* family historian for android 3

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
frank_spooner
Gold
Family Historian: V5

family historian for android 3

Post by frank_spooner »

Hi
I am looking to downsize my machine to a tablet - I nolonger need the computing power I once needed. The machine I am getting has an android 3.0 operating system. I have loved using Family Historian and have recommended it to many others but now I need some help. When will you be releasing a version for the android operating system. The tablet is an ideal machine to carry with me as I travel to places associated with my family tree and I don't really want to enter data twice - once onto the tablet and then have to transcribe onto my large old Windows machine which runs family historian. Help!

http://www.fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldispl ... lwlref=478

ID:5127
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

It's important to understand, that moving programs to other programs to other operating systems is not simple. If you are going to a table you will need to use a program designed to run on it, there are a few in the Android store currently which support the import and export of Gedcom files. I use Family Bee, but that only allows notes to be added rather than maintaining the gedcom data directly.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Beardshaw
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by Beardshaw »

Why not get a modern laptop. They can be incredibly compact and have nearly all the functions of a full size desktop PC.
Tablets are all very well but they should be seen as an accessory and not a replacement for proper computers. Using a laptop and making use of a facility such as Dropbox to sync files with another computer is a brillaint solution.
Tony Beardshaw
www.my-history.co.uk & www.twrcomputing.co.uk

My History has been supporting new users of Family Historian since November 2003. We have experience of many of the questions that occur when starting out with this software.