* Function keys capability - to Record Window

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Hanning
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Function keys capability - to Record Window

Post by Hanning »

I would like to be able to use just one key to access sections of the Record Windows. eg
F2 takes you to the Record Window | Individuals and places the cursor in the Last Name search box.
F3 to Record Window | Notes | Note Starting
F4 to Record Window | Sources | Title
and so on.
This would be so much easier than Alt V R I then Ctrl + D or similar, or taking hands of the keyboard to use the mouse. Although there are external applications available to assign keyboard shortcuts, they are not simple to use, and not suitable for all users.

Marlene

BTW: Derived from posting Records List - Places & Keyboard Shortcuts (13846).
Marlene
Researching Snell and Harris in Devon, Rooks in Cambridgeshire, Barton & Parker in Kent, Harley in Fife
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Function keys capability - to Record Window

Post by tatewise »

Marlene, unfortunately the F2 - F9 keys you suggest are already in use within FH.
See its Help > Family Historian Help > Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts page.

What if in the FHUG Downloads we provided an AutoHotkey script with shortcuts?
Then you simply install AutoHotkey, download the script to your Documents folder, and next time you login, those shortcuts will be automatically available within FH.

The FHUG Downloads and of couse the Forums would provide advice on how to customise the AutoHotkey script for whatever shortcuts anybody wanted.

See fhugdownloads:contents:utility_autohotkey|> Utility ~ AutoHotkey that offers an Example Script to open each Records Window tab with the search filter selected by using the Windows Logo key plus the initial letter of each tab.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Hanning
Diamond

Post by Hanning »

Hi Mike
That might be very useful but in the meantime, the script already provided will do it for me. However, I can see its loaded but any invocation of Win + a key goes to the default Windows settings eg Win + I goes to Windows Settings. I can't add a comment to Knowledge Base > Utility ~ AutoHotkey to ask for help - can you point my in the right direction please? My script is sitting in C:\Documents and FH is installed in C:\Program Files( x86). The data sits in I:\Family Historian.

Marlene
Marlene
Researching Snell and Harris in Devon, Rooks in Cambridgeshire, Barton & Parker in Kent, Harley in Fife
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Marlene, let's just double-check that AutoHotkey is setup correctly.
Right-click on the green H AutoHotkey icon in the Notification area bottom right and choose Edit This Script.
That should list the AutoHotkey.ahk downloaded script file in the Notepad editor as follows:

Code: Select all

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

; Windows key shortcuts for Family Historian
#IfWinActive Family Historian
#I::Send !VRI^D	; Win+I opens Records Window Individuals tab Last Name filter
#F::Send !VRF^D	; Win+F opens Records Window Families tab Last Name filter
#N::Send !VRN^D	; Win+N opens Records Window Notes tab Note Starting filter
#S::Send !VRS^D	; Win+S opens Records Window Sources tab Title/Short Title filter
#R::Send !VRR^D	; Win+R opens Records Window Repositories tab Name filter
#M::Send !VRM^D	; Win+M opens Records Window Media tab Title filter
#P::Send !VRP^D	; Win+P opens Records Window Places tab Place Name filter
#IfWinActive
Notice how the ::Send ! lines are conditioned by #IfWinActive Family Historian.
Use File > Exit to close Notepad.

So, the AutoHotkey script Send commands are only effective while Family Historian is the active window.
If Family Historian is NOT running and active, then the script is inhibited.

Open Family Historian as normal and while holding down the Windows Logo key press a Records Window tab initial letter (I,F,N,S,R,M,P).
That should open the chosen Records Window tab with the search filter selected.
Does that work OK or not?

To edit the Knowledge Base you must be approved by Jane the Site Administrator.
See home|> Knowledge Base Home and follow link to info:signing_up|> Signing Up For Editing.
Anyway, leaving User Comments are unlikely to be spotted for some time, so better to post in the Forums.
Hanning
Diamond

Post by Hanning »

Mike
All is as you describe but it still goes to the default Windows 10 dialogs. Looking online, many have solved the problem by setting the exe to run as administrator - I have done this, restarted my computer but to no avail. UAC is disabled.
Marlene
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is odd.
I hope you realise that FH must be the ACTIVE in focus window, not just running with another program in focus.

So you have set all the C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey***.exe files with Properties > Compatibility > Run this progarm as an administrator.
You could also try Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7 because thereafter the UAC changed.

Another trick that may work is to uninstall AutoHotkey and then set the above Compatibility options on the AutoHotkey112400_Install.exe beforte re-installing and re-applying those Compatbility options on the .exe files.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

In the past I have used Autoit and I recall having problems with WinTitle. I note that the Family Historian windows title includes the project name so is not exactly Family Historian. I quick look at the AutoHotKey website indicates that it may be necessary to set the match mode so that part of a title is recognised. In this case adding the line

SetTitleMatchMode, 2

prior to the #IfWinActive Family Historian may do the trick. Also, I think there should be a comma after #IfWinActive. Thus

#IfWinActive, Family Historian

Unfortunately I am not in a position to test whether this helps.

Davd
Hanning
Diamond

Post by Hanning »

I'll have a go and keep you posted of the results. Thank you both.
Marlene
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Well spotted David, when I tested the script I was always using the Family Historian Sample Project whose Window Title satisfies the criteria. Sorry!!!

The commas are not strictly required, and many of their own examples omit them.

I have updated the FHUG Downloads script file.
Hanning
Diamond

Post by Hanning »

Working!
Marlene
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about that Marlene. :oops:
My excuse is that it is a while since I worked with AutoHotkey and I overlooked that SetTitleMatchMode condition.
You should be able to undo all those AutoHotkey > Properties > Compatibility settings now.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Moved to the Closed Wish List Requests forum as it can be satisfied with AutoHotKey.