* [On Hold until 21 Feb 2025] Hotkey to hide boxes in charts/diagrams

For Wish List Requests that need more work before they can be progressed to the Wish List, because after 3 months, discussions have not arrived at a clear specification of the requirement such that one or more Wish List items can be raised. Items On Hold that are not subsequently refined to a state suitable for the Wish List within a year by the OP or other interested parties will be closed. If the OP feels unable to progress the request, they should ask for volunteers among other interested users to assist.
GeoffR
Family Historian: V7

[On Hold until 21 Feb 2025] Hotkey to hide boxes in charts/diagrams

Post by GeoffR »

Instead of having to right-click when a box(es) has been selected in the charts/diagrams, a 'hotkey' such as a single "H" keypress would be a very easy way to hide selected individuals in order to make the chart simpler by 'pruning' the non-essential members of the family.

The ability to hide certain 'nodes' and branches makes the charts/diagrams a killer feature of Family Historian, and the facility to hide selected individuals with a hot key would make it even better.

I'd be interested to hear other users' thoughts on this. Is there already a facility to do this?

Geoff
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Hotkey to hide boxes in charts/diagrams

Post by tatewise »

Geoff, is the 'problem' that you repeatedly need to hide the same boxes every time you build essentially the same Diagram?

After hiding the boxes have you tried using Diagram > Save Diagram to create a Family Historian Chart?
That remembers all your Options, the Diagram Root person, which boxes are hidden, etc, etc, ...

It is NOT a completely frozen Chart. Any changes to the family tree will add or remove boxes from the Chart. Any changes to Facts will be shown in the boxes. The layout can be rearranged. The Text Scheme can be changed.
However, it is saved between FH runs, whereas working Diagrams are always built from scratch, and Diagram Types only preserve the Options and a few other details.

BTW: If needed, a 'hotkey' would need to be more than a single letter to avoid misinterpretation. It would need to involve another key such a Ctrl, Shft, Alt, or Windows key. That would detract from making it easier than right-click of the mouse.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

Mike,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.

Given that a 'hide hot-key' would obviously require an additional key (CTRL, ALT etc) I guess I'll stick with the RH mouse button!

Geoff.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

tatewise wrote: 15 Mar 2021 23:15
BTW: If needed, a 'hotkey' would need to be more than a single letter to avoid misinterpretation. It would need to involve another key such a Ctrl, Shft, Alt, or Windows key. That would detract from making it easier than right-click of the mouse.
What like Ctrl c to copy. I would never right click then select copy over that option. I think the option being there would never be a bad thing, you wouldn't have to use it, most hotkey options do make working within Windows programs quicker.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Using AutoHotKey Scripts
just add this after the line:
#X::Send !TL ; Win+X opens Tools > E'X'ternal File Links (Win+L opens Windows Lock screen)

Code: Select all

; Diagram to hide a box. Ensure mouse pointer over box > Win+Z 
;       (you can leave Win key pressed while moving to others then hit z, L hand keyboard, R hand uses mouse)
#Z::Send {Click, , Right}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Enter}
Something I have just been working on and hope to publish a 1st draft very soon with more shortcuts, but did not want to keep you waiting.

You also have the option to select multiple boxes (hold Ctrl + clicks) then hide them all together via Diagram hide/show boxes.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Geoff, now that there's an AutoHotKey script that meets the need, do you still want to raise a Wish List request?
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Helen, you will note the download in my post
Autohotkey (AHK) "Productivity" shortcuts (19150)
includes the mentioned AHK code, along with some others.
I find this speeds up many actions for me, however you will also note my l hoped that FHv7 would bring some "productivity" navigation improvements, as it did not that is why I posted the AHK script.
I would still hope that FH would include more shortcuts, even better would be macro ability, to aid productivity.

So, I would think it still an excellent wish list candidate.
If I, with my limited scripting skills can do it in 1 line of script, it should be a doddle for CP.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jim, you're doing it with one line of script supported by a program that somebody else has developed. Developing the supporting program has taken 18 years to date...

Personally, I'd rather CP put their effort into developing functionality that nobody else can provide (there are plenty of examples on the Wish List already) rather than things that can be added on using existing 3rd party projects.

However, if I'm going to raise a request for extra hot key support, it ought to be more generic than just this request I suspect.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Helen, I suppose it is all a case of priorities. However, CP have produced many integrated shortcut keys, so I suspect it is not that difficult; is it a case of sitting down and creating them, and ideally giving more thought to Common Look and Feel (CLAF), there are so many inconsistencies including many fields/buttons not being able to tab to, or do not have an ALT+char option, these alone would make navigation easier and also make scripting things like AHK so much easier.

"more generic" I agree, if you wish I could detail it for you, I have already suggested a related aspect to CP via a support ticket.

N.B. /P.S. re Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes (12800)
I have tried to reply to your comment on this but cannot find a "Reply" button!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jim, could you have a go at detailing the request?

Re Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes (12800) just let me know here (topics in Closed wish List requests are locked, I suspect).
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Helen, Great, I will come back in next few days with a "generic list" + examples, shall I post it here?

re Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes (12800)
- As far as I can work out, if you are not using the new formatting options, the only improvement is that the new note window font can be changed once you are in it, but requires changing from "automatic" each visit, I cannot see a way to make the default font say consolas. There is no new option in Preferences > property box > Fonts.

It is a bit better now in that if the "global text" is monospaced (say consolas), then the automatic becomes consolas, the downside being most other text is consolas and not as easy on the eye for sentence type text. If I know I will be viewing a lot of "tabulated" data, I will swap to Consolas for all text via the properties box.

The same issue is still there for example with popup citation window for "text from source", which is even more pertinent for tabulated data.

So the 2 suggestions are still very valid to me, and would be very useful.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

jimlad68 wrote: 28 Mar 2021 12:31 Helen, Great, I will come back in next few days with a "generic list" + examples, shall I post it here?
Yes please.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

jimlad68 wrote: 28 Mar 2021 12:31 re Property Box Font for Text+Note+Text Frm Source+POPOUT boxes (12800)
- As far as I can work out, if you are not using the new formatting options, the only improvement is that the new note window font can be changed once you are in it, but requires changing from "automatic" each visit, I cannot see a way to make the default font say consolas. There is no new option in Preferences > property box > Fonts.

It is a bit better now in that if the "global text" is monospaced (say consolas), then the automatic becomes consolas, the downside being most other text is consolas and not as easy on the eye for sentence type text. If I know I will be viewing a lot of "tabulated" data, I will swap to Consolas for all text via the properties box.

The same issue is still there for example with popup citation window for "text from source", which is even more pertinent for tabulated data.

So the 2 suggestions are still very valid to me, and would be very useful.
OK -- I'll leave the relevant Wish List item open.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 28 Mar 2021 12:44
jimlad68 wrote: 28 Mar 2021 12:31 Helen, Great, I will come back in next few days with a "generic list" + examples, shall I post it here?
Yes please.
Helen, below as promised. Feel free to amend, update, add to etc. Does this mean you will add to the Official FHUG Wish List?

Wish List - Title - Productivity Navigation improvements and Shortcuts - with CLAF (Common Look And Feel)

[1] All dropdown menu items and subsidiary menu items should have unique character keyboard choices.

[2] Same for right mouse click dropdown menus.

[3] It should be possible to "tab to" and/or "Alt+letter to" all "buttons" and "data entry points".

[4] All windows should have the maximise facility enabled.

[5] A simple method/shortcut to expand all (or limited) the "+-" items in "Property Box All tab", "Records window", "Named Lists". This takes for ever now, but when expanded fully can give a complete picture and can even be copy/pasted elsewhere.

<> The above 5 items should also make it easier to produce scripts for external programs like Autohotkey (AHK)

[6] Some but not all popup windows can be ESCaped from (e.g. "select source" "select source record" "text editing" and more cannot)

[7] More built in shortcut keys, ideally the abillty create one's own. Could this be accomplished by plugins?

[8] Retain "window" positions and sizes within a session and for a new session.

<><> Examples for the above.

[ex1] Some of the main Alt+character dropdown menus use the same character multiple times.
- Alt > View > Charts > Ancestors and fAn charts both have letter A, yet the 2 all relatives do not have a jump character.
- Alt > Edit > F gives Find, but no letter for Find and replace, find in diagram or File Root.

[ex2] e.g. Mouse Right Click on Fact to show drop down menu in Property Box All tab, Records window, Named Lists.
This shows many items (variable depending on fact) nearly all beginning with "Add"

[ex3]
- Report pane/window. I cannot Tab anywhere. Arrow keys will not go between buttons, Ctrl+D does not go to an entry box.

[ex4] These are some popout windows that have the maximise window option greyed out, yet it is possible to drag to any size or use some of the windows "winkey+arrow" actions.
- Plugins, All custom queries, "text editing" window.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jim produced a list of suggested hotkeys etc. but it hasn't received any discussion -- is there any support for them, or any concerns if they were to be implemented?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm putting this On Hold for lack of support.
jimlad68
Megastar

Re: [On Hold until 21 Feb 2025] Hotkey to hide boxes in charts/diagrams

Post by jimlad68 »

I have also expressed these views in the past direct to Calico Pie, it is up to them if they take the time/resources to make the product a more CLAF and flexible keystroke/mouse professional product. It just seems a pity that they do not make this product with excellent functionality "quicker" to navigate.