* Transfer of data

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
Tomango
Family Historian: None

Transfer of data

Post by Tomango »

I am trying to transfer ft data to my laptop via CD. Most of the data is transferrable but Pictures and Flags do not seem to transfer with the other data. Any help as to how I can achieve full transfer please.

ID:2596
JonAxtell
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Transfer of data

Post by JonAxtell »

Have you got exactly the same directory structure on your PC and laptop including the same drive letter? If not, check out the menu option Tools->Work eith External File Links. This will make FH update it's internal pointers as to where the multimedia files are.

Your icons are kept in the directory 'C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico PieFamily HistorianIcons'. Make sure you copy the contents of this directory to your latop for the icons to be visible. If you can't navigate to the directory, you might have to turn on hidden files/directories which is a safety feature of Windows. FH uses this directory rather than the user's own working directory making it difficult for users to backup their files. To make the folders visible in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) select Tools->Folder Options then the View tab. Make sure that 'Hidden files and folders' is set to 'show'. Alternatively copy the directory name from this message and paste it into Windows Explorer's Address bar.

Whilst copying your icons, you might want to copy other files as well. Look in the other directories under Family Historian such as Text Schemes, Reports, Queries, etc. Copy the Custom directories to your laptop as well. Or more simply copy the whole directory structure of 'Family Historian' including all subfolders.

For more detail check out the FAQ section in the Knowledge Base - http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... e_settings

HTH