* On Hold until 22 Dec 2024: Descendants Tab

For Wish List Requests that need more work before they can be progressed to the Wish List, because after 3 months, discussions have not arrived at a clear specification of the requirement such that one or more Wish List items can be raised. Items On Hold that are not subsequently refined to a state suitable for the Wish List within a year by the OP or other interested parties will be closed. If the OP feels unable to progress the request, they should ask for volunteers among other interested users to assist.
nconway567
Gold
Family Historian: V7

On Hold until 22 Dec 2024: Descendants Tab

Post by nconway567 »

On the Focus window - Descendants tab, it would be very helpful to have a Expand all/collapse all button, as well as a Zoom in/Zoom out.

When looking through families with a lot of branches, it becomes unwieldy.
Descendants tab.jpg
Descendants tab.jpg (247.82 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Descendants Tab

Post by LornaCraig »

If you click on any of the small squares to the left it will collapse the corresponding branch. To collapse them all, click on the top one (next to Hannah Lathrop in your example). Is that what you mean?

Clicking the button again will expand the branch(es) to whatever state they were in when when you collapsed them, so if the sub-branches were previously expanded they will re-open in that state.
Lorna
nconway567
Gold

Post by nconway567 »

Yes, I know I can click on the Plus or Minus to expand/contract. Most collapsible views have a main "Collapse All" or "Contract All" option which closes all the branches with one click.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Have you experimented with using the Left Right Descendants diagram instead, it offers a lot more customisation and you can control the number of generations to show on opening and easily change the information shown.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

nconway567 wrote: 23 Jun 2022 14:53 Most collapsible views have a main "Collapse All" or "Contract All" option which closes all the branches with one click.
The leftmost + button does that?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In my Descendants tab, there is no leftmost [+] button against the root person that governs the whole tree.
The OP screenshot is misleading because it has been scrolled down to the last child of the root person.

If the Descendant tab shows a root person with many children then there is no easy Expand All/Collapse All option.
e.g.
In the Family Historian Sample Project, select Michael Pleasance MUNRO [4] and open the Descendants tab.
He has no [+] button next to his name.
There are several [+] buttons next to his children but they only govern each child's subtree.
There is no overall Expand All/Collapse All option.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 14 Dec 2022 21:43 There is no overall Expand All/Collapse All option
But if there was a "collapse all" option, you would only have the individual's name, so it would no longer be a "descendants" tab?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is one interpretation, although all spouses are listed.
Another interpretation is that it applies to all the children's subtrees.
So a collapsed tab would show just the root person, their children, and all their spouses.
A fully expanded tab would show all the children's subtrees expanded.
i.e. You don't have to go around clicking all the [+] or [-] buttons.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

nconway567 wrote: 23 Jun 2022 13:19 On the Focus window - Descendants tab, it would be very helpful to have a Expand all/collapse all button, as well as a Zoom in/Zoom out.
Do you have a view in Mike Tate's suggestion:
tatewise wrote: 14 Dec 2022 22:41 Yes, that is one interpretation, although all spouses are listed.
Another interpretation is that it applies to all the children's subtrees.
So a collapsed tab would show just the root person, their children, and all their spouses.
A fully expanded tab would show all the children's subtrees expanded.
i.e. You don't have to go around clicking all the [+] or [-] buttons.
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

If it could work using the +, - and * keys in in the same way it works in Windows File Explorer would be ideal for me - highlight a person and then using the keys:
  • + Expands selected branch one level; or if it is a branch that was previously expanded, reinstate it as previously expanded. This is as clicking + does at present.
  • - Collapse branch. This is as clicking - does at present.
  • * Fully expand selected branch.
A neat addition would be to allow you to key a number (1-9) to indicate the number of generations to expand instead of using *.

I've set Preferences, Focus Window, Descendant Generations (default) to 2 so that by default it only shows the focus person, their spouse, and their children. I can then expand the branch(s) I'm interested in - being able to use + and * keys would be an improvement.
John Elvin
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It looks as if at least two people would like to see this, but it's not made any progress to agreement in over a year. Is there anyone willing to generate the text for a Wish List request, for review and agreement by others?

I'm putting it on hold until that happens.
trevorrix
Famous

Re: On Hold until 22 Dec 2024: Descendants Tab

Post by trevorrix »

It is much easier to work in Diagrams/Charts that in the Focus Window. For example use the Ancestors and Descendants (Both) diagram, set generations up and down to All, use the clickable nodes to switch branches off and on, use your mouse scroll button to zoom in/out.
Trevor Rix
nconway567
Gold

Post by nconway567 »

If you're working on a small group of people (less than 10 generations), then either option is relatively easy to navigate. When you're dealing with 10+ generations, you're forced to zoom in and out to an almost microscopic level in a Diagram. Working and moving around in the focus screen/descendants tab is far easier to deal with than the chart. To clarify, the images are of the Descendants tab and a chart of the same family, 15 generations.

The descendant chart image is zoomed out to 14% in order to fit the entire tree. And this is only possible since I have a wide screen monitor. If I have 2 or more windows "snapped" then I have less screen real estate available for FH, which means more scrolling/dragging and zooming out in order to find which group of people you want to focus on, then zoom back in using the mouse scroll wheel or the options/zoom slider or the Area tool.

If I use the Focus/Descendants tab, I can expand each branch up to about the 12th generation when I have FH snapped. No left/right scrolling is necessary if I have FH full screen.
Focus1.jpg
Focus1.jpg (324.99 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Descendants 2.jpg
Descendants 2.jpg (84.08 KiB) Viewed 712 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

nconway567 wrote: 29 Dec 2023 17:28 If you're working on a small group of people (less than 10 generations), then either option is relatively easy to navigate. When you're dealing with 10+ generations, you're forced to zoom in and out to an almost microscopic level in a Diagram.
Have you tried a Waterfall Chart?