am contacted by other researchers I am able to send the relevant family tree (or part of it) to the researcher with ease.  Is it worthwhile creating a Project or Projects for each tree or should I continue to use the FH software in a way that I currently find to be both simple & convenient.  Is there any advantage in creating Projects instead of working as I currently do?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you are happy working the way you are, there is no compelling reason to change.
If you did switch to using Projects, you would create one Project for each tree, if you want to keep them separate.
Here are a few points you may like to consider.
  • Merging the trees into one Project may become easier to manage. Especially, if you upgrade to FH V5, because the Export GEDCOM to produce sub-trees is much improved.
  • If you link your trees to Multimedia files, then copying a Standalone GEDCOM and all its linked files is fraught with pitfalls. A correctly structured Project with all Multimedia files in the Project's Media folder, can be Copied, even to a different PC with a different Account name, without needing to correct all the Multimedia file paths.
  • Some FH features are only available within a Project structure. These include FH Charts, Create Family Tree CD/DVD/Website, and some FH V5 Plugins.