* Resize and Move Media Using Mouse

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
APerson
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Resize and Move Media Using Mouse

Post by APerson »

First of all, I've just taken the big plunge and purchased FH - I'm about to move my RootsMagic files over to FH as my new main database - even though I've used RM forever!

As I'm learning my way around FH, one of the first things I've noticed is that I cannot move media around in FH without having to click on a button (on the screen) first. While FH does allow for media to be dragged around the screen using the mouse while the left button is held down, it's necessary to first click on the "grabber hand" (see screen shot below) to allow for it. In addition, one must also click on the "grabber hand" each time a different item is viewed. It would be very nice to simply allow this to be set as the default behavior for all media items.

The second wish list is also related to viewing media and also one that took RM FOREVER to finally address. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is yet possible in FH. Specifically, it is MUCH faster to zoom in or out by using the wheel on the mouse. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears as if one must use the drop down or buttons located at the bottom of the window (see screen capture). It would be much easier to permit the use of the mouse wheel (as a default setting) instead.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. Thanks!
Jeff La Marca
Author of Simple Citations for Genealogical Sources
Now Available from Amazon
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Resize and Move Media Using Mouse

Post by davidf »

APerson wrote: 22 Jan 2022 19:41 ...
The second wish list is also related to viewing media and also one that took RM FOREVER to finally address. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is yet possible in FH. Specifically, it is MUCH faster to zoom in or out by using the wheel on the mouse. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears as if one must use the drop down or buttons located at the bottom of the window (see screen capture). It would be much easier to permit the use of the mouse wheel (as a default setting) instead.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. Thanks!
In the Multimedia window in V6 [Ctrl+Scroll Wheel] does Zoom (as it does in diagrams). In the Edit Media dialog though, it doesn't!

It would be nice if it was consistent across all areas where there was something that was zoomable!

I prefer [Ctrl+Scroll Wheel] to just [Scroll Wheel] because the scroll wheel is primarily associated with vertical scrolling.

David
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
APerson
Diamond

Post by APerson »

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about the Multimedia window - holding the ctrl key down and scrolling does work! I believe that most programs in which it is possible to use the scroll wheel to zoom, as long as the media item has "focus," the mouse can zoom in and out. However, once the mouse is no longer over the media item, it reverts back to scrolling the window up or down. I certainly wouldn't object to holding down the CTRL key in order to get things to work consistently in FH.

As you said, it would be nice if things were consistent. Again, thanks!
Jeff La Marca
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Hello. I am also new to FH and want to second APearson's suggestion previously posted on Jan 22. Allowing the grabber hand to be set as default would make moving zoomed images around the screen much easier. Thank-you.

While FH does allow for media to be dragged around the screen using the mouse while the left button is held down, it's necessary to first click on the "grabber hand" (see screen shot below) to allow for it. In addition, one must also click on the "grabber hand" each time a different item is viewed. It would be very nice to simply allow this to be set as the default behavior for all media items.
APerson
Diamond

Post by APerson »

DavidS wrote: 07 Apr 2022 01:37 Hello. I am also new to FH and want to second APearson's suggestion previously posted on Jan 22. Allowing the grabber hand to be set as default would make moving zoomed images around the screen much easier. Thank-you.

While FH does allow for media to be dragged around the screen using the mouse while the left button is held down, it's necessary to first click on the "grabber hand" (see screen shot below) to allow for it. In addition, one must also click on the "grabber hand" each time a different item is viewed. It would be very nice to simply allow this to be set as the default behavior for all media items.
Jeff La Marca
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I completely agree with the OP as this is an area I find FH has room for improvement and hopefully will do so.

The auto grabber over an image and auto zoom by mouse wheel is now a basic expectation of users and has been available in competitor software and various other applications for many years now so time for change.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Another option that would be nice would be to have the program remember if the grabber hand was selected or not. If I have selected the grabber hand and then closed the window, then it would be nice if the grabber hand was still selected the next time I opened the window. I use the grabber hand 99% of the time.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Moving this to the Closed Items area as it has been implemented in 7.0.14.1