* Displaying Flags

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
David_Lewis
Famous
Family Historian: V5

Displaying Flags

Post by David_Lewis »

I use a number of flags to denote if someone is Illigitimate, deceased etc. But I seem to have lost them displaying in the trees. Cant see how to get them back . can someone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

ID:6315
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Displaying Flags

Post by tatewise »

To be pedantic you are talking about two different things - namely Record Flags and Diagram Icons.

Record Flags are optionally added to Individual Records by selecting them and using Edit > Record Flags.
Other options are also possible e.g. via the All tab of the Property Box where you can see if any Flags have been set.

Diagram Icons are optionally added to Diagram Boxes.
One of the conditions for adding an Icon can be if a Flag exists.
An Icon will only display if its Icon Image File still exists.

So, is it Flags that are the problem, or is it Diagram Box Icon Conditions, or missing Icon Image Files?

Have you moved your FH data from one PC to another, or made any other significant changes?

See also Knowledge Base entry on Using Flags and Icons and Flags and Icons Tutorial.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David_Lewis
Famous

Displaying Flags

Post by David_Lewis »

Ok lets try and be a bit more specific.

I have created a huge tree of all the descendents of The electress Sophia. Now her descendents contain a number of people who are reigning monarchs and pretenders of thrones throughout europe. There are also number of descendents who are Illigitimate or married to roman catholics or roman catholics themselves.

To help keep track of these visually I created a number of Flags and also Icons to go with them. quite literally anyone who was king or queen of the UK had a union Flag . anyone who was king of Norway a norwegian flag etc etc.

These Icons used to appear under each persons box in a diagram but the do not now.

how do I get them back?
Jane
Site Admin

Displaying Flags

Post by Jane »

I suspect you have upgraded or moved to a new computer, with out making a safe copy of the default diagram settings.

If you have a saved custom version with your icons set up, use that to reset your default diagram, if not use the box settings on the diagram to add the icons conditioned on flags back in.

If the box conditions exist but the images do not show, check you have not moved the location of the images you are using.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Displaying Flags

Post by tatewise »

Did the Knowledge Base articles not help?

In the Records Window check that Individual Records such as kings & queens of UK still have the appropriate Record Flag for the Union flag, and similarly kings of Norway have appropriate Record Flag for the Norwegian flag.

View the Tree Diagram and select Diagram > Options > Boxes tab.
In the top pane there should be a Condition called Record Flag.
Select this and the bottom pane should have a tab for each Record Flag name.
Select each tab in turn and the Feature should show which Icon is associated with the Record Flag.
If it says then the icon image file is no longer where it used to be, and you need to restore those icon image files.

If you can confirm where in the above steps a setting is missing then further advice can be given.
David_Lewis
Famous

Displaying Flags

Post by David_Lewis »

Thanks for the quick reply

Think I have cracked it now. I have been having a major sort out on my PC rearanging all my pictures (not FH ones) and thus broken the links to the icons. will have to remake all of them.

so having sorted that out I also use a custom ID for all my entries That used to display in the diagrams as well but doesnt anymore. Ive tried a number of different text schemes in the Diagram options but none seem to display it.

Any Ideas?
David_Lewis
Famous

Displaying Flags

Post by David_Lewis »

Sorted that out as well , had to edit one of the text schemes to display it.

Not used FH for a few months and its surprising how quickly you forget things.

Many thanks anyway.
hls99cat
Silver
Family Historian: None

Displaying Flags

Post by hls99cat »

So pleased to have found this today as I am having the same trouble - lost all my diagram icons. This is driving me crazy!! They are still on my computer, but when I go to link them to flags (on the box that opens on the diagram) the program doesn't see them at all in the folder they are in. I have checked and they are bitmap files too.
Jane
Site Admin

Displaying Flags

Post by Jane »

I wonder if you have two folders with similar names.

In windows explorer find the folder where your images are.

Hold down the shift key and right click on the folder.

Select the option to 'Copy As Path', when you get the folder prompt in FH, paste (CTRL-V) the path in and press enter. This will confirm you are in the correct folder can you now see the files you need?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
hls99cat
Silver

Displaying Flags

Post by hls99cat »

Hi Jane - copy to path doesn't come up - I am using windows 7 - will that make a difference?

I can open the folder inside the diagram box, but unless it says 'read all files' it doesn't sho the icons. They will not attach from there. It reverts to bmap only, displays the folder as empty and then says no files match your search (even though they definitely are bmap files. AAAAARGH!!!!

Do you think I should upload the icons (they are your ones) again?
PeterR
Megastar

Displaying Flags

Post by PeterR »

Copy as path certainly appears in the context menu when I hold down Shift and right-click on a folder in Windows 7 Explorer.  I don't think this was an option in Windows XP.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
PeterR
Megastar

Displaying Flags

Post by PeterR »

This what my Select Icon window looks like when I click on the blue button next to Icons in the address bar. What are you seeing on yours?
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
hls99cat
Silver

Displaying Flags

Post by hls99cat »

I see the same, but the icons aren't in that folder any more, and it is not on my computer anywhere for me to move them to. They are in a folder called flags, which when I open in in FH (bmap files), it says it is empty, which it's not on my puter.

When I open the flags folder in FH - all files - they show up, but I can't click on them. They are definitely bmap files - I have checked three times!
hls99cat
Silver

Displaying Flags

Post by hls99cat »

AHA!!!!!!! Done it, thank you so much! I found the copy and paste bit eventually - sorry, have had a trying day and was just being a bit blonde!

Why do I not have an 'Icons' file in my puter where I think it should be? I cannot find it, even via a search. I would like to move the icons from my 'flags' file, to it
tatewise
Megastar

Displaying Flags

Post by tatewise »

You Icons folder will be here (unless you have a very non-standard set-up):
C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianIcons

However, it might just be hidden.
So in Windows Explorer click Organize top left and then Folder and Search Options.
In the Folder Options window select the View tab.
Then in Advanced settings under Files and Folders select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
While there it is a good idea to untick Hide extensions for known file types.
Then click OK.
hls99cat
Silver

Displaying Flags

Post by hls99cat »

Hello Tatewise and thank you so much for your reply.

When I went to C/program etc....there was no calico pie there. There is a family historian but with a few tutorials that I did in it years ago. However, it did show as a calico pie file when I open the condition/icon search box on the diagram.

So I did as you suggested with regards to the advance settings, and changed it to show hidden files etc, and have found it in a very weird place - program data (which didn't show before). Thank you. I shall try to move the icons to it now. Or will that then break all the links to the flag?
tatewise
Megastar

Displaying Flags

Post by tatewise »

I suspect the C:Program etc...Family Historian folder you mention is the C:Program FilesFamily Historian installation folder, which you should never modify.

On the contrary C:ProgramData... is not a weird place, it is a very common location in which many programs store their system wide data files.

If you move the icon files there now, then it will break the Diagram Box links.
However, in the long run, it will be worth the effort to make this change, because it will allow FH to be moved to/installed on another PC far easier in the future.