* Citation Properties Dialogue (Filtering/Preferences)

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
dbnut
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Citation Properties Dialogue (Filtering/Preferences)

Post by dbnut »

As far as I can tell this particular suggestion has not been made before...

From the Citation List Pane we open the Edit Source Citation dialogue for a particular citation. On its Text tab we can view/add text to the Source Record or the Citation, filtered (if desired) by the combo box selector which currently defaults to "Source Record and Citation-specific" (i.e. not filtered).

Most of us use one or the other exclusively (or nearly so) and it would be a great kindness to have a user preference to choose the better default - yes, mine is "Citation-specific Only"). That would change the default for Notes and Media tabs too.

A reminder that the content is filtered (either way) might be a label to the right of the "Show" combo box: "FILTERED", or similar.

Going one step further, could we have the "Add Text from Source" button re-labelled "Add to Source Record" or "Add to Citation" as second and third cases if a filter is selected? That could then eliminate the button's top-level menu, going straight to what is now a (more compact) sub-menu.

For those of us (still) (mostly) not using templates, a second favour would be a "one click" auxiliary button "Add Empty Text" (with no down arrow) to avoid a menu choice as needed with the main button.
Paul White
"Family Historian is not just for Christmas, but for Life"
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Citation Properties Dialogue (Filtering/Preferences)

Post by tatewise »

I was convinced there would be an option to set a default for that Show: menu on all three tabs: Text from Source, Notes & Media. Maybe that would be three default settings? However, you are correct, I cannot find any way to set any such default.

One option that might actually make it even easier is to use the Menu > Customize Citation Window... feature.
Then you can add the Text from Source field directly to the Citation tab in either the Source Record section at the top or the Citation-specific Details section at the bottom.
That then avoids completely the need to open the Text from Source tab and choose a Show: option.
Autotext can be added via the Rich Text Note window cog Menu.

I don't understand the point of an Add Empty Text button. If you want the Text from Source to be empty then do nothing.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

tatewise wrote: 03 Jan 2022 12:14 One option that might actually make it even easier is to use the Menu > Customize Citation Window... feature.
Then you can add the Text from Source field directly to the Citation tab in either the Source Record section at the top or the Citation-specific Details section at the bottom.
That then avoids completely the need to open the Text from Source tab and choose a Show: option.

I don't understand the point of an Add Empty Text button. If you want the Text from Source to be empty then do nothing.
Thanks, all first class stuff, Megastar Mike!

I have no experience of property box customisation. Appreciate the idea, but maybe my suggestion would be of more general benefit for clarity/efficiency? Maybe?

And, perhaps I wasn't clear enough about Empty text... when you move to the Text tab you need to do something to create a new empty text before you can enter anything at all (which I do).

Using the "Add Text..." button, I'm forced to go through a menu (and even a sub-menu at the moment) to choose "<Empty Text>". For a shaky old git, that can be dozens too many precision mouse movements/clicks per hour that a (big) dedicated button would obviate. And (I didn't think to mention) a keyboard shortcut would be better still.

Just to stir it a bit, FH is not very well endowed with those, typical for software designers of later generations than mine. If the main activity in an application is keyboard-orientated (as with FH) and efficiency matters (which it always should) then recourse to a mouse/trackball/touchpad should be avoided as much as reasonably possible.

Finally "accessibility" was from early days an important element of Microsoft's interface standards guide and something I tried hard to respect in my own software. Most of my co-workers were dismissive. It's an issue I'm (perhaps overly) sensitive about, but lack of "empathetic software" becomes increasingly problematic with age. Most other designers will themselves get old one day and understand better.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not planning to retire.
Paul White
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Your suggestion may have merit, but it can take a long time for such requested changes to be implemented.
Whereas the Customize Citation Window... feature is already available.

If you use that to add the Text from Source field directly to the Citation tab, then the Add Empty Text option is superfluous because you simply click the [...] button on the right of the Text From Source box.

If enough users take an interest in your suggestion then we can add it to the Wish List.

BTW: Have you seen the FH Help page Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts?

If you search this New Wish List Requests forum for "keyboard shortcuts" and "autohotkey" you will other discussions on the same topic.
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

tatewise wrote: 04 Jan 2022 11:24 Your suggestion may have merit, but it can take a long time for such requested changes to be implemented.
Whereas the Customize Citation Window... feature is already available.
Fair comment, thanks, and I'll take time out to do this and stop hoping for better in this instance.
tatewise wrote: 04 Jan 2022 11:24 If you use that to add the Text from Source field directly to the Citation tab, then the Add Empty Text option is superfluous because you simply click the [...] button on the right of the Text From Source box.
[TBA]
tatewise wrote: 04 Jan 2022 11:24 If enough users take an interest in your suggestion then we can add it to the Wish List.
Hmm, OK.
tatewise wrote: 04 Jan 2022 11:24BTW: Have you seen the FH Help page Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts?
Um, are you implying FH is fully compliant here???
tatewise wrote: 04 Jan 2022 11:24 If you search this New Wish List Requests forum for "keyboard shortcuts" and "autohotkey" you will other discussions on the same topic.
Hohoho, 9 matches to the first, averse to following up the second.
Impression? Some get it, some don't, some just want to "profit" by it. While some (understandably) just never had the misfortune to grow up dependent on a particular convention (love it or hate it).
That's why I don't usually waste my time researching what others have to say on a particular topic, being so bloody-minded as to imagine I might know better (try to forgive that?) :oops: .
Paul White
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

dbnut wrote: 05 Jan 2022 00:43
That's why I don't usually waste my time researching what others have to say on a particular topic, being so bloody-minded as to imagine I might know better (try to forgive that?) :oops: .
Being bloody-minded myself, I (and others) tend not to repeat ourselves to people who don't bother reading what we've written to answer the same question elsewhere. Try to forgive that? :roll:
Ruth_W
Diamond

Post by Ruth_W »

I was glad to see this post as it is something I’ve been wondering. As a recent convert, I’ve been updating the more common sources via AS, but now I’m adding more as above, and found the same frustrations (too many clicks). I will also try Mike’s suggestions - thanks.
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

tatewise wrote: 03 Jan 2022 12:14 One option that might actually make it even easier is to use the Menu > Customize Citation Window... feature.
I say, you're right on the button. Just followed this up: a real, real time-saver, thanks ever so much.

Moreover, that neatly defuses one element of my private (I think) wish list item for a total make-over of source/citation boxes, eliminating one of them (more-or-less).

This is so life-changing for me (exaggerating, just a bit :)), wouldn't it be an idea to document/illustrate that in a Hints & Tips? Can't see any such area here, so maybe(?) as a topic in Knowledge Base "Sources and Citations"?

I haven't done much property box customising and must train myself to think of it as an option to solve other gripes.
Paul White
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is already documented in generic terms, although not specifically for Text From Source.

See FHUG KB Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources under 'Source Property Box and Citation Window' where at the bottom it says "Following these instructions will also customise the Citation Window."

See FH Help page Citation Window that at the bottom mentions 'Customizing the Citation Window'.
That refers to page Customize Property Box.

As soon as you get into the Customize Citation Window dialogue it is self-evident that Text From Source, et al, can be added to the Main tab.

The FHUG KB tries to avoid duplicating what is already covered in the FH Help pages.
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

Replying to Mike:

I'm happy to agree with everything you say, including about duplication.
And also understand too well how busy you and the Team must be.

The functional/efficiency benefits (to me, rather startling) of this very small, specific customisation were spotted and passed on by you, a highly experienced user/developer. I doubt many others could/would/did... it might have been shared before.

The rest of us probably spend most time just using FH, mentally locked-in to both interface as it is and usage routine. Sometimes we don't even recognise we have a problem, or that life could be easier. Perhaps not many would guess that customisation might be the answer.
Paul White
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

I just "stumbled" across this thread (and this awesome customization recommendation). Not even sure what I was originally looking for. I thought this was such a great recommendation, I stopped what I was doing and opened up my project to implement it.
I tend to be a lumber for a lot of sources and will enter "Text from Source" for the source record when I create the Source Record which might be when I am doing research, several days before I start entering citation level information.
In addition to saving a couple of clicks, having the citation level "Text from Source" on the Prepared Citation tab, the information becomes part of the citation level information that must be entered.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since what you describe is already available, what new feature are you requesting?
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

I was not requesting a new feature - just acknowledging your work and the recommendation of customizing the Citation Window to include the the Text from Source in the Citation-specific Details section and how much it improves my work flow and supports the Source-Driven Data Entry.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Given the foregoing discussion about customising the Citation Window, does this need to remain on the Wish List or can it be closed?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think it can be closed as the Citation Window Customization seems to have satisfied the requirement.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks Mike.

Moving to Closed Wish List Requests.