* Enhancement to the Shared Autosomal DNA Diagram

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Enhancement to the Shared Autosomal DNA Diagram

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The Shared Autosomal DNA diagram ('out of the box') shows the 'predicted' amount of Shared DNA with the Root as a %; however, anyone who has done much work with DNA will know this is a gross approximation.

Would it be possible to indicate as well the likely range of shared DNA, such as is shown in The Shared cM Project 4.0 tool v4?

(Yes, I know this would be pretty difficult, but I can only ask).
jimlad68
Megastar

Re: Enhancement to the Shared Autosomal DNA Diagram

Post by jimlad68 »

I like the DNA painter table, as it seems a good empirical calculation of probable ranges for everyday use. I'm sure there will be a method to calculate these "probable ranges" but that is all they are. If you look at a simple case of siblings, theoretically they could be identical (not twins) or have no shared DNA, whilst practically probably impossible, there must be cases that veer towards that.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

They're actually the result of statistical calculations based on real (reported) values for shared cMs versus known relationships by the Shared cM Project.

If you click on an entry on the chart you can see a view of the underlying data.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 24 Jan 2022 15:35 They're actually the result of statistical calculations based on real (reported) values
yes, I can see that, A long time since I did statistics, probabilities etc, but I would have thought that rather than (or as well as) using limited reported empirical data, it should be possible for the DNA experts to create % probability ranges. e.g. 50% chance of being in 1 range, 10% of being in another larger range. So I think you are asking for the impossible unless you also qualify the % chance.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

jimlad68 wrote: 24 Jan 2022 16:25
ColeValleyGirl wrote: 24 Jan 2022 15:35 They're actually the result of statistical calculations based on real (reported) values
yes, I can see that, A long time since I did statistics, probabilities etc, but I would have thought that rather than (or as well as) using limited reported empirical data, it should be possible for the DNA experts to create % probability ranges. e.g. 50% chance of being in 1 range, 10% of being in another larger range. So I think you are asking for the impossible unless you also qualify the % chance.
Agreed, the empirical data could be distorted by pedigree collapse and non-paternity events of which people submitting data may have been unaware.

Shouldn't this follow a typical "bell-shaped curve" as the chance of you inheriting a particular bit of genetic material from your parents is a straight 50:50 toss up (sex chromosomes excepted)?

Then the usual confidence limits and standard deviation calculations apply?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I had the same thought, but it would need to account for the fact that one side of the curve is often bounded, rather than being symmetric. My ideal is probably a simple 95% confidence interval for a given relationship.

The disadvantage of all of these options is that they are likely to be misunderstood or misused by users who don't understand the underlying stats, but in general it is better to increase education and awareness than to restrict the data to the lowest common denominator.
Mark Draper
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

davidf wrote: 24 Jan 2022 16:33 Shouldn't this follow a typical "bell-shaped curve"
Bell Curve, my favourite, it explains so much in so many areas. I suppose my "50% chance of being in 1 range, 10% etc" implies the same or similar.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

the chance of you inheriting a particular bit of genetic material from your parents is a straight 50:50 toss up
Correct. But because of recombination, the chance of you inheriting a particular bit of generic material from your grandparents is not exactly 25% -- it's there or thereabouts. And the more generations you go back, the more those little differences affect the possible amounts of shared DNA.

Do any of you work with DNA at all?
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mark1834 wrote: 24 Jan 2022 16:40 .... it is better to increase education and awareness than to restrict the data to the lowest common denominator.
This program is often frightening as well as interesting:
More or Less on BBC Radio 4
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrss1
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 24 Jan 2022 16:50
Correct. But because of recombination, the chance of you inheriting a particular bit of generic material from your grandparents is not exactly 25% -- it's there or thereabouts. And the more generations you go back, the more those little differences affect the possible amounts of shared DNA.

Do any of you work with DNA at all?
Agreed, and "the range" is the first thing that surprised me when doing my research, but that does not stop the above scenarios fitting into a Bell Curve.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Mark1834 wrote: 24 Jan 2022 16:40 ...
The disadvantage of all of these options is that they are likely to be misunderstood or misused by users who don't understand the underlying stats, but in general it is better to increase education and awareness than to restrict the data to the lowest common denominator.
There is a danger that many will take these charts as absolute "proof" (or even "disproof") rather than as indications of strong likelihood.

I am told it is theoretically possible that all the genetic material I inherited from my mother came from her mother and that I have no genetic connection with my (legitimate) maternal grandfather. Extremely unlikely - but the more removed you get the greater the chance that you have no genetic material in common with an otherwise "genuine" relative.

Which does rather raise the question what is a relative? Common DNA, or being the result of a "plumbing connection", or just a shared family heritage?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

We are wandering off topic here for this forum...
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 24 Jan 2022 16:50 Do any of you work with DNA at all?
Not quantitatively - I keep an eye on alleged matches, and there is a good spread across various lines to indicate there are no likely "irregularities" in my recent parentage (not proof, as we could both be related to the same "wrong" person...).

Going further back, you run into the issue where most of the "matches" are likely by chance, so less useful - a bit like BT telling us our minimum guaranteed download speed is 0 mb/s - not all data are useful information.... ;).
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Wish List request 585 has been raised for this as it's definitely not currently supported.