* Ages

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
peterjward
Family Historian: V6.2

Ages

Post by peterjward »

Would it be possible to have ages in weeks in addition to days, months and years - specifically for young children in censuses (or deaths/burials)

ID:6847
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ages

Post by tatewise »

I believe the main problem is that the GEDCOM specification only supports combinations of Years, Months, and Days.

So although it would be feasible to allow Age to be entered in Weeks, it would have to be saved in the GEDCOM in Days (or use a non-standard GEDCOM format).
On reloading the GEDCOM, it would have to assume that any Days value divisible by 7, should be displayed as Weeks.

A side effect is that if someone enters the Age as 28 Days (say), then it would always be displayed as 4 Weeks.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Ages

Post by LornaCraig »

This has been raised before. I think the problem is that FH complies with the Gedcom standard, and the Gedcom specification does not allow for age in weeks. Converting weeks to days might give a false sense of accuracy, as for example '6 weeks' is likely to be approximate rather than exactly 42 days. The best solution is probably to enter the age as 'under n months' and add a note to record exactly what was written in the parish register or census etc.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ages

Post by tatewise »

Wish List item Ref 229 Allow Fact Age in Weeks already existed for this, but was closed, so I have opened it to preserve the original Votes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry