* Error on Installation

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
gemius
Family Historian: None

Error on Installation

Post by gemius »

I recently purchased Version 3 of Family Historian. I run Vista Home Premium and whenever I try to launch FH I get the message 'Error in installation, please re install' but
re Installing just results in the same message.
I've found a work around by right clicking and selecting 'Run as Administrator' FH then opens up and runs OK.
Has anyone any knowledge of this error message? I suspect it may be something to do with User Accounts in Vista but I would like to resolve it as it's a pain having to enter my password everytime I open FH

ID:2648
JonAxtell
Superstar

Error on Installation

Post by JonAxtell »

Have you looked in the Knowledge Base? This article has details about installing under Vista - http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... ta&s=vista
gemius

Error on Installation

Post by gemius »

Thank you John but I'm no nearer to solving the problem. I shall keep my eye on the web for any references to this error message but for now I shall have to continue to get over it.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Error on Installation

Post by NickWalker »

Did you try the link off the page which was referred to by John. I've tried to clarify the instructions to see if it solves the problem:

1) Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel and clicking System.

2) Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3) Under Performance, click Settings.

4) Click the Data Execution Prevention tab

5) If 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select' is selected then click Add.

6) In the dialogue window that appears browse to the C:Program FilesFamily HistorianProgram folder and select FH.exe and then click Open.

7) Click OK to save this change and then OK on the other dialogue windows that were open.

Now see if Faily Historian works. If it doesn't then let us know as someone may be able to suggest other options.

Regards

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
timc

Error on Installation

Post by timc »

I am getting the same error message on upgrade installation.
I am running Win XP and have added FH to DEP exclusion in performance settings but still getting initialisation failure

Tim
Jane
Site Admin

Error on Installation

Post by Jane »

Is that the V2 > V3 upgrade or the V3.0 > V3.1 ?

If its the latter try downloading the install again, if its the former, check for any over aggressive firewall/Spyware software, which could be causing the problem
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
timc

Error on Installation

Post by timc »

Its the v2>v3 upgrade off a CD. The program seems to have installed but will not run. Do I need to uninstall and then install v2 and v3 again ?

Tim
Jane
Site Admin

Error on Installation

Post by Jane »

Try the upgrade install again, do you have ink saver installed? Older versions of ink saver cause all sorts of problems.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
timc

Error on Installation

Post by timc »

Cannot reinstall upgrade because it recognises that FM3 is already installed.
Can't see ink saver installed in FM file
Tim
Jane
Site Admin

Error on Installation

Post by Jane »

No ink saver is an unrelated program, I would try uninstalling and giving it another go. If you still have a problem, might be worth contacting Calico Pie on support@family-historian.co.uk
Jane
jfsmith
Silver

Error on Installation

Post by jfsmith »

Try this -
Right click Family Historian Icon, then click Properties - Shortcut - Advanced.
Tick the box 'run as administrator'
This allows the program to ALWAYS run in administrator mode.
Hope this helps

JFSmith
markmason7
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Error on Installation

Post by markmason7 »

jfsmith said:
Try this -
Right click Family Historian Icon, then click Properties - Shortcut - Advanced.
Tick the box 'run as administrator'
This allows the program to ALWAYS run in administrator mode.
Hope this helps

JFSmith
I had to do this when installing on Vista home premium - worked a treat.
johnvphillips
Family Historian: V5

Error on Installation

Post by johnvphillips »

Hi I have been reading the solutions to problems running version 3 on VISTA... my problem is deeper... I cann't instal my upgrade disc as it just comes up with ***error initialising setup*** my version 2.1.8 works after using the instal file on this site... is there one for my upgrade???? after 1126 days of using FH I am now stumped by getting a new computer.... please HELP! rgrds John
Jane
Site Admin

Error on Installation

Post by Jane »

Error initialising setup seems strange, might be worth contacting support at family-historian.co.uk, see if they have any suggestions.
Jane
charybdis
Silver

Error on Installation

Post by charybdis »

Thank you everyone, especially gemius for asking. I received my FH today and installed V3 perfectly and the icon came on the desktop. Then I put in the V3.1.2 upgrade and it went fine, except that when it finished the icon disappeared. I searched for the programmeand found it, but it would not load saying something was missing. I came here and after reading, re-installed my upgrade disc and it has appeared (bit like a pantomime LOL) I only hope it is all fine now as I was worried about asking just a basic question. [smile]