* Viewing and editing citations

For existing requests please see The Wish List
rcpettit
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Viewing and editing citations

Post by rcpettit » 21 Sep 2021 22:46

I would like to see FH display citations in the Source Tab like is done in Rootsmagic 8, and Familytreemaker 2017. Have a split screen and when you select a source, any citations for that source will display in the other side of the display. Then have to ability to merge duplicates and edit citations. Being a lumper, this would make life easier.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Viewing and editing citations

Post by tatewise » 22 Sep 2021 10:49

I imagine what you are really asking for is a Source Citation Window rather than modify the Records Window Sources tab.
i.e. Similar to the Media Window or Map Window that are separate from the Records Window Media and Places tabs and have added features.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf » 22 Sep 2021 13:01

When I first read this I wondered if it could be achieved through a query, but it's not easily done due to the "many to many" relationship of the citation to both facts and sources where the manys are variable. A source can be linked to many facts and facts can be linked to many sources - and "the citation" is the detail of the link. Which for lumpers is rather useful!

A "simple" citation record window might be either of limited functionality or alternatively very difficult to implement because in GEDCOM "citations" do not exist as "GEDCOM records"?

Is this a place for some form of plug in that can crawl a GEDCOM? In RdB terms you want a sort of denormalised table of all facts and all sources - sorted initially by source.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Lubuntu 18.04 LTS)

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Sep 2021 14:21

There is the long-established Where Used Record Links plugin that with one or many selected Source records lists all the Citations with useful indicators for identifying duplicates.
See the Help page Where Used Record Links that explains the details provide for Citations.

There are other plugins and some queries that offer Source Citation details.

In FH v7.0 there is also the View > Citations to Source Record... command.

davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf » 22 Sep 2021 17:28

That does what I would want - but I'm not the original poster!

Worth noting that in the plug in results window clicking on the entry in the "Field Where Used Column" takes you to the Individual property dialog with the relevant fact highlighted - which is neat and unexpected.

It includes the "Entry Date" from the citation; pity it does not include the "other" "citation fields" (in 6.2.7: Assessment, Where Used within Source, Text from Source, Note)
David

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Sep 2021 18:18

David, I wonder if you have studied the Help page Where Used Record Links that explains the things you thought were neat and unexpected.

Also, it does display the "other" "citation fields" such as Assessment, Where within Source, Text From Source, Citation Note, and in FH v7 the first few Citation Metafields, but any column may be omitted to save space if all fields in that column are blank.
That is particularly helpful for 'splitters' where those fields are rarely used.

davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf » 23 Sep 2021 06:50

tatewise wrote:
22 Sep 2021 18:18
Also, it does display the "other" "citation fields" such as Assessment, Where within Source, Text From Source, Citation Note, and in FH v7 the first few Citation Metafields, but any column may be omitted to save space if all fields in that column are blank.
So it does! But I had to resize columns to see these additional columns (off to the right) - which is a right pain.
Should there be a horizontal scroll line in such "result queries" - or am I not seeing it due to an "excess of wine"?

I was referring to clicking to reach a specific fact as "neat and unexpected" because in previous discussions about being able to link in to FH at a specific fact from an external program (e.g. hyperlink "linkto://FH ProjectPath/FH ProjectName/Record ID#Fact"), I was persuaded that this would not be possible because facts (unlike records) do not have explicit IDs and cannot therefore be directly referenced. This plug-in which I had not tried in earnest before seems to be able to directly link to a specific fact (albeit from within FH). I would really like to be able to right click on a fact and lift a form of hyperlink that I could then paste into another program (such as ZIM) that I use for research management/planning so that clicking on that link would take me directly to that fact in FH.
David

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 23 Sep 2021 08:44

David, there certainly should be a horizontal scroll bar and a vertical scroll bar whenever necessary.
That is a standard feature of all Result Sets whether produced by a Query or a Plugin. It must be the wine effect!

There is absolutely no way to link to anything inside FH using a URL from another application, not even to open records.
I have no idea where you might have got hold of that idea.
It is possible to invoke FH with a command line that identifies a record to open, but that does NOT involve a URL.

This discussion is straying away from the OP request and maybe needs another thread...