* Odd behaviour in Multimedia Records window

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
GladToBeGrey
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Odd behaviour in Multimedia Records window

Post by GladToBeGrey »

Whilst carrying out some extensive houskeeping on my gedcom, I've hit this odd behaviour which looks like a bug to me.

I had a Multimedia record which pointed to a .pdf file. When I expanded the record and clicked on the [...] button to open up the 'Select File' dialogue window, instead of opening up the correct folder, it opened up my default folder for Backups!

No other Multimedia records I tried displayed this behaviour. I double and triple checked the file name and path, everything was correct in the MM record.

Wondering if it was related to the file being an unsupported type (pdf), I tried renaming the file, and changing the file type in the MM record, to jpg, and for good measure saved and reopened the Gedcom; same result.

I then tried changing the folder name (removing spaces) just in case; same result.

I then added a second jpg file, changed the link to point to that file, and suddently it all worked as expected.

I then deleted the additional file, reset the MM record back to the pdf file, and now it behaves correctly!

What is, or rather was, going on, then ? All the editing above was done from FH. [[confused]

ID:2632
GladToBeGrey
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Post by GladToBeGrey »

Further information: I've just tried to maintain a second pdf file MM record in the Multimedia Records window, and this is showing similar, but not identical, behaviour. This is openeing the folder for the aforementioned pdf file, rather than the correct folder for the file path in the link! [tongue]
JonAxtell
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Post by JonAxtell »

Haven't quite followed your problem through, but I have come across a problem with directories not being the right ones sometimes.

I've set a startup folder and a backup folder to be different folders. However the current working directory at any point in time depends on what the last action was. In other words, if I've done a backup and then try to add a new image to my database, the working directory is the backup folder and not the last directory I was in.
davidb
Gold
Family Historian: None

Post by davidb »

I have just one PDF file in my multimedia collection, so I tried to replicate the problem described by gladtobegrey. But there was no problem - the 'Select file' dialog box opened as I expected it to at the folder that contained the PDF file in question. I don't know whether it makes a difference to the behaviour, but that same folder also contains a number of  *.tif image files.