* Civil Partnership

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
sgauntlett
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Civil Partnership

Post by sgauntlett »

I want to add a same sex (Male) civil partnership to my tree. I've added a 'Spouse' and 'Marriage' to the record but when looking at the Spouse's record it then has an error (the same individual) as the Spouse. Is this a bug or have I created the link in the wrong way? Everything is fine with different sex marriages.
Anyone else got Civil Partnerships in their tree?
Thanks,
Simon

ID:3002
Jane
Site Admin

Civil Partnership

Post by Jane »

These are not supported at the moment, there is a wish list item for them, so I would recommend voting for it.

The best thing to do at the moment is to use the Associated person field to record the relationship.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
sgauntlett
Platinum

Civil Partnership

Post by sgauntlett »

Thanks for letting me know Jane. Support seems almost there as it has let me 'Marry' two male individuals so I hope it will not take too much to add this feature.
I will go to the wish list.
Cheers,
S
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Civil Partnership

Post by ChrisBowyer »

The issue here is whether you interpret the Gedcom standard as prohibiting single-sex marriages. There are two schools of thought it seems, and I'm not an expert, but bear in mind the standard is defined by the LDS Church, so it's more an emotional than a technical problem. My feeling is that FH will eventually have to break the standard to support this functionality, but I can understand Simon Orde's reluctance to do that.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Civil Partnership

Post by gerrynuk »

As I couldn't find anthying in the Wish List covering the various versions of Gedcom, I have added one to allow the option to use more recent versions than 5.5, with a option to save the file in version 5.5 for compatability.

Gerry
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Civil Partnership

Post by ChrisBowyer »

You might also vote for this...

Reference 90
Title Support for Single Sex / Gender Relationships
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Civil Partnership

Post by gerrynuk »

Chris,

I will add my vote but I think more recent versions of the Gedcom standard (than 5.5) do allow for Civil Partnership/Same-Sex Unions etc.

Gerry
Jane
Site Admin

Civil Partnership

Post by Jane »

It's probably possible using custom extensions, today it's not been a highly voted item though.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."