* Family tree diagram for couple

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
duncan_a
Gold
Family Historian: None

Family tree diagram for couple

Post by duncan_a »

Hi

I'm also trying to produce a tree diagram for a couple - I've read this thread and the help file but as soon as I select the second person the diagram icons grey out...

Am I misunderstanding?

v3.1.2
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Inserting family tree into diagram

Post by tatewise »

The couple have to be a Family Record Married/Partnership couple.

Are you selecting the couple in the Diagram Window or the Records Window?

In the Diagram Window the couple must be linked by a double tramline, indicating they are a Family couple.

In the Records Window the most certain method is to select the desired Family Record from the Families tab.
If the Families tab is not showing, then use Tools > Record Window Options and set the Record Type Display Options to Always show.
duncan_a
Gold

Post by duncan_a »

Thanks for that - I now have both families showing on the tree but...

It orders by the male.

Here's the scenario:

It is for a local history display at a village fete ('banner' printed)

There is a statue in the village to Caroline - she is therefore the main subject.

Caroline married Richard in 1834 and they had three daughters. He died in 1865 and Caroline then married William in 1882.

William had married Emily in 1858 and they produced 2 daughters. Emily died in 1880.

William was also a major figure in the village so is effectively Caroline's co-star.

William & Caroline produced no children but his eldest grandson inherited and continued the family prominance in the village, so I'd like to position him vertically below William, with a generation space (parents off-set) and then add a coloured line to the char (and add the statue above Caroline's box) in a graphics package.

What I'm thinking is (left to right and excuse keyboarding)

Emily====I
                                                       I
Richard ==== Caroline =========I==== William

At the moment it reads

Emily === William === Caroline === Richard

I was hoping that 'Re-Order' would do it, but it doesn't.

I 'sort of' moved a few things about using the Movement Control Box but, to be honest, got rather confued.

It needs to be 'All Relatives' for everybody because there will be odd 'off-line' descendants visiting the fete who will expect to see their part of the tree included.

I can't see that it's not going to be something of a mess however I do it.

Probably as much of a mess as I made explaining it!!!

Thanks

Duncan
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think it will be difficult, if not impossible, to achieve exactly what you want.
The four spouses   Emily === William === Caroline === Richard   have to be on the same generation row.

I presume the 'couple' you choose as the 'root' of the Diagram is William & Caroline.
Thus William's spouse is always on his right, and the other two spouses have to be placed either side.

However, you should be able to arrange William's eldest grandson to be below him.
First enable the Movement Control Box and then select one of his daughters.
Using the Sibling Shift options you should be able to swap the daughters, such that the eldest is on the right.
Then if necessary do the same with her children.

You may also need to use Box & Bar to shift these sibling groups left or right.

This should bring his elder daughter, and her son (the eldest grandson) under William.
duncan_a
Gold

Post by duncan_a »

Thank you for taking thr trouble to explain that and for taking even more trouble to decode my gibberish.

It would be really handy if FH had an option to selectively 'reverse couples' in diagrams (a future ehancement perhaps?). I can recall a couple of times in the past where it would have been very convenient when I've been interested in the line of the female and wanted that to be 'central' and wasted the male's line offset but thiss is the first time I've needed it for display purposes and, with two double-marriages it is turning out very difficult to follow.

The new 'Route' functions of v5 would help (particularly if it is possible to apply multiple, different coloured routes) but my pension won't stretch that far (hence still being on v3.1.2).

I really am very grateful

Duncan
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is a Spouse Shift option in the Movement Control Box, but it only applies to Descendants from the Diagram Root on which the Diagram is based.
In your example, only the children and grandchildren of William & Caroline can have spouses reversed.

The 'Route' function in FH V5 does support multiple different coloured Routes.

FH V5 is available from My History for £34.40 plus I think £1 postage, but may be free.
duncan_a
Gold

Post by duncan_a »

Thanks

I'll experiment with the 'Spouse Shift' - it may be that I can create something for each individual in the 'couple' from the generation before and thereby use this function - subsequently joinig two trees in the graphics program...

I can also 'recolour' routes that way obviously but it's a bit of a fag...

Your help has been invaluable.

Duncan