* Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes

Post by jimlad68 »

The background:

I use a monospace (fixed-width) font for reports where I need text lined up in columns (e.g. census). I know there are numerous posts as to how to do this and even a section in the KB how_to:tabulate_multiline_text_in_records_and_reports|> Tabulate Multiline Text in Records and Reports with various options but for the present in FH I find the only sure way to line up text is with a monospace font (Consolas seems best to me) even though that still creates a knock on problem.

The problem:

When looking at text in the Property Box, it uses the same font for everything but Titles. For ease of reading and space considerations the default Tahoma is great, but if you have text aligned for columns for things like Facts Note and Text From Source, the columns are all over the place with Tahoma.

1. If the Property Box font is changed to a monospace font like Consolas, the Facts Note Text From Source etc lines up correctly, but, as this is usually set up with limited width to facilitate viewing the rest of the FH screen the columns wrap around again making it difficult to follow. Also the rest of the text (e.g. under the Date|Fact|Age columns) uses more space than needed and is not as easy to read.

2. If the Text box is double clicked, it gives a more useful expandable edit box, however this does not pick up the new font from the options setting, hence alignment is again all over the place.

So the suggestions are:

1. Allow the Property Box "Text+Note+Text From Source" font to be changed independently of the general text for items like headings and Date|Fact|Age columns.

2. Allow the Property Box "POP OUT expandable boxes" font to be changed independently of the general text for items like Date|Fact|Age columns.
OR to at least use the font assigned in the Property Box options.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT b

Post by tatewise »

Would the existing "Word-processing facilities for notes and text from source" Wish List Ref 20 satisfy your needs if at least tabbed columns and bold/italic/underline formats were supported?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

tatewise wrote:Would the existing "Word-processing facilities for notes and text from source" Wish List Ref 20 satisfy your needs if at least tabbed columns and bold/italic/underline formats were supported?
1. I don't think so as I cannot see a reference to Fonts (although it might be implied) and I think it is aimed at reports/ output "after the work in the property box". My suggestion here specifically relates to ease of working within the FH Property box. The issue of the flexibility of fonts/data in reports is a whole other issue, probably far more important.

2. I am concerned how my data looks both within and outside of FH, and like so many things IT, as has been mentioned many times in the forum, functionality usage varies between products, and often gets lost, especially when new "improved" platforms are implemented, and especially recently for the dumbing down for mobile devices. So, up to now, although far from perfect, monospaced fonts seem the most dependable for tabulated data, especially as I have recently discovered "Consolas" (where has it been all my life, only issued in 2005!) which is much more pleasing and also very cross platform now, and for those concerned with telling the difference between O and 0 I and l and 1 etc it is very clear.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't percieve any Report only bias in the Wish List item. From Forum discussions I would expect the Word-processing features to apply to all on-screen displays, (perhaps in much the same way as FHUG Forum and KB pages are edited and displayed). This could include font changes, which is already supported in Diagram Text Schemes.

My perception is that tabbed columns are superior to fixed width fonts, for at least two reasons.
1. Variable width fonts fit more text into the same space (as you mention yourself).
2. Tab separated columns can be processed by Functions and Plugins much more easily.

The tab stops would be set in much the same way as in Word-processing and in FH Report Options.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mike,

Regarding "columns", this is very much personal preference, in my case from years of empirical experience, and I feel there is no best solution. Re "Tab separated columns", even when using monospace type, I usually use a separator of some sort (usually , or | ) which as you say can then be processed further within/out of FH. As for tabs, I have always found them "messy" requiring much extra manipulation. The ideal would be tables, but then that is no more consistent across products than tabs.

So, back to the suggestion:

re existing wish list item Word-processing facilities for note and source text (italics, bold, tables, etc) at http://www.fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldispl ... wlwlref=20. I did look through this but as the description says "...... items have been merged into this one. This may have been a mistake as Nick notes....." and I tend to agree. As 20 now stands I feel it is generally geared to a full blown text formatting which would be a major update, probably long overdue. It would be interesting to know if Calico Pie has plans in this direction, and what would be the implications to the Gedcom file.

I feel that my suggestion, or at least the "POP OUT expandable boxes" font, would be fairly easy to implement on its own, AND, if not specifically mentioned in a general text formatting update of FH, could be easily forgotten. Hence I feel worth putting forward to the wish list on its own.

I might be a bit quieter for a few weeks, off to sunny Morecambe now to pick up the mother-in-law (a nice hill run on the way I hope), what better present for your wife for your wedding anniversary! then the Americans arrive!!!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, point taken.

Wish List item Ref 537 Discrete fonts for long-text fields like Notes has been created.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Is this now satisfied in V7?