* Multimedia

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

I have been following Jane's excellent youtube video on 'how to enter a birth certificate as a source' and noticed that she made a new folder for certificates in the project window rather than the default one.

I think it would be a good idea for me to do this,as I have a lot of sources, trouble is, mine are just lumped together, my question is, how do I rearrange the certificates into separate folders without losing the link.

Thanks
Jane[smile]

ID:6886
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Multimedia

Post by Jane »

I can't think of a very quick way without writing a plugin and as you have V4 it won't work for you.

A longer way is simply to go into the folder and rearrange all the files as you want them and then use the Tools>Wort With External File links tell FH where you moved the files to.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
janefrances
Famous

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

I made a new folder and called it Birth Certificates in the media file of family historian projects but it doesn't show up in the work with external file links. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Jane
LornaCraig
Megastar

Multimedia

Post by LornaCraig »

First move one of your birth cert images to the new folder (if you haven't already). Then open Work with External File Links. The image(s) you have moved will have a cross beside it/them. Now select one of those images from the list and click on 'Re-map' on the right, then select 'Re-map within project data folder'. You will be asked to select the target folder, and you should find that the new folder is listed.

(I am using v5 but I think the wording is the same in v4)

I hope this helps.
Lorna
janefrances
Famous

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

Tried this Lorna, however my 'remap within project folder' is greyed out.
Jane
Site Admin

Multimedia

Post by Jane »

> however my 'remap within project folder' is greyed out.

That normally means you don't have a Project. With your file open does the top of the window say Family Historian Project?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
janefrances
Famous

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

At the top of my screen is Family Historian Gedcom-Janes Family Tree.ged-(Focus Window)

I have the feeling that this is not good news!
[confused]
Jane
Site Admin

Multimedia

Post by Jane »

It simply means for some reason you have not got a Project for your gedcom.

Did you think you should have one?
Jane
janefrances
Famous

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

Yes I thought I had. I would like to be using projects as it keeps all the media/sources together.
What should I be doing to put this right?
Thanks
Jane
Site Admin

Multimedia

Post by Jane »

The simplest way is to create a project from your gedcom.

If you look at the understanding projects video I think that shows you how to create a project from a gedcom.

If you have problems just ask.
Jane
janefrances
Famous

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

Thanks for your help. I have managed to sort out my  files and now they are showing as a Project file.

My folder for Birth Certificates is now showing up in the 'work with external file links' under projects. I clicked on the image I wanted moved, selected re-map and then selected 're-map within project folder' and selected my target folder but the link is still crossed out.[confused]
Jane
Site Admin

Multimedia

Post by Jane »

Did you actually move the file to that folder in Windows first?

I just did a quick video which might make it clearer.

http://youtu.be/ks6XrXMhnKs
Jane
janefrances
Famous

Multimedia

Post by janefrances »

No I didn't move them in the windows file first - this is where I was going wrong Jane. Thanks for the video link. All works fine. Thank you [smile]