* Captions in reports

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
Stratton52
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Captions in reports

Post by Stratton52 »

Can some clever person spot what I am doing wrong?

When I create a report which contains pictures I can’t get the captions to show. I have checked that each picture has its title entered correctly in the Multimedia Window. In Report Options I have selected ‘show captions with pictures’ and ‘inc picture title’. The captions do not appear.

I am now using v5, but I had the same difficulty when using v4. Clearly I am doing something wrong!

ID:6272
tatewise
Megastar

Captions in reports

Post by tatewise »

In the Edit Media Item window there are several fields:
Title:
Date:
Picture Note:
and an unidentified caption Note box at the bottom.

If in this window you tick Use Note as Caption then the adjacent Note box text will be used, as long as Diagram > Options > Pictures > Show Captions with Pictures is ticked.

Otherwise, the Caption will be composed from:
Name of Individual to whom Picture is linked.
Year from Date: field above, if Inc. Year of Picture is ticked.
Age of Individual, if Inc. Individual's Age at Picture Date is ticked.
Title from Title: field above, if Inc. Picture Title is ticked, but only if a Whole Picture (NOT a Link to Face Frame), or If Showing Whole Picture Only is NOT ticked.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Stratton52
Gold

Captions in reports

Post by Stratton52 »

Thanks for that.  I have now opened a different project and realised everything behaves exactly as you describe - and as I expected.

Having gone back to the project with which I was having problems, the captions still won't show - whichever options I select.  However, the photographs in this project are not individuals.  They are of locations, churches, war medals etc.  I don't know why this should make a difference, but it evidently does.

Jean
Stratton52
Gold

Captions in reports

Post by Stratton52 »

I have cracked it.  I was using the 'picture note' box at the top rather than the 'unidentified note' box at the bottom.

Many thanks.  

Jean